Author Topic: Writing Groups  (Read 9624 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Writing Groups
« on: December 01, 2003, 09:22:54 AM »
K, so November, and NaNoWriMo with it, is over.

Now what?

Well, MoD wanted an online writing group. Since you guys are the ones I trust the most to comment on my work, and since I can't meet with most of you on anything approaching a regular basis, an online groups sounds great. We can either create a forum here, or we can use writers-group.org, which is what i created it for. A mi no me importa.

The first question is, who's in?
The second question is how often?
and then follow other procedural questions. so, who's in?

Dravner

Re: Writing Groups
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 12:15:11 PM »
Go ahead and count me in.  This semester's a little tight on time, but that should be clearing up soon.  This'll give me a good push to get back into writing.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 12:22:09 PM »
Yes, I be in as well. I've only two weeks left of this stress filled world. So I can be in.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 12:28:30 PM »
I'm in after the holidays and semester are over--this is my time crunch right now, but it will change dramatically next month.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 12:35:34 PM »
Free fantasy? Me! Me!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 01:17:38 PM »
I'm in as well. This leads me to question, however, what our requirements are and how we're going to run this. Does everyone have to submit? Or will it be more of a review board where a large group reads over two or three peoples' stuff?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 01:24:21 PM »
I'd like to be a part of the group too

I think it would be helpful if everyone needs to write. NaNoWriMo got me started, and I think I need some requirements and deadlines to keep me going.

However, will the group only handle fantasy, or could we possibly submit other things such as articles as well? Between Saint, Fell and stacer, I think we have a wide pool of experience and expertise. What do you guys think?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 01:30:36 PM »
That's the next question. I think we should have a new chapter each week, possibly two during the week.

I don't suppose that everyone has to submit, though if more than one or two people are carrying it, that would be nice. I aim to start right away, so let's go with people that will participate as of next monday at the latest. If there's room for more, no problem.

I also wonder how we want to discuss it. I suppose a message board is fine, but chat would be more immediate.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 01:32:12 PM »
as for genre, I suppose it doesn't matter if people want to submit other than fantasy. However, each person much commit to reading and giving useful comments on every story or chapter. and NO mean comments. I have no problem with nonfiction either.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 01:44:12 PM »
Well, when you say "mean" I assume you are referring to "non constructive", rather than "all comments must be self-esteem boosting"?

Maybe we could schedule a weekly chat session (I suggest MSN because it has the multiple people in one chat session option), and then someone can post to the message board (TWG? or writing-group.org?), if they can't make the chat session for some reason.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 02:09:56 PM »
MSN doesnt work for me.

I motion for a IRC chatroom, its the best one for multi person chats.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2003, 03:14:36 PM »
I like IRC. MSN is just a sorts of eyesore for me.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 04:46:43 PM »
I vote for MSN, as I don't know how to use IRC. And I'll be willing to start reading next week, but won't be able to submit till after the 20th or so (when the semester is over). I won't be going home :-[, so I foresee that I'll actually have more time during the holidays than I was thinking.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 05:15:07 PM »
Not going home?? Sad! I did that one year and I don't intend to ever do it again. But what are you going to do without the $$ it takes?

I'm willing to be introduced to IRC, as it is supported by Trillian, but someone is going to have to walk me through it, as I find it all very confusing, and I'm not sure where to start. After I get set up, though, I can help stacer. If, that is, we all decide that IRC is what we want to go with.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 05:42:27 PM »
I vote for AIM, which also does multi-person and which I already use. Since I have no intention of installing MSN or IRC on this machine, that makes me kind of a stick in the mud. But since I've already chatted with just about all of you over AIM at one point or another, I know that you all have it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net