Author Topic: JLA: Riddle of the Beast  (Read 2748 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
JLA: Riddle of the Beast
« on: April 09, 2004, 04:13:32 PM »
I just discovere that theLogan library has a pretty big selection of graphic novels, so I checked out "The Return of Superman" (which I've read before and loved) and "Kingdom Come" (which I haven't read but really want to). While I was there I picked up "JLA: Riddle of the Beast" just because it looked cool. It's some kind of parallel world that puts the typical JLA characters into a fantasy setting, with Robin as the farmboy out to save the world. It starts out pretty promising, but got fairly boring by the end of the series--the focus too much on their concept and not enough on their story. Still, though, it's a pretty cool idea.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: JLA: Riddle of the Beast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 04:33:01 PM »
I own a hardcopy of that. It's actually, imo, the worst JLA story AND the worst Elseworlds book DC has ever published. It WANTED to be interesting, but it wasn't.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 04:34:44 PM »
Yeah, I agree. They did some clever things, but...it never got off the ground. Part of the problem might be that it was so short--they didn't have time to introduce all their cool fantasy JLA guys and still tell a story about them.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »
I just finished Kingdom Come, and holy crap--it was as good as I had been led to believe. I think it sidestepped a few of the major issues (such as the obvious Superman/Christ imagery that never really went anywhere), but on the other hand I thought it said some powerful things in the middle of a rousing story.

Plus, I want Heroclix to make a fig of the KC Green Lantern--that armor and lance are awesome.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 10:30:02 PM »
see, i tell no lies. Kingdom Come is easily the best comic I've ever read. Ok, not easily. Watchmen and Maus both come really close if not surpass it. but yeah, one of those three, no hesitation.

If your library has them, might I recommend some other graphic novels? (in addiction tot he above)
Thrillkiller (DC, Elseworlds) This is essentially what Tim Burton would have done with Batman if he had made the first Batman movie thirty years earlier. Except BATGIRL is the one throwing the team together. Interesting stuff.
Cerebus (Dave Sim). Any of them, but they're best if read in order. Sim takes an Aardvark furry spoof of Conan and plays with it for a couple years, then gets genius and runs with that baggage with Cerebus in the real world, and some very interesting things happen. It's not typical comic book art for the most part, but he knows how to use the images and he has some of the most interesting ideas for his foundation.
Kabuki: Circle of Blood (David Mack). A fusion of manga and American comic styles, it has partially a cyberpunk feel crossed with superspies. It's futuristic, and dark. Kabuki is an agent for a secretive government agency. An assassin witha personal vendetta. He keeps bringing up great ideas for the seting. But my favorite reason to read any Kabuki story is to look at how he fuses his art and text completely. this is where comics were meant to go.
Sandman (Neil Gaiman) (I think Tage has mentioned owning most of these) You know neil Gaiman from his prose. This is what really got him started. He manages to break away from traditional art AND storytelling, absorb some mythology, and still take off from a starting point of superheroes to make a completely original character and story.
Pretty much anything by Will Eisner, but particularly Last Day in Vietnam. see comments on will Eisner below. This one is a culturally and historically charged look at a soldier's last day on his tour of duty.
for curiosity's sake, Batman: Hong Kong. Not always clear that the multiple art styles merge, but both styles are conducive to the story and are fascinating to look at. The plot? Batman goes to Hong Kong to trap a snuff film engineer, andcan't get anywhere without the help of a newbie hero that he inspired.
I, Joker (DC, Elseworlds) in the future, the hero of Batman is worshipped, and "criminals" surgically altered to look like the 20/21st century Batman's rogues gallery are released annually for the inheritor of the legacy to hunt down-- only to preserve the cult status. Classic story of one man's insanity bent to goodness, bent back by others to preserve their power.
JLA: The Nail (DC, Elseworlds) This is more of a what if? story than anything else. What if isolationit Amish pacifist had found baby Kal-el in the field instead of Ma and Pa Kent? that's right, the JLA falls abart 30 years later to the machinations of Lex Luthor.
Metropolis (DC, Elseworlds) Cross the old silent movie with the idea of superman, and you get this. I totally didn't understand it until after I watched the film, but it's a very interesting setting. Not as great as some other stories, but intersting.

I can annotate to say why I like them if you would like)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 02:17:06 AM »
I'd love to hear why you like them, because I'm a glutton. I don't remember any of those titles specifically, though I can practically guarantee they don't have the Kabuki stuff. A fair amount of Scion and Sojourn, though, both of which I'd like to take a look at. Unfortunately, it looks like most of the stuff is Manga and Star Wars comics (whoever built up their collection had some obvious biases). I think the next on my list is Knightfall, of which they have three volumes--are there more than three, or is that the whole thing?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 07:34:35 AM »
ok, i'll edit the list above once I'm at work.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 08:28:22 PM »
They have a bunch of Will Eisners, but not eh one you mentioned. What can you tell me about him?

I ended up with a weird little assortment of whatever looked interesting at first glance (I was there on my lunch break with my 2-year old, so I didn't have much time). I grabbed two more JLA elseworld stories, the Origin of Wolverine (which I've had my eye on for a while), the first of the Scion series, and World Without Superman (since I've read about his death and his return, but not what happened in the middle). My daughter grabbed a Futurama book off the same shelf and insisted on checking it out, which I thought was pretty cool, so we'll be reading that as well.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 08:52:43 PM »
Wow, this thread has been useful. I had a amazon.com gift certificate I'd been meaning to use, but wasn't sure what I'd spend it on. Now I feel satisfied.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 09:17:37 PM »
I totally forgot to give my reasons. My headache is too large to do it now. I may not get ANYTHING done tonight

Will Eisner is probably the first person to seriously talk about comics being more than a "vaudvillian" art form. He's most famous for his character The Spirit, who was sort of a masked private dick.  Some brilliant work there. But he also did a series called Life on Another Planet which was a sci-fi investigation about the implications of finding .. well.. life on another planet. How it would affect different people, etc.

There's also A Contract With God, which was about Jewish urban life, I recommend athat one too. He teaches now (i think still) at New York School fo visual Art, a course on "Sequential Art," the text book for which her wrote and you can get (i recommend it, even if you're not an artist, just to get a feel for some of the different things that are going on in comics. Graphic Storytelling and visual Narrative is another of his for hte more lay reader.

Basically, he's been around for more than 50 years, knew many of the original cartoonists that made it big at all, and the whole industry is inspired by him.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 09:25:56 PM »
oh, I will say this; I recommend Dc elseworlds because the writers have more freedom to play with the characters. Most of the time this works out really well and you get some briliant stories. In the case of Riddle of the Beast it didn't work out, but in so many others it does.

There's a four issue Wolverine story that I can't swear has been put into a collected format, but it should. I can't remember title right now. When I find it, I'll let you know.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 04:58:03 PM »
I forgot to mention that I also checked out volume one of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's a little more racy than I was expecting, but the art is quirkily cool and the writing is excellent.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 05:00:48 PM »
oo... there's a two volume collected edition of LXG that I covet covet covet.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
Scion turned out to be pretty good as well, or at least the first collection (there's at least five). It's a techno-fantasy epic done in serialized comicbook form, so it's a really interesting change of pace from the superhero stuff.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 03:37:28 AM »
I liked Scion so much that I decided to try some other CrossGen stuff. Sojourn, unfortunately, turned out to be really bad. The writing is poor, the world is flat and unimaginative, and the art, while proficient, seems more concerned with cheesecake than storytelling. The plot is actually pretty cool, and the villain is awesome, but everything else is just...blah. (Except for the writing--that was worse than blah.)