Author Topic: Article: Maus  (Read 1512 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Article: Maus
« on: June 04, 2004, 09:32:09 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=764

In case you didn't get the picture, this is a good book. If you are interested in biography or history at all, pick it up and read it.

I don't, however, recommend it to all comic book readers. That entirely depends on what you read comics for. Spiegleman DOES make excellent use of the medium, however, so it's a good 'un.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: Article: Maus
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:47:36 PM »
I remember reading both maus books, they were very good, and actually quite powerfully written. I especially liked the distinguishing of peoples by use of diferent anthropomorphized animals, and I dont think youcan write about how horrible the hollocaust was, I think the visual aids were necessary in order to deliver a significant impact. also it was very interesting to hear about what he had to do to stay alive, like bartering with other prisoners and guards just to get food, also how he kept openning up the wound on his hand in order to stay in the invalid bunk...
those books are really good
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 10:56:51 AM »
SE you just saved my life.  I need a biography to read over the summer for AP Language and Composition and I could find NOTHING interesting at all.  I will take you word for this one.  Thanks a ton.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 10:59:36 AM »
as ARK pointed out, there are two books, a part I "My Father Bleeds History" and part II "And Here My Troubles Began." my review was of the two as a whole.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 11:11:20 AM »
Well, then I shall read both.  I will probably have to end up reading a WWII biography for my AP Euro history anyway.  One for one class and the other for another.  Even if it's not manditory, if they are as good as you say they are they're worth a look at.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 11:23:43 PM »
They are very good, but not for the weak of stomach or heart, especially the part in which he talks about his mother's suicide, I think it's in the second one bubt I could be mistaken, all I know is it was incredibly sad.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/