Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 15530 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2004, 02:12:51 AM »

Just out of curiousity, if an entire forum should fail to have a post for over a month, does the forum die? Or would the poster that resurrects a thread therein be also subject to such a blast of ire? And if you're looking to kill a thread, why don't you just wield that handy-dandy sysop power and delete it?

Just consider those to be rhetorical questions.

Not really.  It doesn't always apply I guess, but I think with you it won't be an issue because you're an adult with, you know, social skills.

We got a wave of teenage newbies all at once and they posted in like every thread just for kicks.

And things don't get deleted because we like to quash the spirits of others through sarcasm and insults instead of deleteing free speech.

;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2004, 09:50:55 AM »
it's not really resurrecting old threads, again, it's adding no content at all. People don't start new threads to say "yeah" but they do resurrect threads to do so.

New threads are brought up when there's a new discussion -- usually predicated on new ideas. In the rare occassions when the new comment DOES relate to the previous discussion, the usual practice is to resurrect the old one.

Finally, deleting threads takes time. not much, I know, but it does require the admins to pay attention to when a thread is old enough. Since it's all volunteer, it's MUCH more efficient to correct someone when they do soemthing wrong. Plus it's good to have an archive for reference. People can go back and read the old stuff.

This really rubs you wrong doesn't it? Which means you've forgotten the cardinal rule for ALL forums: become familiar with THAT particular forum's nuances before joining hte community. People don't want their idiosynchrocies argued about. We have established practices. Too bad, that's not going to change, sarcasm or no.

btw, if you DO have something legitimate to say about Jordan, something that doesn't repeat what's been said before, please post it. We DO want to hear new thoughts. We just don't want a foundationless slam (even though I agree with you).

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2004, 10:27:13 AM »
You know, I'm now really tempted to start a thread that just says "Yeah".
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2004, 04:10:43 PM »
But then I would prod you with the learning stick.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2004, 04:28:20 PM »
I would reply with "Hey Man" and only Fellfrosch and Brenna and some other TLE people would laugh.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 04:28:31 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan