Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 15522 times)

Chaosman

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Pie, oh yeah, I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
Wheel of Time
« on: May 15, 2003, 11:04:20 PM »
Anyone else here read Robert Jordan's Wheel of time Series? If so, what are you impressions/ theories/favorite moments?
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Wheel of Time
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 11:23:43 PM »
HAHAHAH! I GET TO SET THE TONE! (Jordan fans run and hide in fear).

I read the first hundred pages. Got so bored I wanted to cry. I only read that far because i was on a camping trip and woke up at 5 am and that was the ONLY book around and no one was awake. I was too cold to leave the fire and not hungry enough to rifle for food. I disliked many things about the experience, and I probably won't try it again. But I'll leave this little hate letter for Robert Jordan short this time and let someone else talk it up.

And yes, cuz someone will eventually mention it, yes, I am jealous. I'd love to make bank like him off writing whatever slop came out of my pen. But that doesn't mean I can't legitimately dislike his work (I don't like Stephen King either, incidentally).

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 12:39:33 AM »
You know, Robert Jordan is really lucky to have a wife, who just so happened to be an editor at Tor. You think he would write better women character's then.

I read I think the first six books. I would recommend to someone the first three, but then they should stop. they've become very formulated to the point where it has become unbelievable. Over all I'm dissapointed in Robert Jordan for not stopping the series sooner. He could have made a new series in the same world and probably have made better novels and more money.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 03:47:55 AM »
There's a pretty extensive discussion of WoT in the "So, what's everyone reading thread" if you care to take a peek.

For myself, I read the first four books before I got sick of it.  The first book was amazing and really had me itching for more, but after that it is all downhill.  Long, irrelevant descriptions and the juggling of too many uninteresting characters made me quit reading.  

Consequently, King is one of my favorite authors, but that's kinda OT :)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 08:35:01 AM »
Eh. I own most, and have read all of, the first 10.

At this moment in time, i cannot be bothered to read any more. I might as well just wait until he does the last one and then read the last 10 pages in the bookstore.

It is a pity because it is a very interesting world, with a good backstory, but the more recent books are very... uninspiring.

Overall, i would recommend you get them from a library. If you must have your fantasy fix, try games workshops "Black Library" division. They have very good stuff, and they are all based against an excellent world with a ongoing metaplot (much better than white wolfs one for a lot of reasons).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 06:35:54 PM »
Even I will admit that RJ tends to stretch descriptions out too far, but not nearly as far as so called greats like Dickens or Cather. The last book was sort of disappointing, but I will still read the series. I like the epic expanse of the novels, though many lack the attention span/time required to appreciate them. I also agree that some of the characters could have been cut (I demand a Mat only novel!). All in all, I still find it well worth my time to read.
Is trhere no one hear that agrees with me?
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 07:41:42 PM »
RJ has the whole epic thing down, he just needs to get rid of a lot of characters or give them their own novels rather than lumping them all together.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 07:46:56 PM »
TBH... it should never have got this far. Many of the plotlines too up far too much space, and had little overall effect. He could have wrapped it up around book 8, and made a nice, consise, epic fantasy series. As it is... Im avoiding it for now.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 10:55:20 PM »
wow. Compare him to Terry Brooks and he's a hero. Measure him objectively and it looks like everyone thinks he kind of sucks.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 02:07:40 AM »
Feel free to bash Willa Cather, Chaosman, but don't mess with Dickens. Some of the "so called greats" are great for a reason.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 08:22:26 AM »
er... can *I* bash Dickens? Since I've studied literature and still don't like him? I find him dull, but more exciting than Mellville. My favorite of the realists is Austen, which isn't saying much, as many of you have heard what I have to say about *her*. You'd think with my hostility toward realism I'd like Romanticism. But no dice. Well, that's not entirely true, there are a number of romanticists I quite enjoy. I think I just don't pin myself to a movement, but there are certain movements toward which my philosophy and theory of literature are hostile.

Which is to say I like cervantes and a lot of gothic Spanish stuff and Medieval and Renaissance literature.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 12:30:22 PM »
Just FYI Chaos half the people on this site are english/litature/art graduates.  So they pretty much hate everything, haveing been subjected to untold amounts of crap in school.  I've never read the books (haveing heard more bad things then good about the series), but most people I've talked to basicaly agree with 42.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2003, 05:05:25 PM »
lol. I know lots of english majors here who hate the books too. Oddly, thier the only ones I know who have read it and hated it. I'm a writer my self, and thats why I could never be an english major  :P

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2003, 11:18:52 PM »
Hrmph. The resident Comparative Literature major styles himself a writer too (and has some print evidence to back this up). And at least two English majors and an art major feel the same.

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2003, 11:29:20 PM »
Sorry, in joke. I always jibe my friends that I couldn't be an English major and a writer, because I don't want to hate myself. (They hate everything that was ever written -- Jordan, Tolkien, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Me....)