Author Topic: review: Exile  (Read 1301 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Exile
« on: August 19, 2004, 11:22:28 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=812

Despite my loathing for such things generally, some of these books are much better than others. Having had time to read little that wasn't specifically to review for TWG, this was the most enjoyable thing I've read in several months.

Still, it wasn't amazing, just fairly solid.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: review: Exile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:30:47 PM »
You seemed kinda harsh on it. For a review with so few critisms, i would have thought 4.5 or 5 would be appropriate. You had the D&D complaint (not really appropriate, IMO, for a lot of people who would consider reading it) and the characterisation (which seems pretty invalid to me - you want to try living with no contact with civilisation for a year or two and seeing how your personality copes?). I mean, your review and all, but it just seemed a bit like you were deliberately leaning on it for being D&D. Bias! :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »
you do realize that 4 clocks means "Good. The game/movie has numerous problems, but is fun/enjoyable enough to suffer through the bad parts" right?
THat's EXACTLY what I said about it.

My approach is to review the book as a BOOK. People who don't mind the D&D stuff are supposed to think "Well, that doesn't bother me, so I won't mind it." My job is to tell you what the features are, and why I think some features detract and others add. That's what I did.

Incidentally, if it werent' an established system, I wouldn't award clocks at all. It's a terribly artificial rating system and doesn't do even a summary of the review any justice. If I say something you don't think is so bad, then you immediately look at the clocks to see if it's not justified. No one knows what the clocks mean, even people who do some of the reviews, but using the definitions for the clocks is the only way I can justify giving them at all.

If I lived a year or two away from civilization I imagine I would have some trouble adapting. I do not, however, believe that I would COMPLETELY lose control of myself WHILE TELLING A sTORY TO CHILDREN and put them all in mortal peril. Drizzt, however, does. And he's never completely alone. He has his panther, who, while she can't talk, is certainly of sentience level intelligence, and he has regular contact with the Myconid colony. Sorry, no, it wasn't believable.

However, I do also mention that his description of the nature of the underdark is far from distinct and not something you can put yourself into unless you know what it's like from another source. This too, is a problem.

Finally, he has silly names. Maybe that sounds minor, but when they keep coming up, it's distracting and damages the feel for the book.

I say ALL of this at various points in the review.

I stand by my rating, and disregard your charge of being harsh on it for being a D&D book

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 11:09:54 PM »
Arg.

I have to admit something.

With so much heavy journal reading this summer, I needed something light  and brainless that I could enjoy reading.

I have turned to D&D novels. ..having never read any before.

First I read the first two of the latest Drizzt trilogy, which are fun...and the second one quite gripping actually.  I just hate how all Dwarves in the Realms have ridiculous names.  It really breaks the verisimilitude.  I'd probably appreciate these a little more if I'd read all the previous Drizzt books,  but I know enough of the Realms and the characters to get by.

More entertaining is the War of the Spider Queen series which is a hoot.  It's feels llike somebody wrote up a bunch of really good D&D sessions...and I mean that in a good way.  It's still cheese, but it's deli cheese, not canned.

There...I said it. :)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:22:46 PM »
it's fine to have a guilty pleasure. there are worse things you could do to relax. Like sell crack to an orphanage.

Anyway, I have three of the War of the Spider Queen, but I won't review them. After my experience with Windalker I don't think it's fair to review a book that is obviously dependent on the early books of the trilogy to make sense. So, since I have books 3, 4 and 5, I'm not going to touch them. I expect to get book 6 in hard copy (because book 5 came in hardcopy) so if you want it, all it will cost you is postage. you'll just owe me a review.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:55:16 PM »
Fair enough. You defended the rating. I was under the impression that 4.5 was closer to the 4 clock definition.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch