Author Topic: Identity Crisis  (Read 4144 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Identity Crisis
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »
So has anyone on the board been reading this series?

It's getting press.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/09/11/superhero.suffering.ap/index.html
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Identity Crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 05:10:34 PM »
     That looks like a really cool idea, to me at least. One of the big reasons that I like Batman over Superman is that the conflicts werent all external, Batman had a sinister side that surfaced from time to time. He wasnt that perfect, immortal hero that Superman was and that made it much more interesting to me. I think this is along those same lines.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:48:18 PM »
I have to say that's a very superficial reading of Superman, Archon. After all, Batman has never killed anyone. Superman has, on purpose. Three of them, to be exact.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »
     Ok well I am not nearly as far into comics as it seems like some of you are, so I have a couple questions. How did he kill them? Why did he kill them? And how much did it affect him internally?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 03:37:21 PM »
He thinks about it all the time. The simplest way to put it is you know the plot of Superman II? That was based on a story from the comics. Except the three bad guys were from an alternate dimension Krypton. Supes killed them because he didn't think he could contain them any other way. It comes up all the time.

the only way you CAN write a superman story worth reading is to make it pscyhological. There's no external challenge he can't just walk through. This is not to say that Batman is NOT full of internal conflict. There's boatloads of that. I"m just saying that Superman has more than you think, so you obviously haven't read much.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
    I just like the character that Batman has though, the whole thing is dark and gothic. Batman himself is constantly torn up by his parents death, the cause of his eventual heroism. He faces villains like Scarecrow who prey on his psyche and that is really cool. His opponents dont just make it easy to find them either. They have plans that are a little less straight forward than going into the middle of the city and starting to tear it apart until someone gives them what they want. Additionally, he is a regular person. That is one of the things that makes me like him so much. Superman can toss cars around, Batman actually has to outsmart his enemies to defeat them. But the main point is that I think Batman has much more eating at him than Superman does.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 09:22:19 PM »
Well, this argument is really unimportant, since we all know that marvel kicks DC's butt any day of the week.  I mean, arguing about which DC character is the lesser of two evils is about as important as deciding if brocolli or asparagus is better, it's just not that important.  And for the record, Green Lantern is the best DC hero.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 09:31:06 PM »
Well granted that Lantern has a really cool power, and I like him as a hero, but still not as much as Batman.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 09:40:58 PM »
for the most part, marvel's writing really sucks. whenever they try to do a graphic novel with differen tart, the art ends up sucking as well. DC's just a better company.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »
Okay, maybe graphic novels, I never got into American hero graphic novels, so I wouldn't know.  But character design by marvel is infinately better in my opinion.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 10:35:45 PM »
DC created Superman and Batman, almost inarguably the two most well-loved superheroes of all time (Spider-man is the third in the trinity, though where he sits depends on who you talk to), but since then Marvel has eclipsed them in terms of cool, likeable characters that people identify with. In my opinion. I consider that DC has much better writing, and a greater willingness to push the envelope of comics as art, but I don't think that people connect to the characters as well as to Marvel. I don't know why this is, but that is what I have observed in myself and the majority of people I talk to.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 07:40:29 AM »
I would say that's a fair assessment. I think it's because Marvel's characters are more human. Even their "invincible" characters aren't so far gone. With a few exceptions. And they're all tormented (again with a few exceptions).

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 06:57:34 PM »
A few notes:

Superman (and Lois) off the three evil Kryptonians in Superman II, NOT III.  

And when Batman first appeared, not only did he kill off baddies (like the pulp heroes he was modeled on) but he routinely packed a gun.  It took years of character  development for Batman to become the Dark Knight we know today.

So, can we PLEASE deal with the topic of this thread?   How does everybody like Identity Crisis?  Who do you think the killer is?  I have my own theory.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 07:01:40 PM »
Uhm... SE actually said Superman II. And he has not edited his post or anything.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 10:51:14 PM »
I'd love to discuss it, but I haven't read any of it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net