Author Topic: Oh Discordia!  The Dark Tower SPOILERS  (Read 1614 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Oh Discordia!  The Dark Tower SPOILERS
« on: September 26, 2004, 08:12:12 PM »
I would hear your thoughts on this book, and I would hear them very well.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Discordia!  The Dark Tower SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 11:42:45 PM »
Ok, can anyone explain to me how much connection there is between the Crimson King as seen here and in Insomnia (which I've read) and the thing in IT, which I have not read.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 01:16:50 AM »
IT really has no connection to the DT other than two major things:

1) The Turtle.  A major player in IT.  A major player in DT.
See the turtle of enormous girth.

2) Dandelo.  The creature in IT is very similar to Dandelo.  It's not a direct connection, but it's close enough for government work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 01:18:17 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 01:23:16 AM »
So did you stop at the 'good' ending?  I tried to, but had to see.  I thought the full ending was very appropriate.  You could see Roland shifting into his previous callousness after the ka-tet broke.  The last few books you forgot what a hard-case he is b/c of his ka-tet.  He deserved what he got, that's for sure.

What I want to know if this purgatory he is in makes the whole journey a sham?  Is the DT really putting itself and the universe at risk of destruction each time Roland goes through or has it never been in danger?

Also, while I'm glad Suze got the happy ending, I don't think it's quite fair.  Roland said they would be tempted to turn away as they approached the DT, and she gave in.  It's not the real Eddie or Jake, but she still ends up happy.  I think it would have been more appropriate for something bad to happen to her for giving in to temptation.  Well, that's what my head says.  My heart is happy to see them all together again and happy.

Maybe, someday, if Roland redeems himself, he'll join them.  Maybe.

Edit:  Oh, and for YEARS I waited to see how the scene of Roland and Jake from Insomnia would fit into the DT.  It's obvious now that King didn't know exactly where he was going when he wrote that. So how does he explain it away?  It's not true, just a trick to mislead Roland.  Well played, sai King.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 01:25:25 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 02:38:06 AM »
First, no of course I didn't stop.  The next time I read through the cycle I might, but - I can't believe anyone would BUY the book and not read the full ending.

Susannah's ending bothered me a bit too, in the same way.  Everyone else dies for Roland but her?  How does that work?  Or was her part bringing about Mordred  - who was a HUGE disappointement.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 02:40:31 AM »
IT really has no connection to the DT other than two major things:

1) The Turtle.  A major player in IT.  A major player in DT.
See the turtle of enormous girth.

2) Dandelo.  The creature in IT is very similar to Dandelo.  It's not a direct connection, but it's close enough for government work.

See, just the whole Crimson King-as-spider thing and then with Mordred, I was fairly expecting him to catch Roland in his deadlights or something.

Perhaps if I'd read IT, I'd not have thought that.

Dandelo bothered the heck out of me.  It was like stealing someone else's fairy tale and just sticking it in there.  And why?  To kill off Mordred, because he decided he couldn't do anything else with him?  It was well-written, well-played, but something about it bothered me.

I have to say the thing I liked most about this book was being able to finally see into Oy's mind.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 03:06:43 AM »
Mordred really bothered me.  Biggest waste since Darth Maul.

He's made to be such a big threat when he kills Flagg, but doesn't do anything!  Suze should have had to sacrifice herself to stop it, not Oy.

Even though I disagree with Suze's ending, Roland did HAVE to enter the Tower alone.  I would have accepted nothing less.

I don't know about Dandelo.  I thought he was okay and fit in well with things.  Plus, I thought Stuttering Bill was the coolest!  The whole thing was worth it for the robot alone.