Author Topic: So...what's everyone reading?  (Read 39413 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: So...what's everyone reading?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2003, 04:31:38 PM »
After all this time, I'm amazed it took us this long to start a "let's bash Shannara and WoT" thread. It brings a tear of joy to me eye.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2003, 05:26:45 PM »
HAHA! We made Dan cry!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2003, 11:11:25 PM »
Ummmm, I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I kinda liked the Shannera books.  They weren't great literature by any means, but the original Sword of Shannera is one of the books that originally got me interested not only in fantasy but in role-playing as well.  True, most of the concepts are direct rip-offs from (ahem) a certain OTHER trilogy, yet each book was self-contained and there were incredibly cool characters thrown into the mix.  

And for the record, Wheel of Time just makes me want to bash my head against a wooden door.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2003, 01:56:31 AM »
I'm proud to say I haven't read either series.  I was going to start Reading WoT a while ago but EUOL advised me against it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2003, 03:12:30 AM »
Well, I've decided to reread the first five books of Amber in order to prepare to (hopefully) run a long term Amber campaign sometime in the near future.  

I'll be stacking the WoT books to use as a footrest, though, so I'm getting some use out of them.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »
You're allowed to like Shannara, Slant, you're just not allowed to be proud of it. Honestly, they were some of the only fantasy out there at the time, and much more accessible than Tolkien, so I think a lot of people got into Fantasy that way.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2003, 01:51:46 PM »
I'll be stacking the WoT books to use as a footrest, though, so I'm getting some use out of them.

what a good idea! And you can use "the world of robert jordans wheel of time" as toilet paper! No book like that should be released in the middle of a series it should be released at the end

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2003, 05:21:25 PM »
That's the thing--the series will never end.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2003, 08:42:16 AM »
book 35 - the final battle

the creator shows up and blows the dark one to oblivion with balefire - the end

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2003, 12:54:31 AM »
Just read The Book of Three for the first time in my life. I really have been avoiding it, mainly because of the Disney movie The Black Cauldron, which was horrendous. But the book itself wasn't so bad, for middle grade high fantasy--you know, a beginner's LotR. Eilonwy is highly annoying, but at least she's a strong female character.

What I don't get is this--and maybe the rest of the series will help explain it more--why is the book called The Book of Three? It touches on the Book lightly, but it's all about the quest to warn the Dons and to find Hen Wen. I don't see the connection.

I still say that Alexander's writing leaves something to be desired, but maybe that's because it's been imitated so much (or would you say he follows the Romance/epic tradition anyway?) rather than because it's not imaginative or tight. In fact, I'd even have to admit that I liked the detailed description coupled with an ability to move events along.

And I'm starting now on Nancy Farmer's The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm, which won the Newbery several years ago. Science fiction now. So far it's pretty good. It's the same author who wrote The House of the Scorpion that just came out last year. Can't remember, but I think Scorpion won the Printz, which is the Newbery-like honor for young adult fiction. I've read that--very good. Thought-provoking about Mexican-American relations as it involves drug traffiking and illegal immigration.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2003, 06:04:24 PM »
That's one of my favorite series, I've got all the books in it.  And yes Disney did ruin it.  Aren't you glad they never made the Hobbit even though they wanted to.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2003, 11:21:44 PM »
The books get better as they go along, with the exception of #4 which is far better than any of the others. I imagine the first is called The Book of Three just because it made the most resonant title.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2003, 11:29:55 PM »
#4 is taren the wander right?  That one was realy good, but different.  Yet not as odd as #3.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2003, 01:27:50 PM »
Yeah, Taran Wanderer. It's very different from all of the others, because the conflicts are less epic but more important. The series gets my full approval based on that book alone (though I like the other 4 a lot, too).

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2003, 01:42:52 PM »
Its such a sad series too.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!