Author Topic: So...what's everyone reading?  (Read 39437 times)

Lord_of_Me

Re: So...what's everyone reading?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2003, 03:53:04 PM »
i've read the first three and am half way through 4. Apart from some annoying LOTR similarities they're really good

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2003, 05:20:56 PM »
I quite WoT after I read book 4.  It started out good, but it was just getting tedious by then.  Jordan seemed to have lost the ability to move a plot forward.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2003, 06:18:03 PM »
ive got, and read, the first 9 WoT books. I keep on eyeing book 10 in the bookstore.
So sue me.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2003, 07:34:41 PM »
I've been a WoT fan since about 93 or 94, but with each new book I get more disgusted. He's dragging it out. I still haven't finished book 10, which I borrowed, and I have a feeling that if I skip right on to book 11 (which, of course, will take three years to get published), I wouldn't miss anything. Too much yapping and not enough actually happening.

He did such a good job at the beginning of creating good characters and moving the plot along, but he's just tied himself into knots lately, adding all these stupid minor characters that no one cares about and no longer focusing on the original main characters. It took him four chapters in book 10 to describe one morning of Perrin's life in which nothing happened. Nothing. Zilch. Sheesh!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2003, 11:28:05 AM »
wow, that's bad, i thought they'd get more exciting as it went on. How many books are there, i've got 1 - 9

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2003, 09:50:02 PM »
So far, 10. The most recent one is called Crossroads of Twilight. And who knows how long he'll drag it out. I'm hoping for a quick, clean ending in book 11. Come on, no series can hold out longer than that, can it? But I still want to know how it ends, and if he can really pull these threads together--the ones I care about, at least, which he seems to have lost interest in (what's going on with Moiraine? etc).

I did like Jordan's style of writing, to begin with. I guess it's the same with any series, though--what's fresh and inventive in the first book is stale in later books. He seems to be creating one mega-woman character and one mega-man character, slapping them all down on the page, and making minor changes in appearance, so that they're all the same at the end of the series, where they were different people at the beginning--they're all suspicious, they won't TALK TO EACH OTHER.

How much easier would all their lives be if they simply decided to have a correlation meeting once a week? "So, Egwene, how's the siege going?" "Great, Rand, how's that cleansing of saidin going?" etc. Unity these characters ain't got. It occurs to me that the Forsaken were more organized in earlier books, as far as communication goes, than the good guys are in latter books.

And why does it even matter to me?

<sigh>

I guess I just have to know how it ends, even if I'm frustrated. It's my own fault. ::)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2003, 02:04:59 AM »
That's why I stopped reading them before I got hooked.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2003, 12:54:44 PM »
sob... it's too late for me :-/

seriously though did anyone else notice the LotR similarities in the first few books

here are a few examples:
myrdraal = black rider
moraine = Gandalf
lan = aragorn
3 young characters flleing their home = 4 young hobbits
whitecloaks and trollocs in the shire = the scouring of the shire

and so on....

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2003, 07:57:53 PM »
uhh, yeah. like most every other fantasy book in existance Isimir.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2003, 02:02:48 AM »
It's not as bad as Shannara, but it's still pretty dang bad.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2003, 02:05:30 AM »
Wow, I can remember reading the first Jordan book and thinking that absolutely nothing happened (*spoiler* aside from the main character leaving his village), and yet you guys make it sound like a thrilling novel compared to his most recent books.  
That's kinda scary.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2003, 01:17:34 PM »
what's "shannara"?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2003, 01:20:59 PM »
It's Lord of the Rings for Dummies

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2003, 02:15:41 PM »
Shannara is poo. Take LOTR, remove the epic fantasy elements, remove the interesting characters, remove the good storyline, and add a few genericv fighting bits (i swear fantasy authors have a [insert name here] type template for sieges and other typical battle types) and you have Shannara.

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2003, 04:20:35 PM »
See, I hear that sort of thing a lot. But I could actually READ the Shannara books. Unlike WoT, which bored me to death on each page.

And while Brooks steals liberally from LotR, he isn't trying to include every real life word that has a vague mystical or fantasy connotation. He uses the Druids, true, and makes them not very like real historical druids, but Jordan tries the Sidhe, Beltane, Shaitan, and more, all in the first couple chapters, and none of them seem to have much connection at all to their real world counterparts and seem to be included simply because he could seem multicultural and knowledgeable. One or two I can excuse, but when you basically are making references to ancient cultures just because you can and don't mean to allude to the actual culture at all, well, why?