Author Topic: Writing Books  (Read 1640 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Writing Books
« on: November 28, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »
For Christmas I am going to ask for some books on writing, and especially worldbuilding. Any suggestions?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Writing Books
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »
I know 42 will tell you the same thing, a book called "How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card is a good one. As well there are probably 6 or 7 more in that series. It's called the "Elements of Fiction Writing." You should go to your local library (if they are being threatened to being closed like some libraries in a county called Erie) and see if they've got them.

There's also Stephen L. Gillett's "World-Building" book. If you want to make sure your planets are the correct circumference, have the right gases, and are close enough to a star to have any viable lifeforms, then this book is for you. There's also plenty of formulas to be used, and understood. Have fun with that...
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »
Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird is a common suggestion. I found it had a couple good ideas but it was less than spectacularly helpful

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:36:51 PM »
You may also want to get some books that are just helpful as you write. The Chicago Manual of Style and Elements of Style are useful.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 11:54:53 PM »
Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird is a common suggestion. I found it had a couple good ideas but it was less than spectacularly helpful

I agree. I never really got more than halfway through it.

And I second 42 on the style guides. Elements is a nice, short little book that reads well.

I also sometimes use A Writer's Book of Days because it has some good rushwrite prompts that have spurred good writing sessions. It's got a lot of good beginner advice, plus inspirational writing quotes, but the best part is the prompts.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing