Author Topic: Kidnapped by Hippies  (Read 5630 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Kidnapped by Hippies
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 04:06:12 AM »
You know, studies have proven that slight cooking helps release nutrients in vegetables.  Steamed broccoli is better for you than the raw stuff.  (you know you spend too much time on Wikipedia when you nearly end your post with "~~~~")
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »
Hey, where's Chimera? Shouldn't she be back from Sprout Camp by now? I don't know about you guys, but I'm worried. Those hippies might've decided they liked her too much to give her back to us!

Edit: Um, this is a rather ominous sign. If these ads are any indication, we'll never see our dear Chimera again!

Vegetable Raised Gardens
Create many shapes and heights Grow more vegetables in less space!

Sprouting Supplies
Manual and Electric Sprouters and Organic Sprouting Seed
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 03:53:12 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »
She probably had some sort of epiphany concerning the quality of our company.

Darn epiphanies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 06:49:58 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »
Nah, can't be. What's more wholesome than TWG? No empty calories here, I dare say. But we are rather carnivorous... hmm.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
You know, studies have proven that slight cooking helps release nutrients in vegetables.  Steamed broccoli is better for you than the raw stuff.  (you know you spend too much time on Wikipedia when you nearly end your post with "~~~~")

Althought cooking the dark, leafy greens does denature the leutine and xeoxanthine, making them essentially worthless.  You have to eat the stuff raw to get the benefit of those antioxidants.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 10:57:48 PM »
You mean steamed spinach isn't good for me?  Aww.  I loved steamed spinach!  What about Popeye?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »
Popeye eats it straight out of the can, boy. No cooking for him. Though I don't suppose you can call from a can reall "raw"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 09:15:01 AM »
yeah cooked in a pressure cooker and then canned isnt exactly raw
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 06:19:21 PM »
I'm back! I'm alive!

Actually, I've been back for over a week. But I've been super busy. I wanted to have time to write about my experience and report it to you, and there never was time, so I stayed away because I knew I'd be tempted to waste time (hence TWG). I want to tell all who are interested about it, because there was so much that was positive about the experience. But I'll have to do that sometime in the near future on my LJ and provide a link, because it'd be much too long. And then only those who are really interested will have to read a long post about it.

In short, I am eating a lot more raw vegetables and trying to make veggies my main food staple, and it seems to be helping. However, I have not become a vegetarian. I lost weight while I was there, and I don't have any weight to lose currently. No matter how you look, being under 100 pounds is a bad thing. My blood sugar also crashed. So, to make sure I don't waste away and my energy can stablelize, I put protein back into my diet. That also seemed to be a good move. And I have successfully cut sugar out of my diet. I have been sugar-free for a month now. Go me! :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »
Welcome back, Chimera!

Those are all very good ideas. I love veggies, but for some reason it's really hard to put them as a priority in my diet--mainly for time reasons. And I've been meaning to get rid of processed foods (sugar, white flour) for a while, but it's the easiest thing to eat. I'm going to have to try again. I think it would really help my overall health, even if it is that I'm just plain allergic to Seattle (you missed, I think, how my doctor told me that if I didn't start having allergy shots, I'd have to either move away or live in a bubble?).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 12:13:03 AM »
Chimera, you're alive! Phew. Honestly, I was worried that maybe you really crashed after the OHI thing. I'm sorry to hear about the weight loss and low blood sugar.

But it's great that now you can tailor your diet to your needs even better after the trip. The no-sugar for a month thing is *quite* the accomplishment, too! Welcome back! :D
--Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 12:43:53 AM »
The no-sugar for a month thing is *quite* the accomplishment, too! Welcome back! :D

But if you want to gain weight it 'aint gonna help.  Take it from an expert on gaining weight.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »
Gaining weight san-sugar is pretty hard. At the mental health center we "force" the anorexics to eat lots of sugar. They usually often have to have a booster shake with their meal.

That's the fastest way I know of to gain weight is to have a breakfast or diet shake with your meal.

Course, if you aren't underweight, going vegan and avoiding sugar is a great way to lose weight.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
The sugar thing for you only applies to simple sugars right?
So you could carb load. Ie.. lots of Pasta and wheat bread and stuff.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 12:39:41 PM »
Welcome back!

I'm no nutritionist, but I think a good serving of pasta or bread is a good way to maintain a healthy weight. I realize not many people have to worry about wasting away, but for those of us that do, carbs are a good thing. :)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."