Author Topic: Mohammed Cartoons controversey  (Read 7708 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Mohammed Cartoons controversey
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »
actually, the Fatwa against Rushdie can't be held against the current Iran. It was Khomeni who instituted it, and the current govt has tried to distance themselves from it. They're just religiously unable to repeal the Fatwa. The issuer dying while it's in force makes it permanent or something

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »
still I find it ironic that Iran would rather just print holocaust cartoons rather than advocate the death of all Danes.

on that note, I think Im gonna have a Danish.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
Absolutely.  I second that motion.   :)

Edit:  Originally, I was seconding the free speech for everyone idea.  But I'll have a Danish too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:31:41 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2006, 05:35:41 PM »
Hahaha. Good comic, even though, without captions, it is a little hard to tell when the person speaking changes.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2006, 12:19:08 PM »
The cartoons were first printed in September and it's, what, four months after they're printed that the mass riots start. Incidentally, the riots start after the January elections in Muslim countries (Palestine, etc.), because that's when they first were distributed among the middle eastern population.

And, somehow, it coincides with the Danish representative about to take leadership in the UN security council in June.

Coincidence?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 12:31:27 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
Absolutely. To argue that people within the Muslim community (or out of it, for that matter) would be deliberately trying to incite anger and resentment within the community for their own personal gain would be irrational. After all, what do they have to gain except power and a great deal of money?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2006, 09:05:11 AM »
I don't see the money angle.

But I don't think you can argue against the power/control thing.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
   * On the February 15, the European Parliament accepts a resolution in which in condemns all cartoon violence. It states that the EU stands in solidarity with Denmark and all other countries that have been affected by the violence. Furthermore it states that Muslims may be offended by the cartoons and that they have the right to protest peacefully. However the freedom of speech is absolute and may not be affected by any form of censorship.[32]
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch