Author Topic: review: 30 Years of Adventure  (Read 1354 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: 30 Years of Adventure
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:53:21 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=945

hrm. Curious. I'm not sure I'm still ready to spend money on it. But I suppose after all, though, I wouldn't expect them to talk about controversy at all. But it seems an error not to talk about what they were thinking with 3.5 or later products. It would have been cool to have some of the other companies submit stuff too. I mean, they could have edited it later, they probably could have gotten some cool info out of people who made later games.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: 30 Years of Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 12:16:12 PM »
The real strength of the book is definitely the testimonials, and I expect to loan it out to the next concerned parent who asks me if roleplaying will corrupt their child (which, though it happens rarely, I do get asked now and then).

I think the big problem with not talking about 3.5 and such is that the book was probably written before that point, and just spent so long in "editing" and production that it was obsolete by the time it was published.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 12:32:36 PM »
Hmm...I guess will have to look at this book before I decide to purchase. It sounds interesting, but poor production quality is a turn off.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »
Just looked at this on amazon.
The book looks like a coffee table book: meant to be pretty and not read. And it's pricey.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »
I think a correction on this article's title is in due order. It should have been called: "30 Years of Adventure Or Why WotC Sent Me This Book Instead of the Leatherbound Player's Handbook."  ;)
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 11:10:51 PM »
Mmm, dead animal skin, how I love thee.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch