Author Topic: Article: EUOLogy about RPG Campaigns as Books  (Read 10630 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Article: EUOLogy about RPG Campaigns as Books
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »
I was mostly kidding about Van Gogh being a hack, but he's certainly overrated. Nobody cared who he was until they realized that he was gonzo bonkers and cut off his own here and died young and insane; then he fit some sort of tragically romantic ideal and was suddenly very fashionable.

Which is not to say I that I don't think Starry Night is awesome. But that's probably because of the song.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 01:51:49 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »
To Sprig:

umm...no it's not.  If something is successful it sells well.  If's it's not successful then it's becsaue no one bought it.  There are different levels of success, not evey book is going to sell 1 million copys

Actually, I think success and sales are quite different things.  Fell wrote the best gothic vampire historical humor fiction novel I know--but even if it were to be published, it wouldn't sell like Jordan--or even, I suspect, like Farland.  It's too narrow a subject field.  Yet, I consider his accomplishment quite a success.

Success has to do with achieving certain goals.  Sales can be one of those goals, but it doesn't have to be.

To 42:
I think most of what you said was quite lucid.  Good arguments, and I think you cut to the core of some of the things I was saying.  Yes, you're right--it isn't the fact that RPG books come from gaming settings that dooms them.  It's the fact that most gamers aren't willing to sacrifice for story.  It's the fact that the best quality usually isn't dedicated to gaming fiction.  

It's that people who decided to translate their campaign into a story don't have the experience to do it.  It COULD be done successfully--but I think it would actually be harder than writing an original piece.  New authors mistakenly believe it is the easy route, and end up mired down in all the problems.  

To Skar:

Well said.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2005, 12:30:02 AM »
in the musee d'orsai

Gordon Dickson is turning over in his grave
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2005, 12:32:16 AM »
I remember that Musee.  Lovely hot chocolate with whipped cream and shaved chocolate on top.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2005, 08:04:50 AM »
Mmmm, they do that in Scotland, too. And add pink marshmallows. Yeah, it's a little rich, but yum!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2005, 09:23:53 AM »
pink marshmellows in Scotland? That doesn't sound very ... manly. Does explain a bit about Ent though.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
No, its just part of the grand scottish drive to die of massive overfatty and oversweet foods.

We have the most lethally unhealthy diet in europe apparently. And the highest rate of drug abuse and teenage pregnancies IIRC. Lovely country, come visit sometime! :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »
yeah, but you have to DYE them to get them that way. So you get pink on PURPOSE. that's what's unmanly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2005, 11:38:17 AM »
Actually, most marshmallows found in the wild are naturally pink. It's because they eat so many shrimp.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2005, 12:01:02 PM »
See, that's a common misperception. But I minored in Marshmellogy (the study of Marshmellows) with a focus in the wild Marshmellow of the North-east Atlantic Isles. The Marshmellow that roams the islands in Scotland, and in fact most of Europe, only eats BLUE Shrimp, since a strange evolutionary quirk left them color-blind to pink, and pink shrimp are completely invisible to them. Thus the Scottish marshmellow is naturally blue, though sometimes a touch green from the parsley which supplements their diet in lean times. Pink Marshmellows have to be imported from more southern lands, like Chile. Or else dyed by gay Scotsmen.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 01:55:39 PM »
I suppose the fact that blue shrimp are, of course, male only makes the imagery worse.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 02:21:49 PM »
only if they're all balled up.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2005, 09:11:13 AM »
To change the topic a tad bit, I found this interview/article with Tracy Hickman at Enworld.  Going to quote the instresting part, if you want to read the whole thing check it out here.  Though it's not so much of an interview as a guy paraphraseing what Hickman told him.

While he appreciates the positive reviews Mystic Warrior has received, Tracy agrees with the view that critics do not seem to appreciate fantasy as legitimate literature. Tracy has received letters from high school students assigned to write about their favorite author, asking him if he is a legitimate author; their teachers say he is not. Tracy said, the question is asked, "because I write science-fiction and fantasy, which is populist fiction, not true "literature". In comparison, he pointed out that Charles Dickens was a populist fiction writer in his own time and was paid by the word.

Tracy says he and Laura "are not concerned with being considered legitimate'authors' by someone else's arbitrary standard. Our sole concern is to write a story that people can enjoy and feel like they have gone somewhere, done something, and learned something through the experience"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:14:09 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2005, 11:34:50 AM »
Can I say how much I am disgusted with the public school system?  The picture of some public-school-teacher-drone declaring to his/her students that Tracy Hickman is not a "legitimate" author just infuriates me.  Especially when the statistics coming out of public schools today show that it's pretty likely that the only thing that TEACHER has ever done is make kids dumber than when they entered his class.

Not that I like Tracy Hickman's work all that much...I loved dragonlance when I was 14 but I'm pretty much over it.  He still accomplished a great deal then and since.  For him to be dismissed out of hand by a mindless...sigh.  

I must stop letting such things upset me so.

If anyone's interested there's a good book here:http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm that makes a pretty convincing argument about the sources and nature of the problems we have in the American Public School system.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 11:35:32 AM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »
the core problem, I think, (and I haven't had time to read that article) is that teachers are not paid enough. This means that fewer people want to get in which means that the systems have to be less selective about who they want in. You have to have those 100 3rd graders taught this year. You can't put it off. So SOMEONE has to be hired.

Plus teachers are given tons of extra panel and committee responsibilities. I'm not talking about how they have to get a certain number of education credits. I'm for that. But I hear my mom (public school teacher)go on and on about how she's had to do all this extra admin work and has to be on these committees that take her away not from planning and grading, but from actual TEACHING each week. How does that make sense? Plus they're putting kids with special needs (not wheelchairs, but things like mental retardism and autism) into standard classes -- with teachers not trained to deal with it. And before you go off on it, Fairfax County Public Schools is consistently rated among the 10 best in the nation (scored by standardized testing and students that go on to college).

How do I draw my conclusions? Well, despite all that irrelevant crap that teachers have to do here, the county pays 5-10 thousand more a year for teachers than most other places. It makes a difference.

Think about it, we pay starting teachers $35000/yr to teach for 6-8 hours a day. To do that, they have to spend many hours at home preparing. My mom gets to work at 8. She doesn't get to leave till after 4:30. She's there for 8.5 hours. Then she comes, and on the average spends 2-3 hours per DAY grading or preparing lessons. We're asking for more than 10 hour days for teachers and we're paying 'em phone center rates.

Well, how the heck else did we think our education system was going to turn out? The best of the best don't come to it because they can live much better working elsewhere.