Author Topic: Tandem Writing...  (Read 1381 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Tandem Writing...
« on: March 23, 2005, 11:47:27 AM »
Has anybody ever tried writing a story or book with another person?  What are the benefits?  What are the challenges?  Do the two or more authors just write different chapters or the book or would the change in voice be a pain for the reader?  

Anybody had any experience?
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Tandem Writing...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
It could be interesting for a story with two protagonists, especially if they are only partaly overlapping in their stories.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:20:12 PM »
My brother has written a couple of movie scripts (none made into a movie yet) with a partner.

They found that the best way to overcome logistical problems as well as "voice" problems was to divide the story into parts, assign each part to one of the two, and have them write those parts on  their own.  Then exchange the written material for editing and give the editor completely free reign.

It seems likely that, for a novel, it would be useful to have the same guy originally write all the parts from a certain character's POV.

And, of course, there has to be a high expectation of good will and competence on the part of your partner.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 02:12:41 PM »
Yeah, I've worked on a couple mutual projects, none have finished. You have to be sure the other person is as interested in getting it done as you are, but you both have to be really flexible in listening to the other ideas.

If I were to do another one, I think I'd do what Skar's brother does, change parts. Definitely do an outline together first.