Author Topic: Mainstream Fantasy  (Read 14692 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Mainstream Fantasy
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2005, 03:03:35 PM »
First of all, it may be noted, Saint E, that "Fey" and "Fay" have two different meanings (at least in modern American English usage).  Where "Fey" is an adjective that means "visionary", "crazy" or "doomed", "Fay" refers to the "fairy-folk", as it were.  The etymology of the two words is very different, so it's a distinction worth noting.

However, that wasn't the reason I decided to resurrect this thread yet again.  I have another question!

Do you feel that Fantasy needs to be Epic or have a strong epic feel?  Certainly, most traditional Fantasy seems to be epic, but is that a requirement for enjoyable Fantasy, or a historical Fad?

For example, neither Sir Orfeo (largely) nor Sir Gawain and the Green Knight are epic in nature (really), though both smack strongly of Fantasy (as Middle English works).  Is there something inferior about non-epic Fantasy?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:04:49 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2005, 03:06:34 PM »
mayhap there's a distinction. It's not one relevant to my point, however.

It must be epic to feel epic. That's kind of the definition of epic unless you're talking about classical verse.

It doesn't have to be epic to be good fantasy though. It only must be epic to be epic fantasy.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2005, 03:11:03 PM »
Not mayhaps:  www.m-w.com
See for yourself.  Though I agree it isn't relative to your point.  And, actually, a "The Fey" (very different from "The Fay") would be a very cool concept, when I think about it.

But you've sort of entered into a tautology:  "Epic Fantasy must be epic".  I would think that would go without saying.

I've just noticed that most of the [modern] Fantasy "classics" out there are Epic Fantasy.  I'm wondering if we could explore this trend.

EDIT (for Saint E):  I just noticed that it appears you've misread my initial post.  I said "or", not "to".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:13:46 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
It doesn't have to be epic to be good fantasy though. It only must be epic to be epic fantasy.

Did you not see that? Or are you just obsessed with finding problems with my statements? Of course it's a tautology. It is still part of my argument and a valid rhetorical device that does nothing to weaken my point. I'll try to use monosyllabic words then (and failing that, I'll use some with two syllables):

good books not all epic
only epic books need be epic to be good.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2005, 03:37:14 PM »
I guess what I lacked was the wisdom to see how your tautologies reinforced your point that Fantasy need not be epic to be good, or how they answered my question about whether there's some perk to Epic Fantasy not found in non-epic Fantasy.

Essentially, I was asking about the merits of epicism.  Not "whether good epic Fantasy is epic".

I'll go so far as to say that much Fantasy takes epicism (new word) well above and beyond the call of duty by making sure the novels are earth-shatteringly (sometimes literally) epic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:40:58 PM by JadeKnight »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2005, 03:55:50 PM »
you asked yes or no questions: "Do you feel that Fantasy needs to be Epic or have a strong epic feel?  Certainly, most traditional Fantasy seems to be epic, but is that a requirement for enjoyable Fantasy, or a historical Fad?"

My answer was no. It just seemed that there was confusion about what my answer was?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2005, 04:05:08 PM »
No confusion at all, on my part.

I'm still wondering about the trend towards Epic Fantasy, though.

The short of it:  "Why?"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
Ah, but that ISN'T what you asked previously. You simply asked if, not why. If that's what you want, don't try to take apart a simple answer that responded to your question, just ask the question you want.

I think the better question is why not? or rather, "Why do you think it must be epic?" There are several works that are successful and loved that aren't epic, more prominantly in the YA arena (oh yeah, I went there) Maybe they aren't as numerous, but they're still extant, which at least proves it's possible.

I'm not sure I can justify "why" beyond the basic answers: people are drawn to well-drawn characters, good or interesting use of the English language, intriguing plots. Epic tends to draw people to them because of their inherant drama, but that's not the only appeal. So I turn it around: why WOULD epic be the only reason to read fantasy?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2005, 04:22:13 PM »
is that a requirement for enjoyable Fantasy, or a historical Fad?

I asked two questions.  That was one of them, which I didn't feel you'd answered sufficiently (you intimated that it wasn't required for enjoyable Fantasy, but you didn't address the other half of the question).  I clarified what I had intended in three of the following posts I made, much to the effect of your post immediately preceding this.

My initial question wasn't clear.  I guess I need to work on articulating my thoughts a little more clearly, then, eh?

So, yes, again, why do we prefer epic Fantasy, as a rule (to read or to write)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:23:57 PM by JadeKnight »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »
If we grant that reading fantasy is, in a large part of its readership,  a mechanism for escape.  Then we see that an epic fantasy not only takes them to another world but also makes them important in a big, earthshattering kind of way. It takes them to another world but also to another sphere of power, where they mingle with kings, or wield god like power, or save the world.

I find that the cliche fantasy I think of when I try to define what I don't like is not just elves and dwarves but elves and dwarves and a world saving quest.  So there are three parts:  a world I've basically seen before, the same scope(world saving) as I've seen before, and the same pattern (quest).

Break any one of these three samenesses and I think you've got something fun and new rather than old and tired.  But it may not appeal to the escapist crowd as much as another rehash.

A fun one I read a few years ago was by a guy named Joel Rosenberg and was about (essentially) a detective in a fantasy world.  I mention it because I enjoyed it and reviews hailed it as something new.

I think you could write killer novels that appeal to lots of folks if you used the world you've talked about here and fiddled the other two bits I listed into something different than Tolkien did.

So I guess what I'm saying is, back to the start of the thread, that the world is not the only thing that determines if fantasy is cliche.  Its Epicness is just as big a factor.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:27:12 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2005, 04:33:49 PM »
I believe that last question is answered by my first answer. "No, it doesn't have to be epic." Instead of tearing apart my answer, wouldn't it have been better to say "why not?" right away?

Again, I think it's because of the drama. That's why we look at it so often. It's easier to package and promote drama and action than character and nuance. It's not that either is bad or good, but "interesting character" is harder to communicate on the back of a book cover than "the fate of the entire world" is. So, we're more convinced by the bit about the epic plot. I think, primarily, that it's a marketing thing. Although I do think there's a tendency to think "bigger, better, faster, more" in general. But this would be the gut reaction rather than a careful screening of the material. But again, I think that can pull that back to marketing. We want to present the material, and we have an easier time convincing others about "epic proportions" than we do about "nuance." It's easier to use to impress. And that's why we write in an epic mode.

If nothing else, an epic quality is easier to evoke than a well-written character. You know when you're doing it more instinctively.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2005, 04:40:40 PM »
So I guess what I'm saying is, back to the start of the thread, that the world is not the only thing that determines if fantasy is cliche.  Its Epicness is just as big a factor.

case in point:

The current JLA comic series premiered and sells on the basis that it now has all the powerhouses, all the archetypes on staff now. Supes, GL, Flash, Wonder Woman, all of 'em. Yet I grew tired very quickly of the JLA comic books. Every single storyline was the best and biggest and most powerful superheroes saving the entire universe... again. How dull. The best story at all, in fact, was one that focussed on Green Arrow trying out. He is the weakest of the major players in the DCU. He has no superpowers, but he's not as smart or as well trained as Batman. He can just shoot an arrow really well. So when he's the only one not caught, suddenly things are interesting again.

The second most interesting storyline was when Amazo came back, programmed to have the powers of all the members of the Justice League. THe JLA kept letting in new members to fight him, and he'd get their powers, and thus smack them down. Until Supes disbands the JLA, leaving Amazo powerless. The threat wasn't nearly as epic as their other stories, and the way to defeat the threat was essentially to stop all action. A very nice twist (if a rather unbelieveable basis for the conflict).

So yes, certainly being epic for the sake of being epic gets tiresome and cliché rather quickly.

chasingisis

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If I'm here, it means I'm not writing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2005, 07:24:36 PM »
Ok. I tried. I really did. I went and looked at other threads and repressed all my urges in responding to this old (already jumpstarted once) thread. I finally couldn't control myself any longer. I'm a newbie. You can slap me down, curse me, whatever appeases your irritation, but I have to put in my two cents worth, because it's killing me.

Nothing to do with Jade, but with something EUOL said....

Fantasy is old, man. More than a quarter of a century old. You can trace it back all the way to Lord Dunsany, a century ago, with THE KING OF ELFLAND'S DAUGHTER and his other novels. (Try Hope Mirrlees' LUD-IN-THE-MIST, same time period.) If you like, you could go back further and argue that ALICE IN WONDERLAND and THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS are early fantasy works. Heck, I've even seen scholars claim that WU-THERING HEIGHTS ( ;D ) is a fantasy novel. And if that doesn't count, certainly the intense fantasy worlds created by the Bronte siblings do.

Fairy tales are in the fantasy genre: tales told first by mouth centuries ago, before they were even written down or bastardized by Walt Disney. The Arthurian saga (completely muddled by the French) represent a perfect example of medieval fantasy, very popular and mainstream at the time. Although I don't honestly believe Homer, or the Celts and the Norse, the Chinese, the American Indians, etc. thought of their great mythological stories as fantasy, we as fantasy writers draw upon their work in creation of our own.

The reason Tolkien gets so much attention, and so many imitators is because he thrust open the floodgates in this country. Prior to the publication of THE HOBBIT and even afterwards, the only works accepted by publishers (who published anything other than mysteries, romances, or literary works) was science fiction. These were the glory days of Heinlein, Asimov, and others. Fantasy was the dark, second cousin that crouched uninvited in the doorway. People like Fritz Leiber had trouble getting their fantasy work published. Robert E. Howard's Conan thrived in the pulps, and he would be a good example of one person who was able to feed the need for fantasy.

Then came Tolkien. My father remembers when the bootleg additions were first released in this country; back when people were starved for Tolkien and had to have copies shipped from overseas. Suddenly, people wanted fantasy. Publishers wanted fantasy, too - not just any fantasy. They wanted more Tolkien. So other writers wrote in the same vein, and they were published, to feed the market. If you want to trace the "Tolkien-esque fantasies" back to their source, there it is.

But I don't personally believe the market is drowned in it today. I see the copies, and the wannabes, and I usually glide right on past their books. I love Tolkien, but not enough to read quest novels by other people writing Tolkien. And thankfully, I don't have to. That's why I'm curious. EUOL, you mentioned all the divisions in SF, and those are true - but you don't seem to mention all the little branches of fantasy you can find today.

There's the dark fantasy of Tanith Lee and Joyce Carol Oates; the return to the fairy tales (started by Terry Windling and Ellen Datlow - read FITCHER'S BRIDES as an excellent example of this dark, rich fantasy series). I love Tim Powers, of course, with his LAST CALL and DECLARE; there's Jonathan Carroll (LAND OF LAUGHS); William Browning Spencer (ZOD WALLOP); the works of China Mieville, which read like the opium-addicted offspring of Marvyn Peake and Edgar Allen Poe. How about the novels of Octavia Butler?

Dark fantasy, urban fantasy, contemporary fantasy, magic realism, historical fantasy, weird fantasy....the list goes on and on. I see the Tolkien-esque fantasy as only a minor drop in the bucket of a far richer world. There's room enough for all of us to write what we like - to read what we want - and never, ever lack.

This is a very old genre, and its roots go back in time towards the beginning. The stories we tell now have been told a thousand times before. But like any romance reader will tell you, it's not what's the same, it's how different it seems.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:26:36 AM by chasingisis »
"sacred environments...are not places to escape the world, but to enter it more deeply." - The Dalai Lama

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2005, 07:58:13 PM »
I'm a moronHERING HEIGHTS

Hey, I forgot about that filter.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »
I'm a moronHERING HEIGHTS is a fantasy novel.

I need to read that book I think, sounds amusing.

(here be overreacting profanity filters arr...)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch