Author Topic: Mainstream Fantasy  (Read 14680 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Mainstream Fantasy
« on: April 07, 2004, 08:19:53 AM »
So, I'm curious.  It seems like the big, 'mainstream' fantasy stories are generally the standard 'eternal apprentice' or 'quest' style stories.  (Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks.)

I've been of the opinion, however, that this will change as readership grows older.  They'll get tired of hearing the same story over and over again.  However, maybe I'm wrong.  Fantasy will always have a strong young adult market, and (no offense guys) that age group is notoriously affectionate of reading the stereotypical fantasy plot.  Part of this is just because they haven't had as much time to get bored of reading the same story over and over again with different names.  

So, what do you guys think?  Will the market really change as I think it will?  fantasy's really only about twenty-five years old.  It's experiencing quite a boom right now--will that fizzle once people realize that a lot of the plots are similar?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Mainstream Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 09:06:57 AM »
hrm...I dunno. I mean, as long as people can find new ways to present it seems like there will always be an audience. I can't tell you the number of people who read stuff because it sounds cool, even as older adults. As if coming up with a new combination of epic powers or new combination of the standard races is enough to carry a book.

What type of thing do you feel it will evolve into?

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 09:17:22 AM »
And then there's the theory that every story is part of one big ur-story anyway.

I think that in children's fantasy, at least, that's something that authors are struggling with and the better ones are overcoming. I would give you examples, but I have to run and get ready for work right now. (Besides, it doesn't really answer your question about mainstream fantasy, does it?)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 10:00:10 AM »
I think there will always be the stereotypical fantasy stories coming out - despite how many of them we already have.  But I, for one, am getting a little tired of reading the same story plot over and over again (thus I'm starting to expand my reading to different genres).  So maybe as this generation gets older, they'll encourage all those struggling authors to create new storylines, plots, worlds, and characters who do something different.  

I think you're right in that there will always be the young audience ready to read about the young-farm-boy-who-is-really-the-hero-and-must-save-the-day kind of stories, but with movies coming to accept fantasy, people will grow tired of those plots much faster and authors will have to try harder and harder to come up with something new.  

(Way to be ahead of the game, Brandon!)
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 11:29:35 AM »
I think 'Mainstream Fantasy' is an oxymoron.

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 12:20:53 PM »
I have to agree with EUOL. I'm having a hard time finding new authors that I want to read all of their stuff. Sadly, I think J. K. Rowling was the last one. Maybe that's just because I'm not being adventurous enough. I guess that means  that I think Brandon's on the right track.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 12:22:07 PM »
What track is that?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:15:51 PM »
The one where he writes lots of fantasty that is different from what's out there and makes insane amounts of money, and we all get to say we knew him before he was famous.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 04:47:02 AM »
And have cameos in one of his early books.

So maybe as this generation gets older, they'll encourage all those struggling authors to create new storylines, plots, worlds, and characters who do something different.  

That's really what I'm banking on.  I know I feel this way.  Every time I pick up a new book and read the same 'Teenage peasants' introduction, I think 'Oh, no.  Not again.'  And I put the book down.  This happened to me with LORD OF THE ISLES.

The last great farmboy book was probably WIZARD'S FIRST RULE, back in 95.  Maybe we are moving toward something new.  I hope we do--the problem with fantasy is that everyone wants to replicate Tolkien, when they should really be trying to replicate the PROCESS that Tolkien used.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 07:35:26 AM »
I want you to expand on that, if you don't mind. I mean, the process v. the material.

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 07:56:15 AM »
The other problem with fantasy these days is that once the writers hit upon something thats good, they just keep going and going.  Robert Jordan is a good example, Like Terry Pratchet and the 'Wizards First Rule' series, whose author I can't remember the name of and can't be bothered looking for.

And I don't entirely agree with what I think you are saying EUOL.  Cause though using a process instead of just plain replication allows more options, in the long run it still just gets repetitive.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 09:55:38 AM »
Yes, but that repetition isn't the same as everyone else's.  It's your own, unique style and story.  So even if you go through all the trouble that Tolkien did and still get in a rut, it'll be a rut that no one else had done, thereby people won't be bored with it nearly as fast as if you just write what everyone else is writing.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
Tolkein created a whole world, a whole mythology, history and languages. I think that's what EUOL is refering to. Rather than just lazily writing in a "fantasy setting", we ought to be sculpting and presenting a fleshed out world and culture.

But yeah, I'd like to hear more of your theories on this EUOL.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 02:43:31 PM »
Can I ask an unrelated question?  EUOL, why do you capitalize all book titles instead of italicize them?  Is that another one of those weird underline-instead-of-italicize things?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 04:26:05 PM »
Eh, no I don't forsee fantasy stories moving away from quests and antiheroes.  Do you really think horror, romance, or mainstream have fewer similarities in their genres?  More unique ideas, more creativity?  I just don't really see it.  Wanting to see something new or make a change of pace doesn't really have anything to do with some trend, people are just like that at times.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.