Author Topic: Anne Perry  (Read 1326 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Anne Perry
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:13:11 AM »
Anyone read her? I'm a hundredish pages into Tathea and I want to hear what people know about her and how they reacted to her. I don't want to reveal my impressions till I hear what others say, but I will say it's interesting.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Perry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:20:13 PM »
Oh, I read Tathea! It was actually one of my first fantasy novels--when I was a teen I read all the LDS fiction, and I was surprised to find a fantasy book in my local church bookstore (because secretly I thought I would like fantasy but at that point I wasn't ready to admit it to anyone yet). So I picked it up and I really enjoyed it at the time. I would probably have to read it again now that I have read more fantasy to be able to get a clearer impression of whether it was any good or not. I do remember liking her characters and thinking that the LDS tie ins in her plot were very interesting.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:28:53 PM »
My mom really likes Anne Perry. Not so much her fantasy novels as for her murder-mystery novels.

Peter Jackson made a movie about her childhood, unknowingly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 05:29:27 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:40:16 PM »
Wait, so as a child was she a hobbit or a nazgul?

I've only read one book by her (a mystery) and it irritated the heck out of me. The plot was more suspense than mystery and I couldn't understand why the two main characters fell in love. The story was from the point of view of one of the victims' sister rather than from the point of view of the detective, so I didn't actually get to see the crime being solved, which is the most interesting part of a mystery for me. Since reading that one, I haven't had the heart to try Tathea.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 10:55:26 PM »
If you know her personal history, you lean toward Nazgul rather than hobbit. But only for the very early years.

For those unfamiliar, she was convicted at age 16 (in New Zealand, I think) of murder (or whatever their equivelant is for accidental killing) when she and her friend took a prank too far. She was released 5 years later. At some point in her life she moved to the states and was baptized into the LDS church.

Tathea is very overt in the LDS doctrine spouting. Which I don't midn so much, even if it wasn't doctrine I believed in. However, there are numerous problems i'm having with this book. hearkening over to the "revealing things" subtopic of the current discussion in EUOL's forum, Tathea as a character is guilty of both extremes. She doesn't talk about things that she seems to have no motive for hiding, yet she takes everything as it is. in the first 50 pages she accepts invitations from 3 different people in towns she's never been to in her life, people that's she's only met seconds before, to sleep in their homes. Despite the fact that she's is a very important and hunted political refugee from the most power nation in the world. Make sense? No.

That would almost be bearable, in one of the cases it makes sense, in the other two, one wonders why the invitation was even offered when teh offerers don't even know that she needs the invitation (perhaps these people wander around, especially in times of social crisis, looking for people to invite into their home. One could posit some sort of competition for most complete strangers who've slept in your home).

As I said, it would ALMOST be bearable, if one saw mroe than the minisculest portion of any of her characters' personalities. Or if she bothered to describe the thing that was "amazingly beautiful" instead of saying that and leaving it. Or if Talthea bothered to care about the consequences of her actions after she left, claiming as she does that she's searching for truth and having taken a vow to help everyone who is in need of it.

Theres more telling rather than showing when any action comes up too. there's a great fight, and we get half a page, maybe, to a several hour battle. That's fine, normally. You don't have to show me all the action. But when you put in on stage, and you have minute details of conversation seconds before and after that action, you darn well better let me see the action. If you can't pull it off, have it off stage.

Anyway. Yeah, there's some great ideas, but I have no attachment to the characters and feel like I don't really know anything about the setting: for particular scenes or for the world in general.