Author Topic: review: Half-Blood Prince  (Read 2661 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Half-Blood Prince
« on: July 25, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1118

I'm in the middle of it, and I've accidentally read spoilers. I weep for my future.

ANywya, read it now!

Patrick Gibbs

Re: review: Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:32:02 PM »
I'd like to point that, when I wrote and sent in the review, a lot of people still hadn't read it yet. Sorry if there was a spolier - tired very hard to avoid doing that.

bosssmiley

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Concealed in custard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:13:46 PM »
I know it's unlikely, but would it be possible to get a TWG review of "1/2 Blood Prince" from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the Harry Potter series?

I'm rather interested in comparing how a new reader would rate it as a standalone book. Of course, a new HP book isn't intended to be read in that way (6th of a series and all...) but I'd like to know whether it would be a good starting point
The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:10:15 PM »
My immediate response would be that no, it would not be a good starting point at all. There are some important events that are definitely either ongoing (meaning that you wouldn't completely understand them without the previous books) or they are so greatly enhanced by the previous books that they would be worthless without the other books.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:27:54 PM »
Reading the first couple of chapters Half-Blood Prince without having read the other books in the series would be rather confusing and would ruin many of the surprises in the previous books.

Sorry, there aren't many shortcuts in the Harry Potter series.

The Harry Potter books are really just one continuous story, not-so-much episodes in a series. And in a likelyhood will be published as one large volume some day.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 09:29:29 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 12:45:22 AM »
That'd either be one hefty and unweildy book, or a book printed in a dictionary-sized font.  Either way, the notion frightens me.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 01:27:16 AM »
I loved the pairing up bit. It made me cry and gave me new respect for Rowling's writing skills. It was exactly the right thing to do to wrench my emotions at exactly the right moment.

Unless the reviewer isn't talking about that scene where in fact only one pair pairs off (and another is reaffirmed)...the other pairings aren't at all sudden and have in fact been building over the entire series. (Have you been paying attention?)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 08:51:09 AM »
I'd like to point that, when I wrote and sent in the review, a lot of people still hadn't read it yet. Sorry if there was a spolier - tired very hard to avoid doing that.

To be clear, I didn't mean this REVIEW gave me a spoiler, just that before reading it, I've learned the most spoiling thing there is to know.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 11:02:44 AM »
Someone told you about how Harry Potter dies in an electrical fire?  Or do you mean the part about Hermione's mysterious pregnancy?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
SE, so did I. I've not even got close to reading it, and I've been informed of the end spoiler... so I'm going to leave it to one side for a year, so that when I read it, I'm not constantly thinking of the spoiler.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 11:51:27 AM »
I was actually thinking about how Ron is secretly Voldemort and How harry has a multiple personality disorder and Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Snape are all really him.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 12:01:36 PM »
Ah.  As obvious as that was, I'd hardly consider it a spoiler.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 02:54:23 PM »
There was only one pairing that I thought was sudden, but I won't say which it was in order to avoid a spoiler (but I think it's fairly obvious which one I mean). But yes, absolutely, the onther ones have been building up for the whole series.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »
But then your review should have said "a male and female character" rather than "the male and female characters" :)

Anyway that was building for a long time, too, but there was no reason for Harry to know anything about it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 11:52:34 PM »

Anyway that was building for a long time, too, but there was no reason for Harry to know anything about it.

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan