Author Topic: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!  (Read 13928 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 01:28:18 AM »
I have no doubts that Harry is a horcrux. It makes perfect sense as to why Harry has so many of Voldemort's abilities. And it also explains why Harry has a window into Voldemort's mind. And it sets up a fantastic puzzle for the next book: how do you exorcise a bit of Voldemort's soul from Harry without killing Harry?

Some have suggested a Dementor's kiss. Risky.
A charm of some sort?
Love that widdle fwagment of Voldie's soul so much that it comes out on its own?

Only JK knows.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 02:46:34 AM »
I expect to completely forget about the matter within a few weeks and not think about it again until the last book is published.   ;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 04:56:07 AM »
The ending is probably going to be Ron is actually Harry's Dad.  Think about it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 05:15:46 AM »
Thinking of Harry Potter always makes me want to get Improved Familar feat so I can get a hippogriff.  But then I think about how many more alter self spells I'd need to get it around Underdark b/c of the large size.  And my sister always tells me how Hagrid has awesome spell resistance, and so do titans in D&D, so then I always think about that for my Half-giant too.  Well my PrC eventually gives SR, so I will eventually have that part covered.  Not that I was totally going for Hagrid, my guy is a lot more into carnage... but how many half-giant wizards do you run into, even if you're in the business?  So obviously I get a lot of ideas for my PC from him.

I haven't read any of the books yet, but my sister tells me about them all the time and some of the stuff drives me nuts.  Hagrid should have just busted skulls on those death eaters, the centar divination teacher should have warned Dumbledore/Harry/OotP/etc, Ron/etc should have stoped Draco before they got to Dumabledore (plus the toughest wizard in the world shouldn't be taken down by a dork like Snape, let alone be threatened by some pimple-faced teenage punk).  The good guys are way tougher, yet the bad dudes win, it makes no sense.

About Dumbledore knowing a lot, can't he see through all those trading cards of himself or something?  Seems like he could use a lot of divination magic with them, but it would mostly be current events stuff, not old stuff that happened forever ago like Voldemort's horcruxes.

The scar thing is obvious, they talk about that in even the first and second movie.  The scar always goes weird around Voldemort and Harry has some of his powers and such.  The horcrux just explains more about it.

I could always be wrong though, I've only saw the movies.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 07:41:03 AM »

Like you, Chimera, I was alerted by the chapter titles.

I cried. Did anyone else?

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 03:44:10 AM »
Surprisingly, I didn't. Shock and the forewarning of chapter titles, I suppose. I was really sad, but no tears. Maybe because I was trying really hard to suppress it, because I didn't want to spoil it for the rest of my family. Oh, wait, I remember now. I cried a little--I went into the bathroom and turned on the fan and cried very quietly so no one would know, for only like thirty seconds or so. And then I put on a brave face so as not to give anything away. (Funny, huh--sounds like a war or something really serious, not a reaction to a book.)  :)

My sister-in-law cried a lot, though. She's been sniffing and wiping at tears for like ten minutes now. So my brother (her husband), who has been trying to weedle out of me who dies in this book, now knows that Dumbledore dies. Because he doesn't think she would cry so much if it was someone else. Which just made her more angry and flustered because she doesn't like it that he is always trying to find out the endings to movies and books without actually seeing/reading them, so she got mad at him when he was comforting her/pestering her with questions and told him to get out and leave her alone.

Married people are weird.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 10:18:17 AM »
It takes more than that to make me cry now.
I'm more likely to cry because someone is saved rather than someone dies.

Married people are only weird because men don't listen.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm with Sigyn about Snape...but mostly because Karen said so.

It's all about DRACO. When Dumbledore said "Severus...please..." he wasn't pleading for his life. He was pleading for Snape to kill him so Draco would not be saddled with it.

Rowling means Snape to be much more of an ambiguous character than we might have thought in previous volumes, but she still spent a ton of time in this book giving evidences that he is still on the side of good and deep down a good person. Not a NICE person, but a good person. Eh, Karen should come post in here...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 08:49:42 PM »
It takes more than that to make me cry now.
I'm more likely to cry because someone is saved rather than someone dies.

Married people are only weird because men don't listen.

I only started crying when Fleur said she was still marrying the attacked Bill. It was just the right thing at the right moment to get that emotional wrench reaction.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »
Thank you, Ookla! Yes, definitely make Karen post. Anyway, I've been thinking some more about this and why I really want Snape to turn out to be on the side of the good guys. Snape was a character that showed kids that even though someone is mean and unlikeable doesn't mean he's evil. He can still be on the side of the good guys. Characters like this are incredibly rare in children's fiction, and I like what it tells kids about people. If he really is evil, then it teaches children nothing.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 10:56:36 PM »

I only started crying when Fleur said she was still marrying the attacked Bill. It was just the right thing at the right moment to get that emotional wrench reaction.

Exactly.  

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 11:40:09 PM »
This webcomic has spoilers!  Reader beware.

http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=582

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 11:09:15 PM »
Somebody needed to source check those spoilers.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 03:18:09 AM »
Seriously, though, that cracked me up.  We were doing that at work all day Wednesday because almost everyone in my department had either finished it or was reading it.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 09:57:41 AM »
Somebody needed to source check those spoilers.  ;)

Hoover over the text for the meta-text, Chimera.