Author Topic: What won't you eat?  (Read 16750 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: What won't you eat?
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »
I just do everything as its a hassle to take out. All it does is hold in heat better. Unless you need the height or space (ie with a turkey or something if you have a small oven)  If you need to take it out, remember to put it in the oven when the oven is cold the next time you use it otherwise it could explode. (rapid changes in temperature can do that to pottery.) Likewise dont take the hot stone out and plunge it in cold water.

To clean it all you need to do is take it out and scrub it clean with a green pad. Avoid soap and let it dry thourougly.

Also like I said this is great for baking.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:58:05 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »
Actually porupine meatballs are served at some fairly high class places.  I've served them as appetizers for business luncheons.  One of the differences is the type of rice you use.  A long grained rice gives you more of the look from the picture.  Smaller grained or sticky rices work nicely and make for a more uniform look.  Personally I find them both yummy.  Also, addressing the meat crust picture, that method is used in a lot of recipes.  Tatertot casserole has a meat crust, shepherd pie can...part of the problem in these pictures if the fact that whoever was taking them needed a new camera.  ;)

The paving stone works fairly well for breads and pizza crust, makes for a nice crisp to it.  I prefer shiny aluminium for cookies and pies in glass.  Some main dishes work well, but there can be problems with dripping, so make sure you line your oven so that clean up from spills is easy.  In a self cleaning oven remove the stone before setting the oven to clean or you'll ruin the season of the stone and potentially break it.  A nylon or silicon scraper is a very helpful cleaning tool for your stone, as well as for other things, as it won't scratch, but you can put some muscle into it if there's baked on cheese to deal with.

Foods I won't eat:  No Subway for me.  Not to say no sub sandwiches, but specifically Subway is a killer.  Foor poisoning once and now I just can't bring myself to go back.

~J
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:09:43 PM by JenaRey »
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »
I prefer...pies in glass.  

I agree. The crust just cooks better. More uniformly.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
Actually porupine meatballs are served at some fairly high class places.

Huh. Interesting. There goes my hypothesis! I guess it shows I don't get to hang out at high class restaurants very often.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »
The devil is usually in the detail.  Change the name and the story is still the same.  :)  

Coincidentally...the meatballs are really really yummy and can be cooked in a pressure cooker if you're wanting them fast.  Meatballs, rice pilaf, mixed veggies...  Now I'm hungy, and this thread was supposed to be about what we don't like.

Hrm...haggis.  Definately wasn't fond of that.  Not so much the taste as the texture.  It's gritty.

~J

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
OK, so now I really want to try making some porcupine meatballs. Hey, SE or Jena, think you could send the recipe my way??
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
I can put it up here once I get home from work, though all the talking about them makes me consider a stop at the grocery store for ground beef - they make well with ground turkey too if you're looking for lighter options - and having them for dinner.  :)

~J

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
lol. Yeah, try having a book design class where you talk about food and food-related stuff for over three hours! It's not helping so much with my diet... *sigh*

Hey, by the way, are you writing any stories or novel chapters right now? If you are and you'd like to join a writing group, SE, Izzy, Rosencrantz, Robert_Boyd, and I are forming a second writing group. You'd be totally welcome to join if you wanted to. :)
--Spriggan

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2006, 09:43:44 PM »
Porcupine Meat Balls

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c uncooked rice - NOT INSTANT
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbs minced onion
1 can tomato soup
1/2 c water

Combine meat, rice, salt, pepper, and onion; shape into small balls.  Heat soup and water in heavy pan or pressure cooker.  Add meat balls.  Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or pressure with 15 pounds pressure for 10 minutes.

There you go.

And writing group could be very good. : )

~J

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »
Jena, thanks for the recipe! I've copied and pasted it already. Funny how I'm getting a recipe I -want- to make out of this "food-hating" thread (like you mentioned earlier).

Anyhow, I'm really glad you think you might want to join forces with us. Take a look at the Writing Group 2 thread and ask any questions you might have, k? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:47:11 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2006, 02:59:04 AM »
My pleasure.  :)  Now for the more healthy version follow the recipe as I posted it but with substitutes.

Ground beef=Ground turkey
Rice=Brown rice, this may require increasing your water slightly
Tomato soup=Low sodium tomato soup

Serve with a big green salad on the side for heap good eating.

;)  Yeah, yeah...I'll think of something to hate and post about.   May have to start a new thread about good foods.

You know you wanna...

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
There actually already is a thread for that.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
Shhhhh...don't tell me that!  I was feeling all orginal...despite the fact I have already posted to that other thread and just forgot it was there.  Color me sheepish.

~J

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
Or, hows about we "flavor" you sheepish. hehe. (Sorry, resistance was futile).

Anyway, Jena, don't worry too much about it.
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2006, 07:03:38 PM »
Yeah, it takes a little while to learn the ropes around here (speaking from experience).