Author Topic: Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo  (Read 3632 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo
« on: November 11, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
Chimera, how was Levin Thumps? I keep getting tempted to pick it up, since I want to help LDS writers who are writing stuff I'll actually LIKE.

Leven Thumps was okay. The story wasn't bad, had some original elements to it, and was entertaining enough to keep me reading.

However, I wouldn't call it good either. I would not recommend it to people if I wanted to give them an idea of excellent YA fantasy. It was a little too cliche--I got all sorts of Harry Potter wannabe vibes. Not that no one will ever be able to use the archetypal elements that are in Harry Potter, such as an unwanted orphan who turns out to be the only one who can save the world, but because of Harry Potter it has to be done in a NEW and UNIQUE way. And Leven Thumps didn't quite make it to this distinction.

Also, the writing style drove me crazy at times. I had two major complaints. The first was that the narrator would give us some plot element in narrative and then, like two chapters later, give us the same plot element in almost the same exact words. Which made me, as the reader, want to ask: Do you think I'm stupid? Do you think I can't remember something you told me a chapter ago? I'm not sure if this was just a poor writing choice, or if the author was under the mistaken impression that because he was writing for kids he had to repeat things or else they would forget and not "get it." The latter is a stupid attitude. Kids are perceptive and smart readers. And no reader, of any age, likes to be treated like an imbecile.

The second thing was a more minor editing choice that just drove me up the wall. I literally wanted to throw the book across the room at some points, but once I start a book I get a little OCD and as long as it has some merit I feel compelled to finish it (if nothing else, I learn what not to do). This irritating choice was that whenever the villian spoke--and I mean every stinking time there was dialogue--his personal pronouns were italicized. I.e. "I was wrong. I see now that the path I was on is futile" or "Show it to me." Perhaps the author was trying to emphasize what an egomaniac the villian is. Nevertheless, italics should be used sparingly. Someone should have told the author, whoever Obert Skye really is, that this editing choice had the potential to irritate his readers and lead them to desire to harm inanimate objects.

But it wasn't a terrible book. It just wasn't a good book. And with some different editing choices, it could have been better. The action scenes, like when Leven and Winter are fighting a mud monster, are quite good. And a lot of the magic events are fun--almost enough to get over the tired cliches. But the narrator just did not work for me, and the villian needs to stop italicizing his personal pronouns. But perhaps that was his evil plot--to drive readers insane.

Oh, and I just remembered that there were some plot holes that made me shake my head. I don't want to put any spoilers here, so I will refrain. But even magic has to have logic within the magic system created, and sometimes this did not occur.

I really wanted to like this book, partly because it is a smaller press's attempt to get into the big time. Unfortunately, Leven Thumps feels like a rough draft with potential that wasn't fixed enough to go to print. It does not equal the best YA fantasy being published currently.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 02:25:26 PM »
well, I don't need a book to be the best. But I'd rather have it *good*. ANyway, sounds like I definitely won't buy it in hardcover then.

With all that, chimera, you should expand just a little and make it a full review we can run on page 1.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 03:05:59 PM »
Yeah. I found I had a lot to say once I got going. I'll have to do that--and then I can go into more "spoiler" detail.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 05:11:39 PM »
While we're on the subject of LDS fantasy, has anyone read Farland's new book: "Of Mice and Magic"? Skar and I are both in the acknowledgements, from helping brainstorm a lot of the ideas, and I'd like to see how the story turned out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 06:26:53 PM »
Really?  I'm in the acknowledgements?  I don't remember ever helping him with that kind of thing unless he just listed all the people in his class at BYU.

?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 05:01:39 PM »
Is it out?  Amazon says October, but then it also says "not available" and I can't find any reviews online for it.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Baba_Yaga

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:51:27 AM »
I appreciate this review.  I thought about buying the book, but I couldn't bring myself to do it because it felt too much like publishers trying to cash in on the HP craze.  I haven't been able to find others who had read it yet.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 02:45:48 AM »
Yay! Someone liked my review and found it useful. That makes me happy.  ;D

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »
Of Mice and Magic is out, but only in Seagull Book and Tape. I have not read yet had the chance to read it. I know that Skar and I are in the acknowledgements, and I think Skar's wife is in there too, but other than that I don't remember any names from TWG or the BYU class--just people I from our Farland Productions meetings.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 02:35:53 AM »
MsFish and I saw Of Mice and Magic in Waldenbooks in the Provo Towne Center Mall, along with like a million copies of Elantris, probably in anticipation of EUOL's book signing there. They had a sign up announcing the book signing for the day after Thanksgiving. Hopefully EUOL will be mobbed by bargain shoppers--in the sense that they will buy his book, not actually maul him.  ;)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 07:50:26 AM »
If they actually maul him someone needs to be there to get it on video.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »
Rumor has it around the LDS writing world that Obert Skye is actually Robert Farrell Smith.  I don't know if it's true or not, but that's the rumor.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »
If they actually maul him someone needs to be there to get it on video.

I designate that to you, Sprig.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 02:34:13 PM »
Rumor has it around the LDS writing world that Obert Skye is actually Robert Farrell Smith.  I don't know if it's true or not, but that's the rumor.

Hmm, I didn't recognize the name but when I googled it I saw he is the author of the Trust Williams books and Baptists at Our Barbeque. I haven't read them but have actually heard of them--and have heard that he's a pretty humorous writer. If so, it's too bad that his humor didn't have a more smooth transition into the YA fantasy genre.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »
Baptists at Our Barbecue is a fun book. I used to own it, till someone borrowed it and never returned it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing