Author Topic: "Knife of Dreams" idiosyncrasies  (Read 2602 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"Knife of Dreams" idiosyncrasies
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:19:14 AM »
And the award for most frequently used description of random characters goes to:

"...whose nose had been broken more than twice..."
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: "Knife of Dreams" idiosyncrasies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 03:07:44 AM »
Oh, is the new Robert Jordan out? You can tell how I pay attention. I might read it someday--I am interested in knowing how it ends (if it ever does). But I stopped buying them at about book 9.

Does anything happen in this book? Or is it just more of the same random new characters becoming main characters?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:55:34 AM »
Actually quite a lot happens. Book 10 was very frustrating because it was slow and nothing happened. However, in this one, Perrin's, Mat's, and Elayne's storylines have some resolution, and there aren't any new major characters. There are a few minor sidetracks, but in all it was a satisfying book.
There's also a lot of references to the fact that the last battle is coming soon (it's said in almost every chapter). Hopefully, that's a sign...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 10:56:27 AM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 12:39:04 PM »
When a lot happening means in book 11 Elayne repeats what Rand did in book 5... no, actually even less.  This is when you can say for certain the story is being stretched, just a tad.  Oh yeah, they also defeat the Shaido... wait, didn't they do that in book 5 also?  It just seems even more dumb the longer I think about it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 08:33:34 PM »
Eagle, you aren't getting bitter, are you?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:11:26 PM »
He's only bitter because he didn't stop reading after book 1 like I did.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »
I read all the way through book 4.  I don't feel I gained much from it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 02:53:41 AM »
I can't make it through book one. I keep wanting to read YA fantasy instead--like Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo, my most recent acquisition.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 01:17:17 PM »
Chimera, I had to force myself through book one. I decided it was research purposes, and that was the only reason I completed it on my third try.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »
I bought #1 when it first was out in paperback many years ago, and it took me three tries to get through the boring first couple of chapters.
I couldn't quit reading the series, though, desite several frustrating books. I have to finish stories, no matter how stupid because I want to know how they end.
In this book (#10), however, the Mat storyline I liked, and I want to see its completion. Not everyone will, of course, but it finally goes somewhere and it's interesting, mostly Tuon's point-of-view, IMHO.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 01:33:08 AM »
I found, at several times throughout the later half or the series, forcing myself to not skip to the end because of how boring it was. I also have the 'problem' of being slightly OCD in my compulsion to finish all the books I start; unless they offend me will how badly they are written i.e. "She walks to the table. She picks up the pitcher. She pours herself a drink"...etc. I do find myself wanting to read KOD because I want to know what happens, and how much closer to the end it gets. I will give Jordan this though, he has a wonderfully fleshed out world.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 03:40:14 AM »
I stopped at book 4.  I should have stopped at book 1.  

Jordan really put me off of trying any of the more modern fantasy authors for some time.  Then I found George R.R. Martin and all faith in fantasy was restored.