Author Topic: What classics should I be reading?  (Read 6592 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: What classics should I be reading?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 08:18:23 PM »
There was a movie?

Of course there was.  They were pretty much obligated to put one out in 1984.  It really sucked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

Fish, thanks for the recommendations; I hadn't heard of either of those, actually.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 08:18:44 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
Not all CJ Cherryh books are the same. She writes in a few different styles.

If you want a fast starter, read The Pride of Chanur. Short book. Then there's a trilogy after that and a final 5th book that happens a few years later. They're my favorite series among things she's written.

Of course THE "classic" Cherryh book is Hugo-winner Downbelow Station, which is definitely a slow-starter. It's even got an infodump at the beginning, something I believe her editor wanted. None of her other books do the infodump thing, just going in media res. Her fantasy Fortress in the Eye of Time is also a very slow starter; the first 100 pages won't give you any sort of idea what the rest of the series is like. ;)

But anyway, the definition of "classic" in this thread is rather unclear.

Right now I'm reading Asimov's The Gods Themselves. I haven't read it before, and I was almost to the end of the 2nd part before I realized one of the songs on one of my filk CDs is based on it. I was like, "whoa." It's the novel he wrote in his huge novel-writing gap years. Quite good so far.

We started reading Heinlein's big story collection The Past Through Tomorrow, which has his whole future history timeline, including fantastic stories like The Man Who Sold the Moon. Definitely a book to read, good old hard sci-fi from the 30s/40s and a bit later. In bite-sized pieces! (Though some of the stories are pretty long.)

I just finished listening to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on CD in the car. Just came out last year, but it's an instant classic. It reads like it was written in the middle of the 19th century, and it's set from about 1807-1816. Neil Gaiman called it the best speculative fiction book of the last 70 years, and it's certainly a contender for that title.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 04:57:06 PM »

Of course THE "classic" Cherryh book is Hugo-winner Downbelow Station, which is definitely a slow-starter. It's even got an infodump at the beginning, something I believe her editor wanted.

That's the one I just finished, for the please-don't-make-fun-of-me reason that I was dying to know what all the filk songs were about.   I picked up a couple of her Union-Alliance books, (I have a copy of 40,000 in Gehenna, SOMEWHERE that I never read) and some of the mystical russian one, whatever that is.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 06:19:54 PM »
But anyway, the definition of "classic" in this thread is rather unclear.

Oh gosh don't even get me started on that. The argument of what should be considered a "classic" creates conflicting emotions as it revives memories of my theory class. I definitely had a love/hate relationship with it--I loved the deep philosophical discussions but hated when I felt like everything got so deep and profound my head was ready to explode. All the essays were written in a manner to make it nearly impossible to understand what the author was saying. Except for the Feminists. Which may be why I am partial to some aspects of Feminism--their authors tried to make their essays comprehensible.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »
Right now I'm reading Asimov's The Gods Themselves. I haven't read it before, and I was almost to the end of the 2nd part before I realized one of the songs on one of my filk CDs is based on it. I was like, "whoa."

Anything I know?  (The song, I mean.)

I quite liked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though it took me a very, very long time to get through it.  Loved the footnotes.  (I'd be curious to know how the audio version handled those.)
~금강산도 식후경~

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 08:09:24 PM »
Getting off the subject of classics totally, I don't suppose any of our YA people can tell me anything about K.A. Applegate's new series.  The Animorphs never appealed to me, but I found the first book in the Remnants series at the thrift store today and picked it up.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:11:27 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 08:12:55 PM »
Haven't read them. I believe they are mass market, like RL Stine's Goosebumps. Now I am showing my literary snob side (which supposedly I should have been purged of in my theory class) when I admit that now I avoid most mass market fiction.

But speaking of YA reminds me of my favorite YA soft science fiction book--House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer. I've recommended it several times and will recommend it again. It deals with cloning in a very interesting manner. READ IT!!!
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 08:23:48 PM »
Getting off the subject of classics totally, I don't suppose any of our YA people can tell me anything about K.A. Applegate's new series.  The Animorphs never appealed to me, but I found the first book in the Remnants series at the thrift store today and picked it up.  

I've read Remnants. It's basically the best YA series I've read, I'd definately read it. Even if you don't like the first one that much keep reading, the second's one of the best of the series. While the series has quite a few flaws, such as earth getting wiped out by a giant meteor we can't divert and that we only found out about a month in advance (which is scientifically unsound in so many ways) But the good without question outweighs the bad.

The Animorphs never appealed to me

how so?, I can understand why it wouldn't, I'm just curious what about it
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:37:04 PM by Lightning_Eater »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 08:38:15 PM »
I'd reccomend The Transall Saga by: Gary Paulsen if you are looking for good YA books. I read it in fourth grade and thought it was really cool, though I can't really point out why. It is basically a sort of SF Hatchet, with the exception of the fact that the main character (Mark) meets people and is inducted into thier society. And has to kill their leader because he is blasphemous (not reallly but I don't feel like taking the time to explain).
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 08:42:51 PM »
hey you! read Remnants too!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:45:08 PM by Lightning_Eater »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 08:45:41 PM »

how so?, I can understand why it wouldn't, I'm just curious what about it

Two main reasons 1) the same as Chimera above.  Less that I feel I'm a snob and more that mainstream stuff tends to water down the good fantasy/sci-fi parts.  Mainstream tends to be totally urban fantasy - this world, normal people. I like to go one step further than that.  In this case, the premise didn't interest me.

2) It seemed aimed at a younger age than I'm willing to read.

I'm about halfway done with The Mayflower Project now and it's pretty good so far. I'd put it up there with Monica Hughes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:48:02 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 08:45:47 PM »
Me?

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 08:56:11 PM »

Two main reasons 1) the same as Chimera above.  Less that I feel I'm a snob and more that mainstream stuff tends to water down the good fantasy/sci-fi parts.  In this case, the premise didn't interest me.

2) It seemed aimed at a younger age than I'm willing to read.

That's the thing with Animorphs, if you can make it through the first few it gets a LOT less childish, not glossing over the fact they're killing innocents, with moral dillemas and that sort of stuff. By the end, although you probably wont believe me, it get's to the point where Elantris is literally more childish then it.

I'm about halfway

Through Remnants, right?

Me?

Yeah you, OneEyedGreenPerson!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:35:09 PM by Lightning_Eater »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 09:10:19 PM »
I've already read some of a couple of them, I suppose I should go finish them.:-/

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 09:15:05 PM »
I've already read some of a couple of them, I suppose I should go finish them.:-/

cool, which ones?