Author Topic: Top 3 Books  (Read 4367 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Top 3 Books
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
1. Lord of the Rings. I have been meaning to reread them for so long, but I have a large backlog of books, many of which are required for school, so a series as big as this one is rather hard to get to.
2. Atlas Shrugged. I love this book, but like LOTR, it is very large, and hard to get around to. However, it has so many characters that could be my favorites, that it is hard to not reread.
3. The Amber Spyglass. Once again, several of my favorite characters come from this book. In general, this series is one of my favorites because it has an involving storyline, strong characters, many underlying themes, a full world, and a massive conflict throughout it all.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
Lately I've been wanting to reread Michael Crichton's Sphere.  I shouldn't--I have books I need to read first, including two that I've borrowed--but I might break down and do it anyways.  

Other books to reread:

The Bunnicula Series (There's a new one out I haven't read!)

The Outsiders (Owned the tapes once and listened to it upwards of 30 times when I was in highschool, but haven't read it in eight years or so.)
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »

2. Atlas Shrugged. I love this book, but like LOTR, it is very large, and hard to get around to. However, it has so many characters that could be my favorites, that it is hard to not reread.

I have yet to achieve the enlightenment that allows me to understand how people can like this book, let alone the author.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »
Hey Fish--do you happen to have a copy of Howl's Moving Castle I could borrow?  (EUOL or CtrlZed?)  I need to do a book report for school, and I've never read that one.  (I know--I'm a terrible person.)  If not that one, do any of you have a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide (nope--haven't read that one, either.  I'm such a loser . . .)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:46:47 PM by Parker »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »
Yup, I've got one, and you can totally borrow it.  You remember to get us Love Potion #9 for Tuesday, and I'll remember to bring you the book.  Deal?

Edit:  I have a copy of Howl's, not Hitchhiker's, which I have also never read.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:52:14 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
Thanks--I'll get Love Potion when I go to work today.  Bis Morgen.

Dido

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 04:34:47 AM »
Sadly, I don't reread books. I don't know why, but it's probably good for the local used book store. Maybe it's because I have too many books sitting around that I haven't read...

(Also, hello, I am new and happy to be here).

el_caballero

• Level 1
  • The Gentleman's Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 11:35:39 PM »
I also have a very small list of books that I will actually reread from time to time. Ender's Game, LOTR, and a few others.

I've got The First Circle by Solzhenitsyn checked out right now. I love stories about prison, or military cadets.
How many posts do you have to have before you get a sig?

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 01:32:50 AM »
Today I was the lucky recipient of a gift card to Barnes and Noble...sooo...looking through this thread I'm seeing some interesting ideas.  My question is given 25 bucks what books would go on the must own list versus the, borrow from the public library list?  I have a fairly full library of my own, but there's always more books to buy.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:08:37 AM by JenaRey »
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:21 AM »
Dune, by Frank Herbert. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. The Prydain Chronicles, by Lloyd Alexander.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:37 AM »
Shade's Children, Garth Nix. The Dark Elf Trilogy, R.A. Salvatore. Sphere, Michael Chriton.

Eh, I wouldn't exactly say those are some of the best out there, but they were good enough to get me to want a copy. Though I do remember being bored out of my mind during the last fify or so pages of the third book in The Dark Elf Trilogy.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 09:08:56 AM »
Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
Richard Adams, Watership Down
and uh... yeah. that's it. You should own many books, but those are the only two I would be specifically sad about if I didn't have a copy in my home

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
and uh... yeah. that's it. You should own many books, but those are the only two I would be specifically sad about if I didn't have a copy in my home

No Don Quijote on that list?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
That's a special case
I have two beloved editions of DQ. I would be sad to lose them. However, since this is about buying books...

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify a gross oversight on my part.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »
I was disappointed with the entire third book of the Dark Elf trilogy. The first two weren't amazing, but at least they broke the D&D mold.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net