Author Topic: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy  (Read 8248 times)

darkjetti81

Re: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
I was just giving my bold opinion on how I felt about Tolkien.  There is no doubt that he is a great writer.  He just isn't my style.  Of course.. He's dead now and has no chance to evolve into the vicious writing of today's authors.  So it's no fault of his that I'm not fond of his work.  

Oh yeah, and I agree with you both on Terry Brooks.  But I did like the Shannara series, only because I read it before I read LOTR.  :)  But after I read Tolkien it was obvious where he got his ideas.  Goodkind though, is very origional.  A little violent, but you're kissing the book by the end.

Not All fantasy authors copy from Tolkien though.  As a matter of fact, most authors are so scared that someone will think their work unorigional, that they get as far away from Tolkien as possible.  DUNE, again a fine example.  :)  

I stress though, that although Tolkien is not my taste, I enjoyed the book and the movies.  I just hate social conformity when something gets to be a major FAD, and ultimately destroys an artist that was appreciated by readers uninfluenced by the media and propaganda.

Peace

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2006, 08:14:34 PM »
EUOL doesn't seem to have any problem with being original, but then he's so wierd that he just has Ideas pop into his head about absolutly nothing. :P
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
For about 20 years after tolkien, all fantasy was his style. It was just the perception that tolkien-esque was the only fantasy.

I think goodkinds biggest problem is his obsession with his characters getting raped. I've got no problem with huge violence or sex scenes or whatever, just goodkind does it way too much. Every book follows the formula that Kaylen (richards wife) gets raped, or threatened with rape, unless Richard does something that goes against his morals.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

darkjetti81

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2006, 07:53:06 PM »
wow that is harsh.  But it is partially true.  

Goodkind is probably the most violent fantasy writer out there.  In the first book he discribes Richard getting tortured for several chapters.  But his genius is that you feel the pain along with the characters.  

He makes you hate the enemy so much you just wish they would die, and then he blesses you with sweet sweet revenge!  Something we rarely recieve in real life.  

lehea

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
I've read the trilogy countless times and some of his other works.  Hail Tolkien for creating Middle Earth!  8)
weee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »
oki. just as a warning, no one else is going to be as nice as I am right now. YOu've resurrected threethreads that were last posted half a year ago, and one that was over a year. In the FAQ this is specifically stated as a no-no, esp when all you have to say is "I read it too." Please don't do it again.