Author Topic: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy  (Read 8246 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »
Well, yeah you could, I suppose, but why would you, if it wasn't his intention to write one?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 12:46:50 PM »
As for my response to the real subject of this thread (which, contrary to poular belief, is not the name Heather):

I admit that Tolkien read simply as a series of novels is not a stellar example of fiction.  Tolkien was not a master novelist.  He was, in my opinion, a master craftsman of mythology.  That is why I read, and love, his works.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 12:49:32 PM »
Well, yeah you could, I suppose, but why would you, if it wasn't his intention to write one?

Similar conflicts and themes do not analogies make.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 01:00:46 PM »

Because author intention does not always dictate exactly what comes out in the end. Reader reaction, subconscious inclusions, etc, all factor in.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »
As for my response to the real subject of this thread (which, contrary to poular belief, is not the name Heather)

Of course it is. Every thread naturally degenerates into a discussion of the most important subject in the world--me!  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »
I never dated you.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 03:07:45 PM »
You still like to talk about me though.  ;) J/k

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:15 PM »
My boyfriend dated a Heather. This is getting creepy.

Everyone's dating the Chimera! She's leading a quadruple life!!

I think it's perfectly feasible he included surrent themes and wrote a sort-of allegory, unintentionally. It's hard not to write about the time in which you live. Even when you are writing about historic Middle-Earth.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2005, 02:40:34 AM »
Blast! You've discovered my super power--the ability to date everybody!   ;)

But none of you know my super weakness, so I'm still safe.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2005, 02:56:57 AM »
*Archon revs up the Batmobile ominously*
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 01:02:14 AM »
I actually wanted to throw that National Geographic "Making of" out the window. It felt more like an ad for Greenpeace than an actual serious look at Tolkien's motives. There was a lot of speculation on what Tolkien meant, and if he were truly anti-technology, but there was no concrete proof to back up that he ever had such a bias.
Of course, the whole process of finding allegory and parallels between his works and any past or current situation seems unwise considering Tolkien's outright dislike of allegory in any form. Accusing a man of deliberately placing allegory in a novel he wrote when he outright denies it, and then proceeds on the assumption that he was just lying--that's the sort of premise that this National Geographic special seemed to be operating on.

z

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 01:56:57 PM »
at least the books and movie were more entertaining than alot of shirt we have seen come out this year, they were just running out of ideas.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 07:03:31 PM »
Yes the movies were good, but that's because they can show, instead of describe, all the extra stuff Tolkien wanted.  Though I think the movie's success has as much to do with the director/production crew as the material.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 10:46:28 AM »
Of course, the whole process of finding allegory and parallels between his works and any past or current situation seems unwise considering Tolkien's outright dislike of allegory in any form. Accusing a man of deliberately placing allegory in a novel he wrote when he outright denies it, and then proceeds on the assumption that he was just lying--that's the sort of premise that this National Geographic special seemed to be operating on.

Who's accusing him of "deliberately" doing anything? The rest of us here have been pointing out that even if he disliked allegory, there's a pretty strong social metaphor going on here. Perhaps if he hadn't made the Orcs so German and the Hobbits such gentlemen English farmers and teh Rehorrim so Saxon?

And come on people, the argument that "he didn't like allegory" isn't your best defense. The best argument against "War of the Rings as analogue for WWII" (at least in my opinion) is that elvish language is heavily built on Finnish language. The Finns fought against the Soviets in WWII. Which, y'know, helped the Germans. It would be like The elves attacking Helm's Deep.

HOwever, even though it's a flawed allegory, it's still there. Whether he meant it or not. I think it's silly for him to think he could even avoid it. Especially when he chose to draw so heavily from the Kalevala and other myth -- which is always heavy on allegory.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »
e's point is the big one in any discussion of literature: everything means something, whether you intend it to or not. Tolkien might not have put it there on purpose, but that's doesn't mean it isn't there.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net