Author Topic: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy  (Read 8249 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:25:01 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1071

Hey now, Jam's entitled to his opinion. He's very reasonable about it.

So, keep that in mind when you flame on.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »
That's how I felt about the Hobbit when I red it, though I thought there was slightly less "brillance".  And if you're wondering why I'm talking about the Hobbit in a LoTR thread it's becasue the Hobbit so bad (2 clocks) that I swore I'd never read another Tolkin book again, and I still haven't after 13 or so years.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
His comments on the originality were too true. Tolkiens world is a victim of it's own success.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »
I remember thinking the same thing about the "boring" bits.  In my own writing I was, for a time, frustrated by the need to include even the boring bits in order to maintain continuity...Until I realized that there was no such need.  It was what Tolkien did but it wasn't necessary in every work.

I do, however, think 4 clocks was excessively low 60%, a D+?  For the father of the genre?

Oh well, I suppose we can't all be Terry Brooks and manage to be boring and repetitive while still skipping the boring bits.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:36:46 AM »
I think it's acceptable that JP gave it a 4 out of 6 it is just an opinion after all, it doesn't have to agree with your's.  But one thing I'd like to rant, I'm so freaking sick of people thinking that since someone was the "first" that means the person is the best or should be treated that way.  Its not a very strong point to base an argument off of.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:58:54 AM »
time to re-read the scale description.
"4 clocks: Good. The game/movie has numerous problems, but is fun/enjoyable enough to suffer through the bad parts."

Which is exactly what Jam said about it. in terms of percentages doesn't work that way. It's not a "grade" and there isn't a pass/fail option.

In fact, read what the rating system says, and you'll see that 5 clocks means only one minor problem with it.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:27:41 PM »
Right.  He in fact only mentioned one minor problem with it and that was the "boring bits."  The whole thing with its feeling cliche is the fault of all the imitators, not the work itself.

I have no strong feelings on the score.  I just think that with only the one minor problem it deserved a 5, like the rating system says.  No biggie.  I'm only voicing my opinion.

As for Spriggan, "father of the genre" means far more than chronogical order.  If Tolkien's work hadn't been good it would never have been published and would never have become the icon that it has.  The fact that he was good enough to break new ground, endure this long, and spawn myriad imitators is what makes him the "father of the genre" in my opinion, not that he was first.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 01:38:12 PM »
well, it seems more than a minor flaw. If I were reviewing it and felt this way,  i probably would have given it a 4.5

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 03:40:21 PM »
I just find it interesting that someone who was so totally against technology just had his books turned into three incredibly special-effect heavy movies.  

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »
Who, Tolkien? I don't think he cares since he's been dead about 30 years.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:43:58 PM »
Or... has he?

/me looks mysterous, and slightly insane
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
well, he's certainly not cryogenically frozen ;)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
I just find it interesting that someone who was so totally against technology just had his books turned into three incredibly special-effect heavy movies.  

He was against technology, wasn't he? As far as I understand it--this is coming from watching the National Geographic "Making of the Movie" Special in my film and literature class. In the biography part, it talked about how Tolkien saw the Industrial Revolution as destroying the soul of the land. So the people who wrote the National Geographic script made the jump that Sauron and co were all representative of technology while the Shire was representative of the England of Tolkien's beloved youth. I don't know if I would make that literal of a connection, but it was an interesting observation.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 10:10:54 PM »
It is the commonly held connection. Sauruman was the power of progress and technology, overthrown by the tree spirits. The gondorians were attacked by Grond, a (for the period) high tech battering ram. And the scouring of the shire is painfully obvious in this regard - he practically describes 1940's yorkshire.

Fellfrosch

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 11:20:11 PM »
JP, I should just like to say, I agree with you pretty much to the letter. (Sorry, you can't have fun doing a scathing dissection of my flameage :P)
And I think 4 clocks was fine.