Author Topic: The Otori Trilogy ***Spoilers I think***  (Read 1226 times)

Outkast in Exile

The Otori Trilogy ***Spoilers I think***
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:15:23 AM »
Ok, I haven't seen any threads or discussions about this trilogy, however if there was feel free to point this fact out to me.

I've just finished reading Brilliance of the Moon, the third of the trilogy (the first two were the widely acclaimed Across the Nightingale Floor and Grass for His Pillow) and I must say that I very much enjoyed them.  The writing was engaging, the plots were logical, and the 'special attributes' of Takeo were dealt with in a convincing manner.  Obviously they were a big deal within the plot and trilogy as a whole, however they seemed realistic, no extensive or even minor fantastical explanation was given as to why some possessed these attributes; which I think would have seriously detracted from the trilogy as a whole.  One of its best features was the way it was... well, to re use a word, realistic.
So, thats my rant about it for the most part.  I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about it though.

darkjetti81

Re: The Otori Trilogy ***Spoilers I think***
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
Yes I read all three books!  I love fuedal Japan type stuff, and these novels took it one step further.  I liked the idea of the powers he attains, and the secret cult that kidnaps him.  Can't remember the name it's been a long time sinse I read it.

However, I wasn't very impressed with how she ended the Trilogy.  I hope she continues it later.

Peace

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Otori Trilogy ***Spoilers I think***
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »
I read the trilogy as well, and it was good, but I would have to agree with darkjetti81; I felt like it should have continued.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:59:18 PM by ShirHashirim86 »
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?