Author Topic: [Hugo nominated] Old Man's War  (Read 1269 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
[Hugo nominated] Old Man's War
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:47:05 AM »
I finished this book a bit over a week ago. It's an entertaining enough read, but not groundbreaking, and the characters are very flat--everyone is either sarcastic and jaded, impervious to humor, or stupid.

It's a military sci-fi somewhat in the tradition of Starship Troopers but without the politics and with bioengineering and mind transfer instead of power armor. The very end was emotionally engaging, which made me happy, and there are a few truly funny moments in various places (like with the drill sergeant finds reasons he hates every single cadet and sends them off running 20 kilometers...and the main character is the only one left standing...any more would give it away).

The first-person narrative is okay, but I never really got inside any character's head, not even the main character. Stuff just happened. I didn't get to care about anyone.

Comparing to other Hugo-winning books I've read in the past, this doesn't make the grade. The recent winner it's on a plot, characterization, and writing level closest to is the Neanderthal book Hominids, but that was groundbreaking in at least one way. This one is just a decent book.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:35:34 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!