Author Topic: [Hugo nominated] Spin  (Read 1388 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
[Hugo nominated] Spin
« on: April 13, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »
I just finished reading this book. This is a book I will fully support for the Hugo, assuming one of the other books is not more deserving. It's groundbreaking and well-written, with well-drawn characters you can really care about.

The basic plot is that the Earth gets surrounded by some sort of shell that blocks out all the stars (except the Sun, which it filters to normal levels), and time inside this shell passes much more slowly than in the outside universe, so that in a day inside, thousands of years pass on the outside. Or something like that; I don't remember the exact scale. The book revolves around the main character, Tyler (who later becomes a doctor), starting when he's 12 years old, and his twin friends Jason (a genius) and Diane (who gets involved in religion), who are a year older, and all of their parents (one of whom owns an aerospace company), as they cope with and deal with and try to figure out and fix this situation.

It did not give me the emotional hit that my most favorite books do, though there are some profound emotional statements in it, but it kept me involved mostly as a work of fine science fiction and how some real people deal with it. The first-person POV is the absolute best I've seen in years--of course, it's so hard to do that it's not done incredibly often, so my sample is not so huge, but this is a very fine example.

The end is very satisfying, and it's a self-contained book.

So anyway, having previously just finished Old Man's War, and comparing it to this, I'm definitely voting for Spin unless one of the other nominated books turns out to be better.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: [Hugo nominated] Spin
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 08:52:11 AM »
what's the explanation of how the shell got there?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »
That would completely spoil it. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
oh. fine. Be that way. I'll just have to read the book now.