Author Topic: Geek Girl: Romancing the Paranormal Stone  (Read 7501 times)

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Re: Geek Girl: Romancing the Paranormal Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
Part of what annoys me is that some of the Paranormal romance series deal with some interesting ideas or characters and then devolve.  I actually liked the first Anita Blake book, before it got graphic and the sex was all the books were about.  I also liked the ideas in the Weather Warden books by Rachel Cain, though the focus on the sexual aspect made me want to injure her.  There are authors that manage the balance well, but it requires a steady hand, and too many break down and go for the cheap thrill.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »
I'm a little confused here. What, exactly, are you defining as "paranormal romance"? Is it stuff specifically being marketed that way? Or is it anything with sci-fi/fantasy themes and romance/sex? Or is it just anything with sci-fi/fantasy themes that seems more interested in the romance than in the rest of the story/magic? I'm just having difficulty figuring out exactly how to define the term in my head.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 08:09:58 PM »
I meant the graphic stuff that's written like crap (the Luna book I read was "The Compass Rose" if you're wondering, Fuzzy).  I was saying don't read or write the kind of stuff that Fish delineates in her article.

I'd like to point out that Compass Rose was the book Amazon paired with Elantris for many months, further proof that my brother writes Romance and not Fantasy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 12:08:32 AM »
Even apart from the sub-standard writing, I have a love-hate relationship with romance novels, which is REALLY ironic, since the thing I hate most about standard romance novels is the fact that no one seems to be able to write a romance without a love-hate relationship.

I can't stand 99% historical romance, because it's all "high-spirited woman meets reformed rake and they fight for 300 pages".  ARGH.  I don't think a relationship should be based on fighting. Complain all you want about the Weather Warden series but at least I like reading about David and Joanne's relationship.  I get so mad at most of the protagonists in romance novels I just want to climb in and slap them.  So I can only read romance novels wherein the characters have problems with *outside* forces trying to keep them apart, instead of ones where they sabotage their own relationship because of stupid decisions and lies.

This is one of the reasons I like Catherine Asaro. I was very disappointed in her fantasy series though. Very bland, she should stick to sci-fi.  

And all the LDS people can flame me or call my bishop, or whatever, but I don't mind the smut. I'd rather read a book where the characters are having a good relationship and getting it on every other chapter than fighting and insulting each other and lying to each other and being stupid for the whole book.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:11:15 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 12:18:36 AM »
Paranormal Romance is the name of a genre.  I wasn't referring to books that are shelved in sci-fi and fantasy that happen to have romance plots or subplots, sex or no sex.  Paranormal romance is shelved with romance, but it's got paranormal elements to the story, like a cookie-cutter romance lifted into a fantasy setting, essentially, though I hear there are some in contemporary settings with paranormal elements as well.  

And I'm not convinced that it's all crap.  What I read sure was, though.  

further proof that my brother writes Romance and not Fantasy.

Oh please.  I've read his "sex scenes."  Give me a break.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:20:41 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
I would suggest "Uncertain Magic" by Laura Kinsale if you want to read what I consider to be a good Paranormal Romance.  (Involves telepathy, and fairies.) Also, very little fighting!

Oh please.  I've read his "sex scenes."  Give me a break

My brain just shut down to protect me, I think.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:33:11 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
Apparently Brandon has no prowess in the prose bedroom.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Hepcatkip

• Level 2
  • Blah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »
Mcfish you must never write one of these.   how will you roll your dice without fingers?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 09:16:11 PM »
Oh please.  I've read his "sex scenes."  Give me a break.

Harsh. When even a mans written sexual prowess is called into question, theres issues :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

jeffday

• Level 2
  • Yar, must be exploding tuesday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 11:32:11 PM »
Ironically, McFish might be able to successfully write romance novels because she could steer clear of what she hates about them. I mean, we all read books for the romantic subplots, right?
"Are you in danger of becoming a good man, Proximo?"
--Gladiator

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Talk for yourself mister :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
I mean, we all read books for the romantic subplots, right?

I most certainly do enjoy books with romantic subplots. I'm just a sap for a good love story (as my writing group is discovering).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 11:07:49 AM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 11:15:03 AM »
Ironically, McFish might be able to successfully write romance novels because she could steer clear of what she hates about them. I mean, we all read books for the romantic subplots, right?

That would work were it not for the spiky thing and the eleven story building.  

Hey Jeff, do you know who HepCat is?  

Y'all should really go to this thread

http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1051196804

and introduce yourselves.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

dankezman

• Level 3
  • Me ^^^^^^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 01:12:10 PM »
what we talking about
I went thro town and walked straight into the bar. It hurt.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
Shhh.... This discussion is for grown ups. Go back and sit at the kids' table.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus