Author Topic: Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov  (Read 1283 times)

darkjetti81

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:24:03 PM »
"Lolita"  

I have to read this for a Literature group I'm in.  It is very controversial, but obviously well written.  Despite it's seemingly sinful prose, it is very ingrosing and hard to put down.  

Anyone read it?  I heard they made a movie out of it, but I'll probably never rent it.  

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 12:40:44 AM »
I read it, and I remember being fairly bored by it.  Is it bad to say I've read things that should have been more controversial than that?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:57:28 AM »
Is it bad to say I've read things that should have been more controversial than that?

I don't think so. There's nothing salacious in it, after all. I'm hesitant to comment on it more, as I dislike people telling me ahead of time what happens (or doesn't).
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:51:25 AM »
We now interupt our normal broadcasting to bring you a totally unrelated coment from one Mr. FMP.

The author's name (if that really is his name) reminds me of Vlad the Impaler, you know; the Dracula dude?

We now return to our normal broadcast.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

medrx

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:55:43 AM »
This may be a dead thread by now or not exactly on the point.  I never did read the book, but I did see the movie a few years back (seven or so) and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.  Now this thread makes me want to try the book...
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.