Author Topic: DUNE (the new books)  (Read 1678 times)

darkjetti81

DUNE (the new books)
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:04:15 AM »
Hey I was just curious if anyone has read the recent "Dune" novels written by Frank Herbert's Son (and his friend Kevin J Anderson)?

I wanted to know if they were any good, because I loved the origionals.

I'm talking about Dune: House Atreides, The Butlerian Jihad, House Harkonen, etc...  

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: DUNE (the new books)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 05:06:21 AM »
I've read the "House" books. Actually, I think I still have them, if you're interested in borrowing.
That which follows is my opinion.
They weren't as good as the originals, and in some areas they contradict them. However, I still feel they're a fairly good read. My understanding is that the younger Herbert used his father's background materials to write the prequels, so the broad strokes (should) give an accurate idea of the houses even if the details don't. Also, If you haven't read all of Frank Herbert's, the prequels will give some things away.
If it means anything, I'm rereading Dune yet again, but have no desire to reread the prequels.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

darkjetti81

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »
Hey thanks for the input.  Yeah I've read all of the origionals, and I thought they were some of the best science-fiction ever written.   ;)

AngeluS

• Level 1
  • Only 10 people understand binary, you and me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 05:14:57 AM »
The prequels are a nice read but they are not as good as the originals.  In that way that the prequels are more "mass consumer" written stories than the originals.  The, how to say it..., acceptance level of these is lower.  It will appeal more people than the original series would.  I believe this is done because the writer is not as good or experienced as his father and also in the hopes of selling as much as possible.

The 'House' books and 'Butlerian Jihad' books are more commercially written than Dune, original series.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 05:41:41 AM »
So in other words, if a book appeals to a lot of people it must be bad and of low quality?

We haven't had this argument on the boards for a while.

I will just say that some people see the whole "commercial appeal is bad" argument as being rather snobbish. The argument may have some merit, but it doesn't necessarily hold a lot of validity.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

AngeluS

• Level 1
  • Only 10 people understand binary, you and me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 09:57:47 AM »
okay, maybe I have been a bit too harse.
Let's say that it is more difficult for him to write better about Dune than it was for his father.
Let's keep the reason why that is so in the dark. ;)

Anyhoo, if you liked the originals then these will appeal you too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 09:58:38 AM by AngeluS »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:18:06 PM »
So in other words, if a book appeals to a lot of people it must be bad and of low quality?

We haven't had this argument on the boards for a while.

I will just say that some people see the whole "commercial appeal is bad" argument as being rather snobbish. The argument may have some merit, but it doesn't necessarily hold a lot of validity.

Meh.  I don't think "appeals to a lot of people"="bad"  But if a book is written with appealing to a lot of people in mind, as in the primary concern, it tends to lower the quality simply because it's pandering to what the author sees as the lowest common denominator as opposed to what he thinks is really good storytelling.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch