Author Topic: What not to read  (Read 11515 times)

darkjetti81

Re: What not to read
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2006, 03:48:09 AM »
You know I did enjoy the book's story and provacative plot-line..  But I must agree that Brown is lacking.  He just isn't *that* great of a writer.  

Have you read "Digital Fortress" (by Dan Brown)?   Terrible, Sloppy, and bad ending.   :P
In other words - Don't read it!  

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 11:30:59 PM »
Ugh, yes. The ending was horribly drawn out. I figured out the solution ten pages before the main characters did, and was more than once tempted to skip ahead.
That and the ending was pretty dumb. I don't remember much about the rest of it, which is probably a good thing.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
Re: What not to readA
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »
ANY book by Dan Brown-  He dosn't reserch, he writes poorly, and he manages to be massivly ignorant about any subject he mentions.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 01:59:29 AM »
I can't wait for his autobiography.  ;D
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

darkjetti81

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »
Like I said, he isn't the *best* writer..  But you have to admit that the boldness of the Davinci Code was rather genius, because look how many copies it's sold!
Hell, everytime someone raises another fuss, sues him, or starts a protest the damn thing sells another million copies!  
I suspect that he knew that would happen, and that's why he put a lot of contraversial stuff in his book.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »
I sort of doubt it.  Da Vinci Code is a phenomenon.  I don't really thing you can "plan" to make one of those.  They just sort of take off, like Harry Potter.  Trying to write one on purpose probably happens all the time, but actually having one work is very rare.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 04:59:05 AM »
The Leadership Effectiveness Manual that I have lying around at work. I tend to avoid anything with the words "based on the seminal work of L. Ron Hubbard" printed on the cover.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 01:03:08 PM »
Sounds like one that might come in handy if you want to start a cult.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darkjetti81

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2006, 02:02:20 AM »
I have some business or finance books to list.  Save your money!

"Rich Dad Poor Dad" - and *anything* spawned from this series.  All it teaches is attitude after a lengthy introduction from hell.  Then later on you find out how the author an his wife really made their money - by selling those books!!!    Don't read them!  :P

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2006, 12:58:07 PM »
I have some business or finance books to list.  Save your money!

"Rich Dad Poor Dad" - and *anything* spawned from this series.  All it teaches is attitude after a lengthy introduction from hell.  Then later on you find out how the author an his wife really made their money - by selling those books!!!    Don't read them!  :P

I would like to say I disagree. Mainly because I know a millionaire who used Kiyosaki's information to become a millionaire. But you don't have to believe in Kiyosaki's teachings. I, however, will trust the millionaire. ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:05:57 PM by Tink »

darkjetti81

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006, 07:49:20 PM »
Well I read four of his books, but it's just the same principles being taught over and over again.
In "Your Guide to Investing," for example:   I wanted details on how the market worked according the author's perspective, and advice on how to proceed.  
Halfway through this thick book, he finally tells you: "this book isn't about investing, it's about the attitude the invester needs to have."  I was a little pissed off to say the least, especially because when you read back and do a skim of the chapters, you would have been convinced that was the books entire purpose.  Nope..   He just taught the same principles that were taught in "Rich Dad Poor Dad."  

No Offence, but I'm just not a millionare yet.  I need specifics, and I felt frustrated that he wouldn't cover the simplest aspects of calling a broker, how to research a stock or realestate investment, basic economic theorie, etc.

I know a couple of wealthy people too, and they all made it before these books were written so who knows...

Rak-O-Latern

• Level 4
  • I smile coz I have no idea whats going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »
I would seriously advise not to read a dictionary, because it is really boring. Seriously though, I thought Jack Higgins' "Toll for the Brave" was rubbish. ;D
"Just coz I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."- Homer Simpson

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2006, 12:30:50 PM »
I would seriously advise not to read a dictionary, because it is really boring.

This explains so much.

;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »
Whispers by Dean Koontz. Very, very, methodical/explicit.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:09:48 AM by chunktile »
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 03:36:25 AM »
I would seriously advise not to read a dictionary, because it is really boring.

I actually tried to do this in the 4th grade. I thought if I read the dictionary and memorized all the words, I'd be able to win the national spelling bee. I did get runner-up in the school bee in 8th grade (still kicking myself over forgetting the C in acquaintance--and it's an A word!), but I never really got through the As, given that I got beat up by the neighbor kids who thought I was too geeky. (Yes, I was, but hey, at least I had goals--I wanted to be the smartest kid in the world!)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing