Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32150 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2005, 01:48:08 AM »

I would say it was worth a sandwich.

This amused me greatly. I think from now on every time I agonize over whether to buy another book I will measure it in sandwiches.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

chasingisis

• Level 1
  • If I'm here, it means I'm not writing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2005, 12:48:41 PM »
I just finished Elantris myself. (Which is how I found Brandon Sanderson's site, which is how I found this site, which is why you are all stuck with me when I can't get writing done.)

Now, I'm flying out for this CONduit and I'm looking for a book to read on the plane. I'm coming from PA, so there's a puddle jumper and a layover and then another flight....so I need something preferably light in tone, but long. Maybe a Terry Pratchett? I don't know. Any suggestions?

"sacred environments...are not places to escape the world, but to enter it more deeply." - The Dalai Lama

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2005, 05:20:04 PM »
chasingisis,

I don't know what your opinion of YA is, but the first thing that popped into my mind was Crown Duel/Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. It it light and entertaining, and has a fun romance. It was originally published as two books, but you can get it as one book in paperback from Firebird. Even though it is "packaged" as YA, it reads like mainstream fantasy. At least, according to EUOL--I lent it to him to read since Sherwoood Smith had written a review of his book on her blog.

My friend Holly--another fantasy and YA writer/reader--highly recommends it as well. She is not on TWG, so you will have to take my word on her behalf.  :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:49 PM »

This amused me greatly. I think from now on every time I agonize over whether to buy another book I will measure it in sandwiches.

Yes, fuzzyoctopus, this is the state I have been reduced to lately. Do I eat or do I read? I am trying to avoid starvation by ravaging the library, but sometimes I can't resist. I mean, $6.99 for a hardback book (normally $14.99). That's a steal! Definitely worth a sandwich.  ;D

chasingisis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2005, 07:59:33 PM »
Chimera,

Thanks. I looked at the book, and it should fit the bill. Actually, I will have to recommend it to my best friend, who is really into YA fantasy and would enjoy it too.

;D
"sacred environments...are not places to escape the world, but to enter it more deeply." - The Dalai Lama

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2005, 06:44:09 PM »
So I'm on a Neil Gaiman kick right now. The first Gaiman work I came in contact with was the picture book There Are Wolves in the Walls which was illustrated by the same artist who did Sandman with him. Wolves is a very interesting post-modern picture book, kind of dark and creepy.

Next I read Stardust, which is a Victorian-style fairytale adventure. I found it in the YA section of the library, but it read like mainstream. For the most part I liked it--it felt reminiscient of the Andrew Lang fairytales, but influenced by modern writing style. Caution: there are a couple of short sex scenes.

I just finished Neverwhere, mainstream fantasy that takes place in an alternate world in the London underground. I enjoyed this more than Stardust, but that could partly be because it took place in London, and since I did study abroad there I am desperately in love with London. Reading about all the familiar London sites made my heart ache for this favorite city of mine. But it also made the book more enjoyable--I knew just what Gaiman was talking about when he would mention Leicester Square, the National Gallery, the walkway along the Thames, etc. I definitely recommend it, just for its imaginative prowess. Gaiman has such an interesting, darkly fantastic world here. Caution: not for the faint of heart, plenty of violence and blood.

My next read is Good Omens which he wrote with Terry Pratchett. EUOL highly recommended it, so I think it will be good. Gaiman seems to have a flair for darker fantasy, twisted slightly, but with positive themes; I'll be interested in what else he writes.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2005, 06:52:36 PM »
If you like Victorian fairy tales, Gaiman has a collection of dark fairy tales done in that vein. I forget the name of the collection, but a classmate of mine used it as her collection for our folklore class. One of the tales (don't ask me which one) was related to the story in Coraline.

I haven't read any Gaiman except Coraline, myself. Mainly for lack of time, I suppose. Too many other things to do. When I finally find the spare time to read for fun again, first on the list is Gregory Frost's new book, the name of which escapes me at the moment--the retelling of Bluebeard that's in the Terri Windling series. I got it back in March at ICFA but haven't had the time to read it yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2005, 06:56:35 PM »
Did you like Coraline? When I looked at all his books, that was my last choice, and I already had a bunch of books to check out so I decided to wait on it. What did you think of it?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2005, 07:27:30 PM »
I'm actually not the best person to ask on that. I thought it was okay, but not outstanding. It's supposed to be scary--lots of my friends say it scared them--but I read it at 2 in the morning and never felt freaked out at all. Perhaps I was just in a strange mood when I read it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2005, 07:30:14 PM »
No, your opinion is very valuable. That was kind of the feeling I was getting from reading the summaries and reviews of it. Like it was kind of creepy, but not all that original.

I don't know, I just wasn't feeling the vibe, so I put off reading it. I did really like Neverwhere, I'm glad I read that.

chasingisis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2005, 07:35:21 PM »
Now, see, I loved CORALINE. It was creepy: like an edgy ALICE IN WONDERLAND. It didn't so much scare me as give me the shivers. It was the kind of book I wish I could have read when I was a kid.

My friend and I are Neil Gaiman fanatics. NEVERWHERE is excellent, but I'm more fond of AMERICAN GODS. That's a much darker (again edgier) book, (definitely with sex scenes), but I also thought it rose above some of what he'd already done. He has another one coming out, I don't know what it's about or where it falls (YA, Adult, what) called the ANANSI BOYS. Also, there's supposed to be a movie later this summer, called MIRRORMASK.

If you're into graphic novels, Gaiman did the excellent SANDMAN series.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2005, 07:39:53 PM »
Also, there's supposed to be a movie later this summer, called MIRRORMASK.

A movie adapted from one of his books? Or a new screenplay that he wrote?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 07:40:43 PM by Chimera »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2005, 01:07:52 AM »
Mirrormask is a movie Gaiman made with his buddy Dave McKean. Guy who did the chapter covers and new Sandman covers. It looks to be very cool. It got rave reviews at Sundance last year, or whenever the last one was.

Ok, here's what you do Chimera. Go and "borrow" Tage's first five volumes of Sandman. I believe he has 1-5. I'm fairly certain I touched them when I visited. Also, do check out American Gods, very good.

As well, in Legends II, which is a collection of authors short stories that may or may not be an addition to one of their works, has a Gaiman story in it. I believe it ties American Gods and his latest, Anansi Boys, together.

Other than that I suggest you check out his website with his journal on it: http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp Enjoy!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2005, 03:24:57 AM »
Thanks Gemm. I shall soon be a Neil Gaiman devotee.

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2005, 08:25:17 AM »
I've just been looking at some Sandman covers. They're beautiful. I think I need to get hold of some of these.