Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32158 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2005, 12:22:09 AM »
I've been reading short stories published on-line by Sci Fiction. I like the stories, but I'm frustrated that half of the stories are considered to be science fiction/speculative fiction when they just aren't. I'm also frustrated with the stories that have great language, but beyond that are just stupid.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

chibent

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2005, 10:10:46 AM »
Currently reading Elantris, like a good little fangirl.  ;D

Just before that, I read Starship Troopers.  Now I understand why Heinlein fans were so disgusted by the movie.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 10:11:00 AM by chibent »

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2005, 10:19:26 AM »
I'm reading a Heinlein book at the moment, Time Enough For Love.

I'm a Heinlein fan, and I loved the movie - I just think it should have been titled differently because it was irrelevent to the book.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2005, 10:23:24 AM »
I hate to bring Jordan up again, but I'm giving Eye of the World another try. It's going much better than last time. I'm still not impressed for a number of reasons, but I don't hate it nearly so much.

Course, I'm only 150 pages in, but that's better than my last try.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »
I'm reading a Heinlein book at the moment, Time Enough For Love.

I like that book. I was bummed because the Provo city library doesn't have a copy.  Should have had J.T. look for a copy while hewas at half price books yesterday.  Darn!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2005, 05:41:11 PM »
Eric, I read the eye of the world years ago and decided it was enough, and stopped. Then I got bored while in Japan and listened to book 2 in audiobook format while doing graphics stuff on my computer. It made it much easier to get through and after a few books of this I was actually interested enough to want to read physical copies of the last few books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2005, 11:35:33 PM »
So doing the library thing I finally decided to give Peter David's original fiction a try.  I picked up Knight Life, and it sat at the bottom of my stack of books.  Because, unfortunately, I can only read so many Arthur-story books before I go insane. (Sorry SE.)  Much like the story of Romeo and Juliet, I think the story is fine, but I don't LIKE it.

So I finally gave Knight Life a try, 'cause well, Peter David - you know?

It's not bad.  He seems to dislike Lancelot almost as much as I do, which is no mean feat.   And because it's Peter David, the book is of course, very funny and clever.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »
if you liked knight life, try Sir Apropos of Nothing. It may have subject matter that's a touch darker than you like, if I remember your tastes, but it's got David's humor and it doesn't END badly, just unconventionally.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2005, 11:07:30 PM »
I tried it.  It was actually too dark for me to really enjoy.  It gets returned to the library now.

What I have been enjoying is a series of books I actually picked up at DI last week (I just bought them because they WERE a series, all together at DI). The Singers of Nevya trilogy by Louise Marley.  The books are "Sing the Light," "Sing the Warmth," and "Receive the Gift."

They're science fantasy, which in this case means that there's implying that the people on the planet were once colonists from somewhere else, but past that it's all fantasy.  I think they're probably actually YA books, but they're excellent and I've very much enjoyed reading them. I'll start on the third one tomorrow.  I think I need to find more series I've never heard of before that are already finished!

Anyone else read these?  Stacer? Kristy? Izzy?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 02:27:48 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2005, 02:25:19 AM »
It feels like it ought to be familiar, but it's not. Once I get caught up with my background reading, perhaps I'll add it to my list (which is already extensive--I doubt I'll ever catch up, even with the books on my own (figurative, at this point) bookshelf).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »
I haven't, but after devouring Elantris I've been feeling a little lonely for good fantasy books to read. I'll try and find it at my library.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2005, 02:55:29 AM »
My reading time has been taken up recently by cheese-fiction...Warhammer and Eberron novels.

I'll be picking up Elantris soon though.  I can't wait to dig in.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »
I'm dividing my time between Elantris, Wake Me When It's Over, and Donaldson's "Gap" series; that's his sci-fi series. It's not all that bad. Aside from there being veritibly little dialogue, horrible scenes involving rape, and a completely unlikable character as the main character. Oh Donaldson how your writing makes me loathe you.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2005, 04:15:00 AM »
I read a lot so I may end up posting here often (especially late at night when I can't sleep because there's a loud dance party right outside my window and I'm stressed because I'm supposed to be studying for Spanish or sleeping but am unable to convince myself to do either at this late hour when my brain has become goofy).

I just finished a YA by Michael O. Tunnell, a professor of children's lit at BYU (in the education department). It is called Wishing Moon and is a continuation of the 'Aladdin and the Lamp' tale. I am really fascinated by Arabian folktales, and it was a hardback on sale for $6.99, so I bought it with my dwindling amount of money (dwindling because I am between jobs.) Hey, I can go without one meal, right?

I would say it was worth a sandwich. I enjoyed it--the culture was interesting and seemed accurate, the characters were round and engaging, and the romance was less predictable than most--but the climax felt a little 'deus ex machina' to me. The resolution of the climax was foreshadowed, but it still seemed too magical and easy. (This thought, however, made me want to examine other books where magic figures into the resolution of the problem but doesn't come across as 'deus ex machina.' Research project!) And the ending--the little 'surprise' on the last page--was just a little bit cheesy for me. And I like cheese.

However, if you are interested in retellings of Arabian Nights stories or enjoy Arabian folklore, I would recommend it, along with Shadow Spinners by Susan Fletcher and Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen, two of my favorite YA 'Arabian' books. Shadow Spinners is a different take on the Scherazade tale, and Seven Daughters is a lesser known folktale where a girl disguises herself as a boy to save her family (common enough worldwide--look at Mulan in China and Shakespeare's heroines in England). I would probably pick up these before Wishing Moon, but I recommend all three.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2005, 11:40:34 PM »
I second Shadow Spinners. There's The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey, as well.

I've been reading the Dragonlance: The New Adventures, books 1-8. I'm going to be editing the new ones, so I need to be familiar with the old ones. I'm happily surprised--they're really good. Fun adventure/fantasy reads.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing