Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32155 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »
speaking of slightly disappointed, but not enough to make you hate it: One Knight Only has been hard to get into. I gave Knight Life, the prequel, a decent review because while it didn't add anything particularly new to the genre it was still very funny and fairly fun to read. It was mostly fluff though. This one isn't nearly so funny. In fact, in the first 40 pages I think there was one joke. It skips over a lot of material -- a September 11 style attack, Arthur's run for president, his first term, and an Iraq-style war  are all glossed over quickly in a flash back. The fun of the first one was his run for office and getting used to modern life. Now Merlin's not even a character (having died) and he's already in office. Maybe I'm not giving it enough chance, but it's a very different book in terms of who it encompasses and what's going on and the tone. *shrug* I'll finish it.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2005, 03:16:54 PM »
I just finished A Rage for Falcons, by Stephen Budico, a nonfiction about falconing

/me clears throat

Sorry, that's Budio, just in case anyone was trying to find it.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2005, 08:29:11 PM »
I'm currently reading Galileo's Daughter. It's not bad from a historical perspective. It only spent a minimum amount of time on his "throw things off the tower of Pisa and see what hits the ground first" experiment. Otherwise it does a very good job making him into a real person and not just a historical figure--especially through his daughter's letters about his laundry.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2005, 03:02:18 AM »
Ok, anybody read the "Weather Warden" series, by Rachel Caine?

I got the first book in the mail yesterday.

I'm only 50 pages in and I already like it - I like the narrative style and the humor if nothing else.

What's buggin me to death is - how did I never hear of this series before??  It's, 2003, not that new.  And the reviews I've read are all stellar.

Are there other great fantasy series just hiding out there without my knowing about them?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2005, 03:22:01 AM »
I didn't find Death Dealer series until almost 15 years after it was published.  So you're doing good in my book if it didn't even take 2 years.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2005, 09:31:28 PM »
I just finished Howl's Moving Castle for the first time and I loved it. I basically devoured it in less than 24 hours (not hard, considering it is printed with double spacing).

Could someone post what the other books in that series are?

I'm in the middle of The Witch Must Die and I am enjoying it a lot.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2005, 09:33:10 PM »
Hooray for The Witch Must Die!  My favorite parts are in the first chapter when he explains his theory.  Though, I like the last chapter alot too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:33:35 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2005, 09:38:54 PM »
I'm really enjoying the book. I think my favorite part is being introduced to fairy tales I didn't know about before like The Frog Princess, and The Adroit Princess.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »
I still haven't read Howl's Moving Castle Yet, either. I checked it out from the library a while back, but never found the time. I don't know the rest of the series--perhaps fuzzy or Brenna do.

As I was telling MoD earlier today--I'm going to have to read The Uses of Enchantment for my folklore class this semester, so I'll have to do some follow-up summer reading in The Witch Must Die.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2005, 05:03:51 AM »
As far as I  know there's just one sequel to Howl's Moving Castle - "Castle in the Air" which you cannot read without having read Howl first, or the ending will make absolutely NO sense to you.

I finally got my copy of that book Stacer and her YA friends so generously tracked down for me - "Out of the Ordinary" by Annie Dalton.  I was afraid it might not be as good as I remembered it from when I was 10, but no - it's still just as good a book.  Excellent YA stuff, great fantasy, but not dumbed-down really.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2005, 02:45:18 PM »
The Devil Wears Prada.

I've been wanting to read it since I saw it in an airport bookstore in August, and I finally got a Provo library card this week.  (Happy day!)

And it's hilarious.  It makes me so happy.  I wish I had written this book.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2005, 09:10:49 PM »
I've just begun reading Wizard of Earthsea again (Ursula Le Guin http://www.ursulakleguin.com/ , after I flicked through a few pages and found I'd almost completely forgotten it. It's nice to be able to read it again, almost as if for the first time.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2005, 01:13:25 AM »
Maybe you should lose your memory.  Then you could read everything again, as if for the first time.  

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »
Maybe you should lose your memory.  Then you could read everything again, as if for the first time.  

I keep telling myself that if as I get elderly I lose my memory that this will be the greatest part of it.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2005, 01:24:18 AM »
Of course, it would be smart to make a list of books you'd never want to read again before you lost your memory, otherwise you'd end up reading lousy books because you don't remember they suck.