Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32113 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom, by Beth Hilgartner

Since I finished my other Beth Hilgartner book last night, I can safely say that while she does great characters, her flaw as an author is that she doesn't know how to end a book.  They always just STOP.  And since this one was written in 1986 and the other one was written in 2000, it's not something she's grown out of.

If I ever meet her I'm going to rip the page out of the dictionary that has "denouement" on it, circle it, and hand it to her.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 12:16:50 AM »
I am reading the osprey guide to the Assyrians, and the Exalted RPG corebook.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 12:24:20 AM »
Today in the mail I got "Juniper" by Monica Furlong.  Oddly I like this book, the prequel, much better than I like Wise Child, the first book.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

dinodynamo

• Level 2
  • Live forever or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 05:06:21 PM »
The most recent book I've read was "The DaVinci Code" by Don Brown. Or Dan Brown, don't quite recall at the moment.

An in depth murder mystery with secret societies and and religious implications, this book kept me hooked since the second page at least.

Before that I read the entire Dark Elf collection by R.A. Salvatore.
-Yarbles!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 05:15:22 PM »
I'm finally reading The Chronicles of Narnia.  I never read them as a kid, and my wife convinced me to do it.  I'm reading them in series order, not the order they were written in, and I liked the first book (Magician's Nephew) better than the second (The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe).  My wife says that's blasphemy.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

dinodynamo

• Level 2
  • Live forever or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 05:27:59 PM »
Ah, Narnia, spectacular series. I think I've read Lewis more than I have Tolkien.
-Yarbles!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »
As you can probably guess if you know the subject of my paper due tomorrow (draft, I mean--finished paper won't be done till Dec.), I've been reading The Princess and the Goblin reeeeaaallly slowly. The first half of the book is about twice as thick now because of all the sticky notes in it. I need to go faster and just pick out the most important things. Then I have to reread The Princess and Curdie, doing the same thing.

Oh--they were written by George MacDonald, if you were wondering. And they're really good.

And it occurs to me that I've posted this same book under What are you reading before. And yes, I'm still reading them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 05:38:27 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 03:59:16 PM »
True confession--

I started reading this Anita Sheffield (sp?) novel last night, because I was in the mood for junk fiction, and my roommate handed it to me.  And then I stayed up until 3:30 reading the entire book.  I got sucked into sappy Mormon fiction!  And worse, it was sappy Mormon *Christmas* fiction!!  Worse yet, it was corny, badly written, sappy Mormon Christmas fiction.

I feel so cheap.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:00:43 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »
I would imagine you mean Anita Stansfield, Queen Mother of LDS Romance.

www.robisonwells.com

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »
Yeah, that's it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »
Here's some interesting trivia: Anita Stansfield has sold more books than any other LDS author, ever.  While other authors, like Gerald Lund, have had individual books that sell really well, Stansfield continually cranks out crap en masse, and people suck it up like it was crack cocaine.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 04:16:28 PM »
Why do people say crack cocaine? I always thought that the one was slang for the other, and that grouping them together was stupid. Am I wrong, or is Mustard stupid? Or both?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 04:18:24 PM »
Yeah, my roommie (I love her, don't get me wrong) owns all her books.  She wants to bring them all down from Roy (where she's from) after break because she thinks I should read them.  Eeek.  

Stansfield's characters can do some interesting things with dialogue.  Like "snarl" it "lightly."  And "insist" it.  And my favorite, "almost smile" it.  And this is the reason I slept until noon today.  

And besides, relationships never happen the way this one did.  Partly because the guy wasn't even a guy--he was some bizzare fantasy guy who doesn't even act like a person would.  He is the reason relationships don't work out, because people read these books and confuse these ridiculous images with reality.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:24:13 PM by MsFish »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 04:19:22 PM »
I've always thought that crack cocaine refered to the form the cocaine was in, but I could be wrong.  

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 04:38:57 PM »
What was the name of the book?

And I always understood crack cocaine was a cheaper, street version of cocaine.

www.robisonwells.com