Author Topic: Black Powder War  (Read 1644 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Black Powder War
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:24:20 PM »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Black Powder War
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:22 PM »
I just finished reading this, and I agreed for the most part with the review. It's a highly unsatisfying ending, because there's no conclusion and no resolution at all--they could have lost most of the overland journey without making me sad, and spent more time on the European war and the return to England.

Still, I liked it a lot more than Throne of Jade (which also suffered from the "long boring travel sequence that takes half the book" syndrome). And the war at the end is great--I kept imagining Peter Jackson doing the movie version, and smiling beatifically at the world.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
I liked Throne of Jade slightly better and rated it 1/2 clock higher because the setting was better than in Black Powder War. Although I will agree with you that the war at the end is pretty dang good and handled well.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:39:20 PM »
The Chinese setting was good, but it just took too long to get there--I realize that the voyage to China would have been months long, but that doesn't mean she had to portray it in real time. I was seriously ready to just stop reading halfway through that boat trip, but decided to give it a second chance.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »
I totaly just put the book down by the time they were about to reach their first oasis. I really didn't want another boring travel story. But I persevered. And, I think that if Novik should have made 1 of 2 choiches, either to cut all the travel, or go a lot more in depth. I personally would prfer the second. The descriptions of the desert and the areas of the Feral dragons could have made very interesting liittle side stories. The wars are exiting, though. I kept pulling out the teacher's edition History book I got as a going away present from my 8th grade teacher, and tracking down this or that battle. I almost cried, even with the disjointed feeling thing, when [spoiler!] the boy and the dragon died. :'( And the Fire-breather promisises to be a great character in the next book. I'm reaaly hoping, though, that the Author stays in Europe with the plague book she is writing at the moment. I knew when we first see the Canadian Dragon that he would be important, I just didn't know how.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:13:47 PM by Kuntry_Bumpken »
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"