Author Topic: Harry Potter Tease -- Will he die?  (Read 10036 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Harry Potter Tease -- Will he die?
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
This was in the news this morning.

From an interview with JK Rowling:

Miss Rowling, 40, who is putting the finishing touches on the final book, said she could understand why authors kill off their main characters to stop imitators from writing sequels without their permission.

"I've never been tempted to kill him off before the end of the book because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," she said in a rare interview with Richard and Judy on Channel 4.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, 'well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels' as they call them.'

"So it will end with me and after I'd dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character.

"Agatha Christie did that with Poirot didn't she? She wanted to finish him off herself."

Asked why she would not commit herself to saying exactly whether or not she was going to kill him, she added: 'I'm not going to commit myself because I don't want the hate mail!'

Also:

While one character will now get a reprieve, "two die that I didn't intend to die". Asked by Judy if it will be any of the much loved characters, she said: "A price has to be paid, we are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters...well I do. This is a world where some pretty nasty things can happen."
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Harry Potter Tease -- Will he die?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 05:13:23 PM »
How likely would that be?  Someone else writing about Harry Potter without her permission?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
As likely as someone writing about Peter Pan without permission, actually. Which is relatively often (Peter and the Starcatchers, Hook, etc.). She's talking about someone using the character after she dies and copyright expires. Plus, there's a lot of fan fiction out there (though I don't think that's what she means).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »
Ahh, well I was more talking about while she lived since I doubt the copyright would expire in her lifetime.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
75 years here in the uk. Too long.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:22:49 PM »
I'm sorry, "two die that I didn't intend to die?" You're the author. You wrote it. Nobody dies unless, at the time, you intended them to die.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 11:04:34 PM »
I'm sorry, "two die that I didn't intend to die?" You're the author. You wrote it. Nobody dies unless, at the time, you intended them to die.

But the Devil made her do it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »
As an author I can absolutely understand where she's coming from. Things often happen in my books that I didn't "intend" to happen.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 04:02:04 AM »
Sprig: How likely would that be?  Someone else writing about Harry Potter without her permission?
Stacer: As likely as someone writing about Peter Pan without permission, actually. Which is relatively often (Peter and the Starcatchers, Hook, etc.). She's talking about someone using the character after she dies and copyright expires. Plus, there's a lot of fan fiction out there (though I don't think that's what she means).
Sprig: Ahh, well I was more talking about while she lived since I doubt the copyright would expire in her lifetime.

You'd be surprised. This is really bizzare, but just today I read in some old blog on the Internet about a disgruntled fan who wrote and published a "corrected" version of HP and the Half-Blood Prince. I can't find the exact blog, but here's another link.
http://www.watleyreview.com/2005/072605-3.html

A disgruntled Harry Potter fan has released a "corrected" version of J.K Rowling's latest installment in the series, The Half-Blood Prince, prompting a storm of curiosity and support from many fans who disliked the direction of the story in the book. It has also, not surprisingly, prompted a storm of legal activity from Rowling's publishers.

"Whenever an author puts a work out into the universe, it is no longer their exclusive property anymore," said Mary Sue Pembroke, who is credited as the author of the modified book. "Harry Potter belongs to all of us, not just Rowling. She took some liberties with the story in this latest book that really weren't faithful to the logic of the narrative. My version is, I think it fair to say, much more faithful to the true Harry Potter mythos."

"Rowling seems to think the relationships she's described in Half-Blood Prince were clearly telegraphed in previous books," sniffed Pembroke. "All I can say is, if that's what she thinks, she clearly doesn't understand Harry Potter like I do."

"The only way for an author to keep a piece of writing completely their own is to never have it published," insisted Pembroke. "J.K. Rowling, you asked for this."

What a blithering idiot!
As a writer, this really bothers me. You, a fan and NOT the author of the work, cannot take it and change the book to suit your liking and then *publish* it (granted, it was on the Internet, but still). And you, a fan, are not in a position to say whether or not the author has followed "the true Harry Potter mythos." She created Harry Potter--it's her mythos, loser!!! She can do with it what she wants! And claiming that if you publish it the world and characters become the property of the people is just baloney. What about copyright? This sort of thing makes me really leery of fanfiction--and the people who write it. (If you read in the article about her version, you'll probably laugh at how stupid it is. I did.)

No wonder J. K. Rowling is tempted to kill off her characters--with pyscho fans like this woman!

But, all this aside, it does kind of sound like, with that "hate mail comment" discussed in the first post, that Harry might be in danger. And I'm getting pretty worried about Ron and Hermione, too.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 05:28:29 AM »
Wow.  I read the rest of that article and that person sounds legitimately crazy.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:18 AM »
Ah.  That makes more sense.  The article is completly fictional.  I thought she sounded a little too crazy, even for a Harry Potter fan.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
The name should have tipped you off - Mary Sue Pembroke.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 01:21:44 PM »
So yes, obviously fake, but there are several points here I agree with. I do beleive that any public work becomes part of the public mind and, as such, is open to interpretation by others. How many works of art would we be without if people were not allowed to reinterpret Shakespeare, for example? Reinterpretations of Harry Potter are inevitable, wether she kills him or not, and she needs to deal with it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
ya but Shakespeare was hundreds of years ago we're talking about something that's only been around for 10 years.