Author Topic: Review: Inkheart  (Read 4230 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Inkheart
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »
Ah.  That's a good one. I'll have to remember to use it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 02:57:15 AM »
There's a Geek Girl involving Eragon to come.  It might not be what you think, though.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
Just finished reading "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire and I'm going to rank this 'adult' fiction among those which mainstream readers like, but speculative fiction readers don't. It's an OK book, fun and entertaining, even. But there's all sorts of plot holes and poor writing for this genre. It was disappointing.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
They did a play of that. It's $100 a seat for tickets.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »
Yeah, it's on Broadway. It's done tours and everything.  It's likely popular because it's raunchy and not because it's a great work of literature.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
And the musical was durned good, too.  Haven't read the book yet, though it checks out like hotcakes at the library.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »
Also, my haranguing has nothing to do with the fact that the author stole my name. (A main character is named "Nessarose" nick "Nessa".)

I promise it doesn't.

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 01:56:52 PM »
Was the bit about being raunchy aimed at the musical or the book?  I didn't find the musical raunchy at all.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
The musical isn't raunchy at all.  In fact, it's one of the best musicals in years.  But I hear the book is pretty...graphic.  Which is why I haven't ever read it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »
Ah.  I hadn't heard that about the book.  It surprises me then that it's checking out so well in Utah County.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
It doesn't surprise me.  Repression is a terrible thing.   ;D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Was the bit about being raunchy aimed at the musical or the book?  I didn't find the musical raunchy at all.

If the sex were any more detailed in the book it could rank down there with Harlequin (I hate to admit it, but I've read one of those Harlequin "Luna" imprint fantasy books and it was gross and awful). There's serveral adulturous relationships (almost condoned), a sex show that doesn't figure at all into the plot, and plenty of talking about sex. It was just obnoxious and detracted from the book.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:51:13 PM by MrsNessaC »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
My sister and her roommates at Ricks love the musical, they all saw it when then went to NYC this past January.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

allie_gurl

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 06:24:57 PM »
oooo I find inkheart is the second best book!!(the first is inkspell-the sequel)Its a mixture of fantasy, action, friendship...I just cant wait to see the movie... :D

lehea

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 11:31:22 PM »
I've read Inkheart and it's sequel Inkspell.  Both are really good must-reads if you have not read them and you like Cornelia Funke... or even if you haven't heard of her.  I read Dragon Rider and got hooked on her writing style, she's one of the best authors.
weee!