Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311070 times)

dhalagirl

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1755 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:20 AM »
Fuzzy Nation is Awesome!!!  I'm almost done reading Monster Hunter Vendetta and I'm loving it just as much as I did the first one.  Next up is Shades of Milk and Honey.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
I loved, loved, loved Shades of Milk and Honey, and I am still sad it didn't make it on the Hugo ballot.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 25, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Yeah, Shades of Milk & Honey was pretty solid.  As for the Hugos, I'm not surprised actually.  She isn't high enough on the popularity ladder yet.  It has nothing to do with actual quality.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 28, 2011, 10:42:08 PM »
I just finished my read through of GRRM's ASOIF.  This was my fourth read through, but it's been about two years since I read them last.  I'll bite my tongue as to Martin's tardiness with this novel.  For any who are interested, he did post a lengthy entry on his NotABlog about some of the reasons why he's taken so long.  Also, I watched his interview with Joe Abercrombie and he talked about writing the opening scenes back when he first started.  I was struck by his mentioning that the chapter was really flowing for him and he ran through it very quickly over the course of three days.  It's hard for me to understand a slow writer.  I write very quickly.  Usually I knock out 3-6k words at a time over the course of several hours.  I also read incredibly fast.  I know a good friend of mine who reads at a fraction of the pace that I do and writes much slower.  So I think there is definitely a coorelation there, but I'm just not a slow writer.  Clearly Martin is.  His prose is gorgeous though and while mine is starting to gather interest in the right circles, I'm nowhere near Martin.  So while I've been upset with his seeming lack of progress, I have to acknowledge that if it takes 3 days to finish a single chapter when the writing is going extremely well...it could take awhile to finish a novel that's 1000 pages.  End Rant.

Spoiler Warning for those who haven't read the books..don't read on.

I've been following the HBO series as well and I think it's a true mark of a writer that most of the lines have been word for word from the book and they are even more powerful when spoken.  That's good prose, my friends.  It's always hard for me to read the first book.  Eddard Stark is eerily similar to my father.  He won't lie, won't hide his feelings, and does whatever he feels is right no matter the cost.  That the cost is his head and ultimately the downfall of his house is truly tragic.  Honestly, I find it hard to let my breathe out until after the Red Wedding.  I like Martin's realism, but dammit, I really want the Starks to triumph.  It's a bit like reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  You know the Empire fails, but you can't help yourself from hoping it won't happen.

A Feast for Crows was a good read.  I love Jamie and Arya's viewpoints.  I also like how well Martin gets inside the head of his characters.  Reading Cersei's POV, it reads like she's a genius.  Because she believes she is a genius and everyone around her is stupid.  Obviously, the external ramifications that Martin shows us from other POV's demonstrates that she is the real idiot.  A lesser writer wouldn't allow her POV to feel as authentic.  Feast does a good job of introducing new characters with new threads that hint at things we've yet to glimpse.  It really makes one wonder how he's going to wrap this up in 3 books.  It makes me wonder if this isn't something that he's been struggling with and a large reason for why he's taking so long.  I know that Martin originally envisioned writing the last half of the series five years after the Red Wedding (I think it was the Red Wedding).  I think he's got his work cut out for him. 

All in all, this was a fun reread.  I especially enjoyed the events leading up to the Red Wedding.  Roose Bolton talks about how his army got cut off and some of it was lost to the Lannisters.  The first time through I didn't notice that it was all of Robb's most loyal subjects.  Then he gives Robb a reasonable explanation for only bringing his own men and the Karstarks who are on the verge of mutiny.  In hindsight, it's obvious that this is all part of the grander plan to end the King in the North.  Again, a lesser writer probably wouldn't have included that, but that Martin did just adds another dimension to his work.  Some highlights that I enjoyed:  the duel between Dorne and Ser Gregor Clegane and Tyrion and his father/Shae.

Definitely looking forward to Dance.

Currently I'm reading UR, a novella by Stephen King.  I'll post that up probably sometime early next week.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1759 on: June 01, 2011, 12:40:38 AM »
Just finished The Dervish House by Ian McDonald.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 01, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
How was it?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1761 on: June 01, 2011, 04:29:10 AM »
I really enjoyed it--it's a very different book. Not a whole lot of action, and it makes you work a little harder than a lot of books do (which I don't think is a bad thing, necessarily). But yes, neat setting, good characters, and some VERY interesting concepts.

I'll probably write a review of it in the next little while, but that's the condensed version.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
What am I reading? Well, I can't tell any of you.  8) It's not on shelves yet, and might not be until mid fall, and from an excellent author whom most of you have probably never heard of before. If I sound smug, it's because I am.  :P Anyway, after I'm finished with it I'll write a review and ask the author if it's okay if I post it here. Okay, gloating done.  ;D
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1763 on: June 01, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
Finished Scott Bakker's  White-Luck Warrior.  Such a waste of time.  And money.  Grumble grumble.

On a positive note, I started Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Correy (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) today.  Even the first chapter of this one is awesome.  Genius.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
Reading the first Long Prince Quartet Book. got halfway through and bought the next 3. Very interesting book. I see why so many people (including other fantasy writers) like it.

finished the 3 Ken Scholes books in his eventual 5 book series. Interesting world and ideas. It is post apacalyptic. So there are machines and magic. He reveals a little about the world at a time which is good. I like that he keeps the books to 400 pages, but I think he is trying to accomplish too much in those pages. The 3rd book ends with the rising up of a peasant hero (you don't see this until the 3rd book). Its a bit of a twist, but the same motiff. They are pretty good, but not great. The best part of the books is not the plot or the characters, but the tidbits you learn about the history of the world.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:52 AM »
Finished UR, Riding the Bullet, and The Long Walk, all by Stephen King.

UR was good, about a english professor that receieves a pink Kindle.  (Pink? you say)  Turns out that this particular Kindle is from an alternate reality that has access to all 10.4 million realities.  This means that there are plenty of works by Hemingway, Shakespeare that have never been seen in our reality.  THe story progresses from there, along with some nice references to the Tower.  Great story, semi decent ending.

Riding the Bullet is a short story about a young man making a deal with the devil.  Really it's about death and fate.  Pretty good story with a good ending, very short.

The Long Walk is King writing as Bachman.  This was a really good read.  It's about one boy who has signed up for the Long Walk.  He's one of a 100 kids under the age of 18 who have enlisted to walk until only one is left.  When they stop walking or drop below 4mph  they are given a warning by soldiers shadowing them.  Three warnings and they are shot.  This is reminiscent of the Hunger Games (although it was written well before that).  The fact that this is a semi-long read and it's essentially inside the head of a sixteen year old the entire time, yet never gets boring, is amazing.  This is a deeply psychological, philosophical work.  By the time the end drew near I was emotionally invested and holding my breath.  The ending wasn't perfect, but I'm not sure there is ever such a thing with a piece like this.  I definitely reccomend it.

Currently I'm working my way through Bag of Bones.  It has a feel that's very similar to Lissey's Story which I loved.  Reading King's prose is like making love to the written word.  Bag of Bones is about an author (surprise, surprise) and I get the feeling that King is using the main character (1st person POV) to get across a lot of what he believes regarding the writing process, ideas, and his thoughts on life.  I can't wait to finish it and then I'm onto the Company Man.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 06, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
I loved Empire of Black and Gold, though it did have some weaknesses. I'm hoping those are due to this being the author's first book. Now I'm on to Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which I like so far.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 06, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »
I loved Empire of Black and Gold, though it did have some weaknesses. I'm hoping those are due to this being the author's first book.

Oh, don't worry. I just finished the Scarab Path and mmmm that was good. You get this extremely personal struggle within the city, but there's also this epic battle that comes when two armies clash. Best of both worlds.

It was also awesome to see a more-or-less Inapt city and learn more about the magic, but they also tossed in new technology with Totho and a new wasp artificer. Again, best of both worlds.

And then there's this a great mystery throughout the novel, and the story really expanded on his world, which is one of Tchaikovsky's greatest strengths.

It was by far my favorite of his so far, and I think I'll be ordering the UK version of the Sea Watch just so I can get it early.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »
I can now see why so many people here have been talking about Shades of Milk and Honey.  It's absolutely delightful.

Now it's on to Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon. (Yay!  Sentella hotness!)

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 07, 2011, 04:09:40 PM »
Re-reading the Sword Of Truth series <3  and starting the Dark elf/ Drizzt series. I honestly have no idea where to start on this. I heard there is quite a bit of conflict on the subject. I am also reading Ivanhoe. just turned the first page, literally.
Nothing is ever easy...