Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311112 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1725 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
Done with THE UNREMEMBERED.  Bad.  I don't understand why the industry insists on trying to find another Robert Jordan story--well actually I do.  Money.  But still.  We don't need another clone.  We just need good, original, entertaining stories that are well written.  Orullian is a good dude, but as my favorite NFL commentators say, "C'mon man!"

Also finished THE ALCHEMIST IN THE SHADOWS (sequel to THE CARDINAL'S BLADES).  Not the best book ever, but there is just something about musketeers that is SO fun to read about. 

Before I read THE SCARAB PATH, I promised Dan I would read WOLFSANGEL so we could discuss it and the review we are going to write up.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 22, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »
Finished off the Hunger Games Trilogy yesterday.  I didn't really intend to, but after the second I had to know how everything turned out.

If you liked Hunger Games and Mazerunner you should try Gone by Michael Grant. I'll caution you that it gets pretty disturbing.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 23, 2011, 12:00:20 AM »
Alright, five books read this week (a few short ones).

First up was The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie.  I held off on reading this because I'm torn on Abercrombie's works.  ON the one hand, he's got a lot of talent.  On the other hand I think he tries too hard to make nasty, unlikeable characters who are mostly cowards.  I like gritty, real works.  (GRRM anyone?)  But I'm not a huge fan of a world absent of anyone who isn't a big turd.  Abercrombie's trilogies were a decent debut.  I liked them.  Best Served Cold I didn't like much at all.  It just went on and on and on with a very obvious ending. 

Now, complaints out of the way:  I liked Heroes.  Abercrombie seems to have reined in his over the top characters.  Most of the characters were believable with very real/understandable emotions.  Abercrombie's writing was in top form (as usual) and we actually had a few likeable characters.  For anyone who has read the previous novels, you'll recognize a lot of familiar faces.  The action was quick paced and even though it only covers a few days, it didn't feel like there was any fluff.  My biggest issue with Abercrombie is that he writes purely entertainment fiction.  I never put one of his books down with any new thoughts or perspectives.  I put his book down thinking hmm..that was good...and immediately forget it.  It's like watching a good action movie.  It's nice in the theater, but you're not going to watch it when it comes out on dvd.  And that's Joe Abercrombie for me.  A quick, entertaining read, but no real substance.  Still, I reccomend it if you're reading list is scraping the bottom of the barrel and you need a good read.

Per Dan's suggestion from the podcast I picked up The first two Joe Ledger novels by Jonathon Mayberry.  Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory.  This was good stuff.  Think Tom Clancy with some pretty awesome sci fi thrown in.  The first novel deals with zombies, but Mayberry goes to great lengths to show the science behind it so that it's believable.  Well, sorta believable.  The main character is a Ex-Ranger, Baltimore PD Detective.  This is probably the only portion that is hard to swallow.  The main character is nearly super human capable.  Throughout the novels the man never sleeps, is always sharp in picking things up to move the plot forward, rarely gets injured, and manages to kill dozens of people with very little effects.  The second novel deals with racism, eugenics, and Unicorns.  Haha, yep, unicorns.  There is more character development, but these novels are still very much plot driven.

All in all, Mayberry's a good, quick read.  The main POV is 1st person, but the rest switch between a very loose 3rd limited and omniscient.  Again, nothing this more entertainment reading, but not bad.

I read a Louis Lamour book because it'd been awhile (I've read all of his books at least twice and most of them half a dozen or more).  If you've ever read any of his novels, you know they're formulaic.  But I still love reading him for a number of reasons.  First, he was a consummate scholar and historian.  Historical fiction at its best.  Secondly, the man lived.  By 17 he was in Singapore working on a ship.  He traveled all over the world, was a professional boxer with a pretty good record, served in the army, and did about a million other jobs.  Anyway, Lamour is the opposite of the other writers this week.  He's entertaining (if predictable once you've read a lot of his books), but he imparts a lot of wisdom through his works.

Finally, I read the first Vampire Diaries novel.  I have to admit, the TV series has been something of a guilty pleasure of mine.  I figured I'd give the books a try.  The novels are a lot different from the TV series.  In many ways it's like reading another story (though I have to say I like the TV show a lot better).  The story is pretty good, kind of has an Anne Rice feel to it.  The biggest issue I have is with the characters.  The author seems to lapse between vapid, shallow girls who are the most popular in the school and intelligent, thoughtful girls who can see below the surface.  Often a character will use words that are not in keeping with who they are.  This pulls the reader out of the story.  The ending was incredibly anticlimactic and didn't really end.  I turned the page and the book was over.  Weird.  I'll probably try to read one more because I do love the TV series and they are short books, but if it's more of the same I'll just stick with the show.

@maxonennis thanks I'll check it out.  I'm chewing through my reading list so I def. need some good reads.  I'm looking forward to GRRM and (hopefully) Lynch this year, but other than that, just looking for new stuff.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:46 AM »
@fireflyz - I found the 3rd Joe Ledger novel to be better than the 2nd one.  I love reading his stuff.  Dan shares his agent with Jonathan Maberry, and was how i heard of the guy in the first place.  Read Patient Zero and completely loved it.  Finally convinced Dan to read it--of course he loved it.

I'd suggest you pick up James Barclay, Tom Lloyd, Adrian Tchaikovsky, and Jasper Kent.  the first novels of those first 3 authors a a tad rough, but after that they are completely awesome.  Jasper Kent's novels are just completely awesome all the way around--he was my top Hugo nomination this year.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 23, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »
@Bookstore Guy  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll check out Jasper Kent next week for sure (and some of the others if I have time).  As an aside, do you go to a lot of the cons?  I went to World Fantasy per Peter's suggestion/help and made some good connections (met Dan Wells there also), but I haven't been to any of the others yet.  Part of it is that I'm on the East Coast and both WorldCon and World Fantasy are West this year.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 25, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »
@Bookstore Guy  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll check out Jasper Kent next week for sure (and some of the others if I have time).  As an aside, do you go to a lot of the cons?  I went to World Fantasy per Peter's suggestion/help and made some good connections (met Dan Wells there also), but I haven't been to any of the others yet.  Part of it is that I'm on the East Coast and both WorldCon and World Fantasy are West this year.

I try to go to 1 major Con a year--usually either WorldCon or World Fantasy.  This year I'm going to WorldCon, but I may hit World Fantasy as well depending on my vacation/money situation. Going to Cons is how I made enough connections to start a good review blog.  The people at the various publishing companies already knew me when I sent out emails saying, "Hey!  I'm a reviewer now!  Send me books!"  This year WorldCon is kinda a two-part trip - 1) Pitch novel.  2) Get on panels where I can point at myself saying "Look!  I'm a reviewer!  Vote for me in the Hugos next year!"

Next year WorldCon is in Chicago and World Fantasy is in Toronto.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:14 AM »
That's cool, Reno should be a lot of fun.  I was curious as to how you got your start as a reviewer.  That makes a lot of sense.  Sounds like you did your homework.  Good luck with pitching the novel!  Haha nothing more nervewracking than delivering your pitch and trying to read body language to see if they like it.  Then again, when they give you their card and ask for pages it's one of the best feelings ever.  I'll have to satisfy myself with NY Comic Con and WorldCon in Chicago next year.   OH and thanks for the Jasper Kent suggestion, working my way through twelve right now.

Josh Dawson

« Reply #1732 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
Ok, I tend to load myself up with reading:

Over the last month, I've been slowly working my way through Eddings' "Elenium," re-reading Jordan's "Wheel of Time" (again), re-reading Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy, and educating myself in such classics as "The Picture of Dorian Gray," and "Jekyll and Hyde."

Is it any wonder I never complete assignments any more? >.<

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
WOLFSANGEL is an odd novel so far.  The first 60 pages feel like you're reading a disjointed mythology tale.  Then the novel completely changes into an almost strictly 3rd Person Limited gritty historical fantasy novel.  Once you get past those first 60 pages, the novel is actually really fun and slightly reminiscent of Gemmell.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1734 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
@fireflyz:  Twelve totally rocked.  Loved that book.  Just got Thirteen Years Later from Amazon and can't wait to read it.

@BSG:  Points 1 and 2 acknowledged, sir.  Glad to see you concur.

Almost done with the Clockwork Man book.  It's way good.  Hodder just won the Phillip K. Dick award too.  Total coolness.   8)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
I'm actually really upset that Twelve wasn't Hugo nominated, or that Kent wasn't Campbell nominated.  Man, that ending made everything so much more awesome.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
Sorry for the double post.  A friend of mine bought me a copy of Erikson's the CRIPPLED GOD in trade paperback format.  It doesn't exactly match my hardback collection, so I figured someone here may want it at a heavily discounted price.  It's normally $20.  If someone wants it for $12 let me know--I intend to roll that into my hardback purchase of the novel.  Send me a PM.

On another note, I am mostly done with WOLFSANGEL, and really enjoy it so far.  Of course the ending is coming up, and from what I understand it is poorly done.  We'll see.
EDIT: So the book ends, and I discover there are 60 pages left.  It feels very much like that series of tack-on endings from the movie version of The Return of the King.  Still even with the crappy beginning and the odd ending (maybe could have been the beginning to book 2 instead?) this book was very enjoyable.  The savagery of it was impressive and perfectly fitting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:57:14 PM by Bookstore Guy »

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1737 on: May 01, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »
So I think I'm going to have to go visit Barnes&Noble to see how much the published book differs from the ARC I read, because there weren't 60 pages tacked onto the end that I remember.  More like 6.

Clockwork man rocked the house.  Totally awesome.  Loved it.

Finally getting to The Heroes, by Abercrombie.  Good stuff.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 02, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
Falling Under fell off halfway through.  She did some weird things stylistically that I didn't like.  I felt the dream sequences were weak and the last third of the book was a total cop out.  There were still some good moments, but overall I'm disappointed.  I'm now moving on to the last Vampire Academy book and The Windup Girl.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
So I think I'm going to have to go visit Barnes&Noble to see how much the published book differs from the ARC I read, because there weren't 60 pages tacked onto the end that I remember.  More like 6.

Clockwork man rocked the house.  Totally awesome.  Loved it.

Finally getting to The Heroes, by Abercrombie.  Good stuff.

Oh the last 6 pages were even more tacked on, but overall I felt the last 40-60 were kinda meh.