Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311249 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1530 on: August 27, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »
I liked about the first third of that one., tolerated the second third, and was annoyed by the third...uh...third.

You'll have to let me know what conclusion you come to.

Sounds fairly similar to what I thought. Honestly, overall I'm actually pretty fond of the book. The second third or so of the book did feel rather, um, leisurely, but not so much that I particularly minded it. The third part... Yeah. I was disappointed by Titus's decision there, because I had been looking forward to a conflict that ultimately didn't come (not in this book, anyway).

It's too bad because the decision that he did make was just as interesting (or could have been if I hadn't been so fixated on this other thing that didn't happen). So really I don't have a problem with what actually happened; I just think she could have prepared readers for it a little better. What kind of gets me is that I think this would have been fairly easy to do. At least, I know how I would have done it...

I expect this would have bugged me a lot more if I didn't have the next three copies out from the library already.  :)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 30, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
I just finished Corrupting Dr. Nice by Kessel because I had heard it was like To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, but it was far, far inferior. I feel annoyed.

Now I'm going to start the next Michelle West book in the Sun Sword series.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1532 on: September 01, 2010, 06:23:08 AM »
Finished the Atlantis Complex my Eoin Colfer. Well, I was expecting more from the book. I mean, the previous Artemis Fowl was just so good, and this one disappointed a little. It was funny though, that's always a plus. But the humor in this book even felt different, it felt more like... Hitch-hikers (though I've only seen the movie). I wondered if the writing got colored from when he worked on And Another Thing...

Or maybe I just don't remember the other books that well.

Anyway, not sure what to read next. Hmmmm.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1533 on: September 01, 2010, 06:50:54 AM »
Now I'm going to start the next Michelle West book in the Sun Sword series.

Oh, let me know what you think. I've the first of the Elantra books (same author under the name Michelle Sagara) and I have the next one in the series out, but I haven't read any of her West books.

Still working my way through Kenyon's The Entire and the Rose series. World Too Near went down pretty easily, though I will likely be very disappointed if we don't see more of one particular character. (Having started the final book, this seems unlikely, I am happy to report.) City Without End I had a couple of issues with, namely The Plot That Should Have Been There (But Wasn't) and The Plot That Was Actually Pretty Cool, But Came Out Of Nowhere.  Even so, the general awesomeness that is this series pulled me through it.

I'm not far enough into the last book yet to have formed an opinion of it, except to say that it reinforced one of the issues I had with City Without End.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
Finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. I found the ending very disappointing. Most of the book was basically Lord of the Flies with adults in a small town. I like the way he had alot of characters in a small town and mapped out the town. I found his main bad guy character a little contrived and he under the cover took alot of annoying shots at conservatives (I am reading for fun, not politics). I did like the Lord of the Flies aspect. Then on about page 950, he has this massive plot twist that rendered the first 950 pages relatively meaningless. He spent all this time building up a conflict in a small town, then through it out the window.

I did like the Kings reason for why the dome came down. I thought it was creative. When I picked up the book I figured this would be one part I would not like.

I have had the Thomas Covenant books on my shelf for 10 years. I finally decided to actually read it. So I am reading Lord Fouls Bane. I have not decided whether I will get Way of Kings on audio or read it yet. I really like the two people who are reading (same two that do Wheel of Time), but now I am reading that there is alot of illustration that I would miss out on. So I will probably read the book instead of audio. My reading pace is slow. I try not spend alot of time on the couch.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 01, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Oh, let me know what you think. I've the first of the Elantra books (same author under the name Michelle Sagara) and I have the next one in the series out, but I haven't read any of her West books.

I love everything I've read by Michelle Sagara/West. That includes 3 Elantra books, 2 Hunters books, and 3 Sun Sword books (I'm on the fourth). The stuff she writes under Michelle West is epic fantasy with lots of view point characters so it feels different than her Elantra books, but they're really absorbing.

One warning. The Sun Sword series makes a lot more sense if you've read the Hunters duology first since it continues on with many of the same characters. Also, if you read the Hunters duology and don't like it then you've only invested in two books and don't have to continue on with the next six.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1536 on: September 01, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
Sword of the Dawn by Moorcock
Queen of Sinister by Mark Chadbourn

Pretty sure I'm going to try for Horns by Joe Hill next.  Pretty excited to read it, as I enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box.  I'd also kind of like to read The Passage by Cronin, but that's a freaking huge book and I don't know if I can spare the time for it right now.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 02, 2010, 12:23:01 AM »
In the middle of Blood of the Mantis right now, by Adrian Tchaikovsky. The entire series has been fantastic so far.

Also, on a whim, picked up Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD! from Half-Price books. Half off the cover price of a copy printed in the 80's put it at a little over a dollar, so I figured why not. Didn't care for many of Brook's other novels, but so far I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1538 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:15 AM »
One warning. The Sun Sword series makes a lot more sense if you've read the Hunters duology first since it continues on with many of the same characters. Also, if you read the Hunters duology and don't like it then you've only invested in two books and don't have to continue on with the next six.

Duly noted. Thanks! :)

In the middle of Blood of the Mantis right now, by Adrian Tchaikovsky. The entire series has been fantastic so far.

Also, on a whim, picked up Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD! from Half-Price books. Half off the cover price of a copy printed in the 80's put it at a little over a dollar, so I figured why not. Didn't care for many of Brook's other novels, but so far I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

Ooh, I have very fond memories of that one. Never read the rest of the Landover series, though according to EBR that's probably for the best.

I'm still reading City Without End. Starting to see why The Plot That Should Have Been There (But Wasn't) ... uh... wasn't there. It's cool in concept and it sort of works, but it also sort of doesn't.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 02, 2010, 07:21:05 AM »
Yeah, Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD! is a great book. Pretend it's a standalone.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: September 02, 2010, 08:19:38 AM »
Yeah, Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD! is a great book. Pretend it's a standalone.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do. I might take a look at the second and third, but no further than that.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Agate

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 05, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
I just finished reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson, I am still in that happy place of awe and brain overload after finishing a great book. I will be picking the book up again many times over the next weeks; looking up different parts, and ideas as I let the story and the world sink in. So as not to confuse myself further I am holding off on anything new, so I am re-reading "The Name of the Wind"  by Patrick Rothfuss

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #1542 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:34 AM »
I recently (finally) finished The Contemporary American Poets.  I recently started The Brothers Karamazov.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 07, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »
I just finished the audio of Anathem by Neal Stephenson. It was not as hard to listen to as I thought. Note, It probably took me 50% longer to listen to than the length of the book since I kept going back. I also got the book out of the library for the glossary. I liked it. It is different than most Sci-Fi (which is what you get with Stephenson). Large parts of the books were discussions of philosophy and science. I got a little bored during parts of it, but that is what you get with Stephenson so I accept it. It is not for everyone. That being said, Stephenson's prose is excellent. He accomplished what he set out to.

Now I am listening to books 3-5 of the Naomi Novik Tremaire series. She is a very good writer. I am surprised I like these. As I posted before, I never would have started these books if not for posts on here and Bookstore Guy's review on his website. so thank you guys.

BTW, i am going to buy Brandon's book instead of audio. Went through it in the library. Too many good things in it to audio. This is probably one of those series where I will read it and then when the next book comes out (or maybe after a few) audio it to remind myself what I forgot. I did this with Wheel of Time and will do it with George RR Martin when (if() his next book comes out.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 07, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
also, isn't Dragonsbane the book that got Brandon into fantasy? Is that book good for adults or more of a "I would have like it at 13 " type book?