Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311148 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1425 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
Most Webber fans prefer the Honor Harrington books to the Safehold books (off armageddon reef) if you look at the reviews on amazon. I listened to the audio of the first 3. They are ok. I like what he is trying to do, but he is not that good of a writer. That robot/cyborg person is missing depth. He also solves alot of problems with discussions. you will see this in the next 2 books. People talk alot to come up with solutions. I get the impression that he decided to serialize the books so he can pump out one a year and there is alot of filler. I also think the good guys are too likeable. They don't have flaws and are too smart. I stopped after the 3rd one for now. He punches out a book a year so we will see where he goes with the story before I go back to it. I like the overall idea, but it is lacking in places. you will see these more in the 2nd and 3rd book. Not much seems to happen in the 3rd book at all.

Webber gave an interview on the dragonpage where he said he hurt his hands some time ago and cannot type. He speaks all his books into voice recognition software. Pretty interesting interview. The show after that they discussed what it would be like to write a book that way. I think they are worth checking out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 21, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
Seeing as I found the first Honor Harrington book to be decidedly blah, I don't really care what Weber fans think. But I do have a friend who likes the Safehold books a lot, which is what prompted me to check them out.

Your criticisms are legitimate so far, which is why I only classified the books as entertainment. (Though I don't have a problem with talking to come up with solutions.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1427 on: July 21, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »
Red Seas under Red Skies... not sure if it was better or worst than Lies of Locke Lamora, anyways it's an excellent read.

Currently reading this as well and enjoying it immensely. Also reading Grave Peril, the third book of the Dresden Files, The City and the City by China Meilville, and every Calvin and Hobbes book (currently partway through Scientific Progress Goes 'Boink'),

I didn't like Red quite as much as I did Lies, but it was still a good book.

And I thought I'd throw this pic up on the forum because it's cool to run into other Calvin & Hobbes lovers.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7716.0
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1428 on: July 22, 2010, 06:14:20 AM »
My copy of The Princess and Mr Whiffle has shipped!!  Woo-hoo!

Was worried for a bit because Subterranean has been saying that orders were close to getting maxed out and I ordered through Amazon.  Phew.

Can't.  Wait.   :D
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1429 on: July 22, 2010, 07:48:26 AM »
Finished reading Moonshine by Rob Thurman. Thought it was fun til the twist ending. Wft, how is anyone supposed to figure that out? Okay, so maybe figuring out wasn't the point, but if you're gonna set it up like a mystery/thriller, give me the satisfaction of at least being able to guess what'll happen. No scooby-doo moments, please!

On onto the next Cal Leandros book.

I'm kind of on an Urban Fantasy high. Any good suggestions? I've read Dresden, and Mercy Thompson (and right now Cal), along with a few others scattered here and there. Love to hear what others suggest.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:50:08 AM by Shi »

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 22, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
For a similiar light feel, try the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn,  Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter,  Bitter Nights by Diana Pharoah Francis, and if you really want bubblegum, the Sookie Stackhouse books.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 22, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
Depends on if you want Guy Urban Fantasy or Chick Urban Fantasy.  Most girls can read both, but most guys don't (in my experience).  DragonFly's recommendations are good Chick Urban Fantasy.  Guy-ish stuff has Lightbreaker by Mark Teppo is pretty interesting.  The Devil You Know by Mike Carey.  Something from the Nightside by Simon R Green as well as The Man With the Golden Torc by the same author (2 different series).  Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia.  Stuff like that.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1432 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
I'll second the Bitter Night recommendation.

Just started reading Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1433 on: July 23, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions! Yeah, I'll read books aimed at both guys and gals, so they all sound worth checking out. Looks like I have stuff to keep me busy for a while!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
Seeing as I found the first Honor Harrington book to be decidedly blah, I don't really care what Weber fans think. But I do have a friend who likes the Safehold books a lot, which is what prompted me to check them out.

Your criticisms are legitimate so far, which is why I only classified the books as entertainment. (Though I don't have a problem with talking to come up with solutions.)

I just finished the newest Honor book MISSION OF HONOR.  I thought it was entertainment.  Thing is, he writes a bit like a epic fantasy writer, and often is subject to the same criticisms as a Jordan, Erikson or Martin.  Sometimes he just gets too wordy.  Conversations and political meetings go for too long.  Weber's character internalizations are used to relay info dumps.  But regardless, I still enjoy his novels.  This latest one was pretty crazy with a huge body-count.  It was a solid book.  Plus it came with a cd of ebooks of every Weber book published through Baen.

But now I finally get to read something that has been on my shelf taunting me.  CRY OF THE NEWBORN by James Barclay.  My Import of the Month.  So excited...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
When I heard Webber's interview on the Dragonpage, I got the sense that he sees novels as a problem solving activity. He wants something to be solved, has a set of characters, then has them solve it. I think that is part of the reason behind the conversations and info dumps.

The safehold books are a great idea for a series. People get almost exterminated by an alien species. A small number go off and colonize a planet. The guys who lead the colonization are kind of crazy and think that if people ever get technology again, we will be whiped out. So they make up a religion that keeps people at about 1500-1600 european technology level. One woman from that period has her mind placed into a robot that wakes up 500 years later (or something like that).

chaos ensues. Cool idea. He certain likes the technology of that period. He is clearly an anglophile based on the Honor Harrington books and the safehold books. All of his navys are based on the Brittish navy from the Napoloeanic period. Even in the harrington books, the flavor is based on the English navy.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1436 on: July 25, 2010, 01:05:31 AM »
Way excited! Read the review for 'The Devil You Know' at Elitist book's and really wanted to read it. Right when I was about to walk out of the library book sale I found it! I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 25, 2010, 03:11:48 AM »
Finally finished Gardens of the Moon. I don't understand the magic system or how the warrens work, really understand the realtionship between gods and people, what the Zaghut Tyrant was (I may have the type of tyrant wrong), what Moons Spawn really is, and I am not sure what gardens of the moon were. I think the garden is where the tyrant died at the end. I also don't get what a puppet is.

I take it this is normal. Or I may not have read the book carefully enough. I did get that Kruppe is the eel.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 25, 2010, 04:37:54 AM »
guessingo, your reaction is similar to the one I had, though I may have understood a bit more.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1439 on: July 25, 2010, 05:08:04 AM »
Hum. Interesting. I have a library copy of Gardens of the Moon; I'm curious to start it.

Currently reading The River King's Road by Liane Mercel.

Oh, did I mention that I finished Nnedi Okarafor's Who Fears Death? 'Cuz I did. If I didn't mention it, that also means I didn't mention that it is awesome, which is a problem that would need to be corrected. So: It's awesome.