Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311473 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1410 on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »
so i'm working on scott sigler's earthcore at the moment, and just thought I'd mention this, as I know it's a popular place around here, but BYU plays a role in the beginning of the book, as the characters research the history of the wha wha mountains there.

Thought it was kinda cool i had at least heard of the place before, but only because of these forums.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1411 on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
Finished Leviathan Wept.  Interesting.  Alternately fantasy and literary, with some futuristic sci-fi stuff thrown in.

Finally getting around to finishing Twelve by Jasper Kent, then I'm going to read my copy of God Engines by Scalzi.  Couple quickies before diving into  The Dark Age trilogy by Mark Chadbourn.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:33:34 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1412 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:11 PM »
Twelve ended well.

God Engines:  Decent prose.  Decent characters.  Good ideas.  Horrible story-telling.  Horrible, horrible.  Info-dumps and maid/butler dialogue made up, essentially, the entire thing.  Twists with no foreshadowing at all.  And in the end mostly blah because of the presentation.

Reading Devil in Green, and except for the excessive POV jumping (thankfully, only between two characters so far) it's pretty decent.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
Just finished SM Stirling's gritty urban fantasy A Taint in the Blood. I liked his The Change books, but this one was a little over-the-top with all the vampire/blood/sex/torture.

Tomorrow I should have Novik's newest Temeraire book in my hot little hands. *Squee*
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Ahhhh, Swords & Dark Magic.  Just posted the review.  So delicious.

Reading Discord's Apple.  I went into it blind, and expecting that I was going to want to vomit every page.  Turns out it is pretty decent so far.  Who wudda thunk.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1415 on: July 17, 2010, 04:55:50 AM »
I just finished The Truth Is a Cave in the Dark Mountains, a short story by Neil Gaiman.  It was awesome.  It's in the Anthology Stories which Gaiman edited.  It's only 24 pages long so if you happen to be idling in Barnes & Noble like I was tonight . . .
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1416 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:15 PM »
Just finished Cat Valente's Palimpsest. Odd little book, and not for everyone I suspect, but excellent.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #1417 on: July 18, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »
Finally made myself sit down and read "Newspring"   Wow. I really didn't give it a fair shake before.  It was not in the least dry.  The only complaint is that it felt like one of his prologues because far too many threads were left unexplored.  The whole pursuit of the Aeil retreat, where was Tam al'Thor and his Bees, etc.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1418 on: July 18, 2010, 05:31:32 AM »
Speaking of Wheel of TIme, I decided this afternoon that I would "start" The Gathering Storm.

(I know, I know. I'm way behind everyone else.)

I'm now six hundred pages in. I should have realized that this was a bad idea.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #1419 on: July 18, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
TGS can be engrossing. No 'bone practice for you!
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1420 on: July 18, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
*wry smile* no kidding.

But the good news is it only took me all of yesterday afternoon/evening to read! >>;  Now I can move on with my life.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 19, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
I'm reading Jane Austen's Letters. I love her tone and dry wit, but I do wish I had more concept of what was going on in her life.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
Red Seas under Red Skies... not sure if it was better or worst than Lies of Locke Lamora, anyways it's an excellent read.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 20, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
Red Seas under Red Skies... not sure if it was better or worst than Lies of Locke Lamora, anyways it's an excellent read.

Currently reading this as well and enjoying it immensely. Also reading Grave Peril, the third book of the Dresden Files, The City and the City by China Meilville, and every Calvin and Hobbes book (currently partway through Scientific Progress Goes 'Boink'),
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 20, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »
I finished Off Armageddon Reef and am now on the second book, By Schism Rent Asunder. It's entertainment. Weber tends to wander from strict POV, which is disappointing, and having one character who is basically superman with his own personal spy satellite system and worldwide eavesdropping capability tends to reduce the tension, but there's a HUGE gun on the mantle I hope we'll see later in the series. I'm entertained enough to keep reading. It's certainly much better than the first Weber solo book I read, On Basilisk Station, in which the writing was poor enough to put me off Weber for a decade, though I did enjoy his collaborations with Eric Flint in the 1632 series.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!