Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311173 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1305 on: June 05, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
That is pretty bad...

I actually don't get the point of getting books signed. I don't see a value in a signature.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 05, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »
For me, it's not the signature in the book, but the chance to meet the author, brief though it may be.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1307 on: June 06, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »
Well, yeah. If I didn't have his signature people might not believe that I once shook Michael Chabon by the hand. ;)

(And wow, that is pretty shocking. I hope it was an aberration; it dismays me to think that people would put up with standing in line to get stuff signed by Card if he did that all the time.)

Just finished Julian Comstock. My feelings are mixed. And I've just started Diana Pharaoh Francis's The Cipher. (I sorta told her that I'd review her newest, so now I've gotta read the first three. XP)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 06, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »
Finished Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George and A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham last night. All very, very enjoyable books. Can't wait to get to the sequels.

Also alpha read Binding Mars, by Nessa, which I'm not sure if I can add to my 'List of Books Read'... very engaging story. One of those that rips you through, in a good way.

Before those, however, I have some others to read. Grave Peril, by Jim Butcher, Liberating Atlantis by Harry Turtledove, and finally getting back to Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky. The latter has a rather slow start which makes it difficult to get really into, but I'm enjoying it so far.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 06, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
Finished Julian Comstock the other day as well. I also found it a bit unsatisfying. I liked a lot of things about the book, but the end wasn't really among them.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
Also alpha read Binding Mars, by Nessa, which I'm not sure if I can add to my 'List of Books Read'... very engaging story. One of those that rips you through, in a good way.

:D
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 06, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »
I just started Runemarks by Joanne Harris. Anyone else read it?
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1312 on: June 06, 2010, 03:19:58 AM »

I think alpha reading DEFINITELY counts. In fact, it's so much work you can probably count it twice. :P

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1313 on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
Finished reading Small Favor by Jim Butcher recently. I love Harry, but now I'm scared because I'm onto the "dreaded" Turn Coat.

I'm currently reading The Demon's Covenant, by Sarah Rees Brennan. Who needs love triangles (though this book does have it) when you have brotherly love? Sibs rock!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 07, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
People must really love books to be an alpha reader. I have never been one, but I would think that the difference in quality between a book in alpha stage and a final book is pretty large. You are basically doing alot of free work for someone.

Then again I am sure that Alpha readers are essential. Editors are all well and good, but if you work with the same 1-2 people on a book, the responses and reactions are kind of narrow. Plus the editor will know you and know your work better than someone more external so areas that you both might think are clear are probably problematic to others.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:14 PM »
People must really love books to be an alpha reader. I have never been one, but I would think that the difference in quality between a book in alpha stage and a final book is pretty large. You are basically doing alot of free work for someone.

Then again I am sure that Alpha readers are essential. Editors are all well and good, but if you work with the same 1-2 people on a book, the responses and reactions are kind of narrow. Plus the editor will know you and know your work better than someone more external so areas that you both might think are clear are probably problematic to others.

Yes, the quality difference is relatively high. The difference is even bigger in the writing group stage. I've been alpha reader on a decent number of books and to answer your question, not only do I love books, but I also love writing and seeing the writing of others and myself progress. It's free work, but it's work that you can see progress and that's satisfying.

The one benefit for alpha readers is that they usually get their name on the acknowledgment page.

Finished Interview with the Vampire. It wasn't what I expected. Still mulling over whether I liked it or not.

On to The Kingdom Beyond the Waves by Stephen Hunt. My first steampunk. Also going to the library today for new fodder.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 07, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

Yes, the quality difference is relatively high. The difference is even bigger in the writing group stage. I've been alpha reader on a decent number of books and to answer your question, not only do I love books, but I also love writing and seeing the writing of others and myself progress. It's free work, but it's work that you can see progress and that's satisfying.

The one benefit for alpha readers is that they usually get their name on the acknowledgment page.

Yeah, I'm hoping for that acknowledgment page thing :P

This was my first alpha reading, and I enjoyed it, for the same reasons Nessa just stated. I love books, and I've never had the chance - outside of Warbreaker and writing group - to see novels in progress. And if I can give any advice or suggestions or even find something that could be tweaked in a way that makes the story better, or helps the author... honestly, that feeling is completely worth the effort.

Alphas reading is fun. I'd like to to do more of it. I'd also like to get one of my own novels to the stage (read: finished) where I can have it alpha read.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 07, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
Finished Julian Comstock the other day as well. I also found it a bit unsatisfying. I liked a lot of things about the book, but the end wasn't really among them.

I loved Julian Comstock, though the ending was a little flat compared to the rest of the novel.  I was rather hoping the novel would follow an Abraham Lincoln-type ending (if you've read the novel, it should be obvious what I mean).  It would have fit the novel well.

Nessa:  You haven't read any Steampunk?  It will be interesting to see what you think of Hunt's second novel (I don't think it is a true sequel, so you are good).

And if anyone cares, the winners of the Elitist Book Reviews contest will be announced today.  Sometime.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1318 on: June 07, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
And if anyone cares, the winners of the Elitist Book Reviews contest will be announced today.  Sometime.

As if.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:03:24 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1319 on: June 07, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »
Haha. Be nice, Dan!

Guessingo: Also, a lot of alpha readers are writers themselves. So instead of working for free, it's often more of a "you read my manuscript I'll read yours" situation.