Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311131 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1140 on: February 19, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
I picked up a YA called Bleeding Violet. It's used the f-word enough to be a R-rated movie. I'm kind of annoyed.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 19, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »
Well that just means more than twice.....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1142 on: February 19, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »
So, I've been told that max F-words in a PG-13 movie is 7.  Typical max seen is two, though Antwone Fisher had three and (supposedly) so does the PG-13 rated (DVD) version of Ever After.  Oceans 12 had 15 in it, though 14 of them were "bleeped out".

BSG:  Both of those books are on my TBR list, though Empire in Black and Gold is a bit higher.  :)  Am curious to what you think about that one, as it's had so many rave reviews.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
GEOSYNCHRON, as of right now (read a 1/4 of it last night) is awesome.  It, and the 2 other books in the series, aren't for everyone.  They are Business Cyberpunk.  But really, I'm reading this last one thinking "Man, these three books are kinda like if Bakker wrote SF..."  It had been a long time since I read INFOQUAKE (first book in the series), so it was nice to see a little recap of the prior 2 novels as an appendix in the back of the book.  Man, I usually kinda hate SF, and maybe i'm biased because of the "Business" overtones in the book, but this series is fantastic (if slow).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 19, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
I'm about halfway through Servant of a Dark God by John Brown. Enjoying it quite a bit, although his writing style feels like it uses a bit more tell than it should, but then again it's usually for things it can't show, so I can forgive it. Aside from that, and the occasional infodump - some of which are necessary, some of which I kinda feel aren't - it's a fantastic read.

Also picked up Mainspring by Jay Lake, and The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. Have read the first few pages of the latter, but not far enough to know for certain if I like it or not. Although since it's Steampunk, it's almost a forgone conclusion that it'll be awesome.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
Just finished Hunger Games.  It had a lot of problems for me.  Guess I never really got into it.  Vaguely interesting ideas, but not anywhere near what I'd expected due to all the fuss.  Unfortunate.

Well, it is YA, so naturally it's more simplified than if it were written for adults. That being the case, it could have been a lot worse. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a book I liked enough to have it be on my 'to recommend' list, but it wasn't a bad book. It was still interesting.

As for me, I recently finished the Codex of Alera series (6 books over about a month) by Jim Butcher and I really liked the series, especially books 3 and 4. Tavi has made my top 10 list of favorite characters.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:52:15 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »
The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. Have read the first few pages of the latter, but not far enough to know for certain if I like it or not.

Awesome, awesome novel.  Sherlock Steampunk.  I imported book 2 from england. George Mann is, uh, the man...his newest novel (being released shortly), GHOSTS OF MANHATTAN is awesome too.

SERVANT OF A DARK GOD is a very cool book.  It has flaws, but it is good.  Book 2 is already much better (i've read a 1/3rd of it), but of course you will have to wait until the Fall for its release.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1147 on: February 20, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
Well, it is YA, so naturally it's more simplified than if it were written for adults.

Truth.  It wasn't so much the lack of complexity that bothered me there.  More the way the story was told and how the characters reacted to given situations.  It was a decent read.  I wouldn't put it on my recommended list either though.  :)

Also picked up Mainspring by Jay Lake

Mainspring killed me.  Of course, I didn't really care for his winning Writers of the Future entry either.  Haven't read anything else by him.  Mainspring is all about the world and the newness factor, and so in that way it's more a Science Fiction book.  The story was lacking.  The ending doesn't tie anything up either.  It was extremely frustrating.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 20, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »
Also picked up Mainspring by Jay Lake

Mainspring killed me.  Of course, I didn't really care for his winning Writers of the Future entry either.  Haven't read anything else by him.  Mainspring is all about the world and the newness factor, and so in that way it's more a Science Fiction book.  The story was lacking.  The ending doesn't tie anything up either.  It was extremely frustrating.

I picked it up mainly because I read Green and loved it, and also because I'm making an attempt at writing a novel with Steampunk-ish aspects. I'm basically picking up every novel in the genre I can find, both for enjoyment and for research. I know there's a second book in the series, so if the ending doesn't satisfy me I'll give the sequel a shot and see if that ties up anything.

The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. Have read the first few pages of the latter, but not far enough to know for certain if I like it or not.

Awesome, awesome novel.  Sherlock Steampunk.  I imported book 2 from england. George Mann is, uh, the man...his newest novel (being released shortly), GHOSTS OF MANHATTAN is awesome too.

SERVANT OF A DARK GOD is a very cool book.  It has flaws, but it is good.  Book 2 is already much better (i've read a 1/3rd of it), but of course you will have to wait until the Fall for its release.

I'll be honest and admit something you've probably heard many times before. I picked up The Affinity Bridge based off the review on your site. I'd been looking for more Steampunk to read, and saw the review the first time I went to the site. Since you guys had already shown excellent taste (meaning taste like mine) with other reviews, I went with it. I'm only about three or four chapters in, and I love it already.

Servant of a Dark God is very cool, but the flaws in the writing style (which shouldn't really count as flaws, I suppose, but I digress) tend to stand out to me quite a bit. I think it's the writer in me, and because I usually read it before bed, after spending several hours writing. It's not nearly enough to make me put it down, though, and I have read far worse novels in terms of writing style. The plot and characters hooked me and hooked me deep from the first chapter.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
I just finished The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson #3) and it made me happy.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
Left Hand of Darkness was extremely well done... the ending was marvelous and yet bitter sweet.... very complex emotionally through out the whole book.

Starship Troopers is the least of Heinlein's Hugo Winners but still a great read... I had 3 test this week but took breaks to read it...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1151 on: February 25, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
I am 80% done with The Name of the Wind.  Words cannot describe the awesomeness.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1152 on: February 28, 2010, 06:25:24 AM »
I started reading Shadow Unit earlier today. And now I can't stop.

Help

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1153 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
I finished The Folding Knife by KJ Parker.  Was loads of fun, dragged a bit in parts, but I was left happy that I had bought/read it.  Though with this book behind me, I think that Daniel Abraham has taken a pretty solid stance in my "Favorite Author" position.

So, I'm back to Memories of Ice again.  But Mr. Monster is probably less than three days away from being in my mailbox.  After I get to read that lump of fun, I'll finally be able to finish Memories of Ice because there'll be no other books in my drop-everything-else-and-read-this-NOW category coming out for quite some time.

Thankfully.  :)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1154 on: March 01, 2010, 07:38:25 PM »
I finished Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind a few days ago, and it has stuck with me since.  That book is magic; seriously, I don't think a story has captivated me more in a long, long time.  It's easily in my top five, and may very well be my number one, although I should probably sit and ponder a bit before I make that decision.

Anyway, I picked up John Steakly's Armor for a re-read.  I have not read it again since I started writing, and I want to take a look at it through the eyes of an author rather than a reader.  It's a fantastic book if you haven't tried it.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot